Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,527 times

Advertisements

My wife and small child just moved to DC Ranch 2 months ago , just in time for the heat from the east coast. We did as much research on the internet as we could, and made a trip out here in the spring and made the purchase. We were looking for a single family home in a nice family-oriented community. We are also love the outdoors, so the proximity to McDowell Mtns was a big plus.

After I made the purchase, I discovered these message boards. Needless to say, from what most of you all say about N. Scottsdale, I was having very strong second thoughts about moving here. I was getting worried that our neighborhood was going to be filled with the "Real Housewives" and that my little girl was going to ask for cosmetic surgery for her sweet sixteen.

However, after having been here for 2 months. I'm amazing at how completely wrong everything was that I read. My neighbors are all extremely kind, hardworking professionals. There are tons of kids playing in the streets, and the community center has tons of activities for both adults and children. This is exactly what we were looking for to raise our family. Granted, we have spotted some plastic looking women driving Range Rovers, but the average single family home price is $600-800k ---- you're going to get some plastic people in that price range. We saw the same thing back east, and most people just laughed at people like that.

Mod Cut: Not necessary Thanks

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-14-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 04:37 PM

117 posts, read 251,369 times
Welcome!! My husband and I with our 8 month old twins just moved to Fountain Hills from the Midwest and we love it!! I agree with you about the "plastic people" Hope you enjoy it as much as us. Direc message me if you guys need some local friends to chat with.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,273,975 times
I'm just west of Troon Village and I agree totally about the people here, hard working professionals.
I've done more work in the last few weeks than I did for several months in California.
The whole environment makes me feel ten years younger.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,222 times
I'm from Scottsdale and i love the area you mention! Glad you found a great fit, and its unfortunate so many people tried to steer you away

Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,074,665 times
very glad all of you are happy with the areas you chose....I think I may have been one of the "downers" who made disparaging remarks about certain areas of N Scotts. despite having grown up in that area myself....

my concern is how the area has changed from a low-key, tasteful, "classy", desirable place to a somewhat pretentious, ostentatious, car-oriented sprawl of homes and self-important speeding drivers....yes, I know this pattern exists in most major cities, but it's what I've noticed here, too.....

but happy you are liking it....

Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 AM

7 posts, read 11,319 times
IMO its jealous people that bash Scottsdale. Mod Cut..Not necessary. To each his own, live life and be happy.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-14-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,087,915 times
Glad you like it, I guess it isn't for everyone but I found Scottsdale to be a nice part of town. There are all walks of life around Phoenix, I have some very "fake" friends but I also have some really down to earth friends. It all depends on what you choices you make.
Glad you like it, and I think what you will find on cd are plenty of opinions in both directions. I'm sure there were a lot of comments on how nice an area Scottsdale was as well. To me it seems pretty mixed on here. Some good, some bad, just like the people of the valley.
Most people just pick out the comments of the people who feel as they do, but in reality you can't get your advice from a forum. That's like getting your advice from a gossip mag. Glad you made the move despite some shotty advice.
It's just opinion for the most part on here, there might be someone right now who just moved to Scottsdale and hates it. They post as well, we are all different, and don't all enjoy the same things. But I'm sure you are aware of that.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,704,992 times
Mod Cut: Responding to deleted quote.

I can only comment on my experiences, and they weren't favorable after living in the area for a couple of years.

In a couple million miles of driving over the past twenty years, across the country from New York to LA, and everywhere in between - I didn't collect as many "hand signals" from other drivers as I did in North Scottsdale. Often, these same drivers would pass on both sides, even if there wasn't a ROAD where they were driving.

Watching 3-5 people continue to make left turns after a traffic light turned red, despite the camera taking their pictures was regular occurrence in the areas that I frequented in Scottsdale.

Shopping for groceries was an experience as well, I had my toes run over multiple times because my fellow shoppers were in such a hurry to get past/around/over me.

I had people cut in line when I was trying to buy a few slices of cheese from the deli - that never happened to me in Detroit.

I really can't say if it was my "socioeconomic prejudices" or my American car, or my dollar-store-sunglasses that caused other residents to believe they were more important and that their time was "worth" more than mine, but that was my experience.

One of the residents in my neighborhood frequented that same gas station I did, at similar times. She would routinely leave the top down and the engine running on her $90K+ sportscar while she casually walked in and picked up a Dasani. That seemed "out of touch" with reality to me.

If my first experiences with living in AZ had been in North Scottsdale, I would have packed up, left, and never looked back.

I'm glad your experiences are different, but that doesn't make me wrong.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-14-2010 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area