Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,267,072 times

Advertisements

When buying perishables you should go straight from the store to home. Unless you have cold storage. There used to be a chart for dairy products. It listed product temperature not storage room temp. It also mentioned time at temp.

Can't remember much. That was the 70s. But 45°F was as hot as you wanted your milk to get. 1 hr at that temp and bacteria started growing. A few minutes, no prob. Usually that first growth of bacteria was just a "quality" (taste) matter.

As to safety issues with kids and pets. It ain't worth it. Take 'em with you or leave 'em at home. That said I can remember my Mom leaving us kids in the car in the 60s. Windows all the way down, stern warning about what would happen if we touched the brakes. She was never actually out of sight. Would turn around and give us a stern look from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,598,757 times
My method when I'm just going away from my truck for a short amount of time is to lock it up and bring the spare key with me to lock it and keep it running. It just gets so damn hot in there and takes FOREVER to cool back down.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Do not leave cans of soda or beer in your car. Kaboom! This applies from March through early November.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Do not leave cans of soda or beer in your car. Kaboom! This applies from March through early November.
Yep! I can attest to this as my son forgot a 12 pack of coke that decorated the whole inside of his new car. Even after having a detailer work on it for several hours never did get it all out of the headliner.
Pillsbury (canned) Biscuits/Rolls are also real interesting when exposed to heat.
Example (true story):
In Whitefish MT lady calls 911 in grocery store parking lot saying she thinks she's been shot, she heard a big bang and something hit her head. She tells the dispatcher she can feel her brain hanging out of the back of her head... HURRY I'm dying!!

Ambulance and PD arrive to find her sitting in her car and upon closer inspection of her head find biscuit dough stuck in her hair and the remnants of a can in the back seat.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:59 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,622,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Pillsbury (canned) Biscuits/Rolls are also real interesting when exposed to heat.
Example (true story):
In Whitefish MT lady calls 911 in grocery store parking lot saying she thinks she's been shot, she heard a big bang and something hit her head. She tells the dispatcher she can feel her brain hanging out of the back of her head... HURRY I'm dying!!

Ambulance and PD arrive to find her sitting in her car and upon closer inspection of her head find biscuit dough stuck in her hair and the remnants of a can in the back seat.
According to Snopes, this particular story has been making the rounds for a while, like since the '90's.snopes.com: The Biscuit Bullet

Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
According to Snopes, this particular story has been making the rounds for a while, like since the '90's.snopes.com: The Biscuit Bullet
Thought that might be the case but it sure sounded good when told to me (makes a good story with a point at the end) and given heat inside car and those cans are in fact "poppin' fresh" I figure that there's probably some truth to the story. Time to send this to Mythbusters??!

I would have never guessed soda cans would have blown up until moving to AZ and talking with beer/soda delivery guys about how they have explosions on occasion in their trucks.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:46 AM

129 posts, read 187,524 times
Gosh! 180 degrees on the dash of a suv!
That's gotta do major damage to a car's interior!
I usually park facing away from the sun, in the shade or use windshield shades, with the windows cracked, while shopping. Thankfully, we do have a 2 car garage at home, facing north.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,267,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Thought that might be the case but it sure sounded good when told to me (makes a good story with a point at the end) and given heat inside car and those cans are in fact "poppin' fresh" I figure that there's probably some truth to the story. Time to send this to Mythbusters??!

I would have never guessed soda cans would have blown up until moving to AZ and talking with beer/soda delivery guys about how they have explosions on occasion in their trucks.
In the 70s working at a local grocery, we were disposing expired biscuits in the back room. The temp wasn't hot, mid 70ish, the biscuits were several days expired. We probably had around 10 cases to dispose.

Somebody dropped a can and it hit on the end at a slight angle. The can shot up 5 or 6 feet in the air trailing biscuits like a rocket. Like true rocket scientists we began experimenting. Most of the cans if they hit on the end with just the slight angle would "rocket" into the air trailing biscuits. It was cool!

There were four of us aged 16-19 and of course the inevitable happened. Somebody threw a biscuit at one of the others. All the biscuits ended up all over the walls and floor and us. Not so cool cleaning it up.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Friends with kids also warn of leaving crayons in the car on a hot day. It makes quite the mess!

Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,622,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
In the 70s working at a local grocery, we were disposing expired biscuits in the back room. The temp wasn't hot, mid 70ish, the biscuits were several days expired. We probably had around 10 cases to dispose.

Somebody dropped a can and it hit on the end at a slight angle. The can shot up 5 or 6 feet in the air trailing biscuits like a rocket. Like true rocket scientists we began experimenting. Most of the cans if they hit on the end with just the slight angle would "rocket" into the air trailing biscuits. It was cool!

There were four of us aged 16-19 and of course the inevitable happened. Somebody threw a biscuit at one of the others. All the biscuits ended up all over the walls and floor and us. Not so cool cleaning it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Friends with kids also warn of leaving crayons in the car on a hot day. It makes quite the mess!
WARNING: Friends don't let friends play with tall cans of biscuit dough... nor should they allow crayons into their vehicles -- during HOT Arizona days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: