Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM

10 posts, read 16,631 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, just registered today and I've decided to move from Plant City Florida to Arizona.
I've had friends tell me that Glendale, Scottsdale, & Phoenix were good starts but I was just wondering what would be a good place to start off at?

So I've been searching for places on craigslist and some don't seem bad, I'm thinking about flying out there to try and get an actual view of the places before committing the 2day drive out there lol.

What's a good place for someone that's trying to start a new life and a safe enviroment? like I won't get jumped for going outside and getting the paper or walking my dog lol

anyway, just a bit concerned about it and would like to get everything settled. I have to the end of this month to move otherwise I'm under a refrigerator box with the other homeless lol

sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm just a bit excited to be on my own for once and have heard some good things about AZ. That and it's close to Vegas lol
Appreciate the advice

Last edited by NickHalden; 08-03-2010 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
So, your 22 years old, never had your own place..

You have no references, and you are going to pack up and move to the opposite side of the country?

I wish you luck thats for sure. Setup some meetings with the temp employment agencies, and see if you can get a gig to get started.

It will be hard to get an apartment without a paystub unless you have a ton of cash to pay up front.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM

lol. why not?
I have about 5K that I can pay up front
but thanks
guess I shared too much huh lol

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHalden View Post
lol. why not?
I have about 5K that I can pay up front
but thanks
guess I shared too much huh lol
5k won't last long at all. You'd be surprised how fast that type of money can just fly out of your hands if you're not careful with conserving it (or if you don't get a job right away.)

A move across the country to a place you've never been before or don't know much about by the end of the month just seems like a recipe for disaster. Florida and Arizona are quite different ends of the heat spectrum.

I researched Arizona for about 2 years before moving here - knowing what to expect for the most part for many things, studying the major streets, visiting a few times...

Since you don't have that time, if you ARE going to make the move here - move here with an open mind... have NO expectations at all. That way, if you are disappointed in things here, you aren't one of those people posting about how they moved out here thinking it was going to be paradise but they hate it. Also, on the other side, you could move here with no expectations and absolutely end up loving it.

That's my advice.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 PM

I've hit a bit of a dead end here in Florida which is why I'm moving. Interviewees have told me that I don't seem enthused enough because I'm not. So I can use a new place. I've had a bunch of people recommend that I go out so that's what I'm doing.
I do have no expectations and I am incredibly cheap despite my age lol.
thnx 4 tha advice tho.
Y'all can harp me all you want but I"m a stubborn son of a gun and I have no doubt that wherever I end up at, I'll end up loving it

so for a person my age, which area should I specifically look at?
Scottsdale, Glendale, Tempe, Phoenix?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
You gave yourself the best advise to come out and scope things out

I'd suggest to start with Tempe and get here while it's still
warm to see if you can get used to the heat and remember
to drink plenty of water dehydration hit hard & fast

Might want to try some job web sites ya just never know

Welcome to the forum & Arizona !

Everything starts with a dream...GO FOR IT

Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM

I appreciate it and I've stayed in Vegas for a bit, didn't think it was that bad, Florida's humidity is killer though so I am sure that I could handle the heat

and besides looking at craigslist and jobs.net for places to work are there any other sites that I should look at?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 PM

13 posts, read 16,450 times
Hi everyone, just registered today.

I am 28 years old.

I have decided move to Scottsdale, AZ.

Scottsdale is an ideal city to try a new life?

I would appreciate any advice.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabarez View Post
Hi everyone, just registered today.

I am 28 years old.

I have decided move to Scottsdale, AZ.

Scottsdale is an ideal city to try a new life?

I would appreciate any advice.
My advice would be to go slow, do your research, save your money, and have a job lined up before you move.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHalden View Post
I appreciate it and I've stayed in Vegas for a bit, didn't think it was that bad, Florida's humidity is killer though so I am sure that I could handle the heat

and besides looking at craigslist and jobs.net for places to work are there any other sites that I should look at?
Arizona Jobs. Search Jobs in Arizona, Arizona | Jobing.com

CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site

Jobs in USA or Canada - Job Openings

Search Jobs. Find Employment. Look for Work & a Career | Monster.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area