Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:50 PM

568 posts, read 1,207,185 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm seriously considering getting a block fence around my back yard to provide more security and privacy (especially since I've got 2 alleys bordering my property). But before meeting with any contractors, I'd like to get a sense of what to expect in terms of costs.

In doing a rough estimate of my measurements, this is what I came up with:

The perimeter of my fence would need to be about 184 ft. If the height of the wall is about 8ft.(including the footer), and the width is .66 ft(=8 inches, assuming the standard 16x8x8 block), then I'm coming up with about 971 cubic ft, which equals about 36 cubic yards.

But my question is, how do contractors usually charge and calculate? Do they give you a figure for how many $ per sq. ft, yard, or per block? And do they usually separate costs of cement vs. labor, etc?

Anyone have any experience with having this done?

My neighbor, btw, who has roughly the same size yard, was quoted a price of $4,600, including labor, materials, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Good question, Xica.

My only experience was with a "Slump Block" wall around my front patio about ten years ago. The contractor seemed to be calculating by the running foot for an 8 foot high wall. I bet you're looking at "X" times 184 Ft for a standard block wall.

Back then it cost me 900 bucks for a twenty foot curved wall but I believe we're talking Apple and Oranges here.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
i dont like them i got em. they fall over & crush people and houses. cats consider them a stage for late night opera performances.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,181,147 times
Contractors typically charge by the linear foot. You have 184 ft so, 184 x cost per ft.

Most likely you will see 4 or 6 inch block. 8" will be extra. Stucco finish will be extra. Most cities limit height to 6' or you will require engineering (it's a safety thing) that will cost extra. Gates are extra.

Sounds like your neighbor is paying around $25 per foot. I think that is reasonable, but it has been years since we had ours done. You need to get quotes from several contractors. I highly recommend a licensed contractor. You will pay a little more, but if they screw it up you will have recourse.

Last edited by AZJoeD; 09-05-2010 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: add

Old 09-06-2010, 12:07 AM

9 posts, read 39,932 times
OK, here is what I know. You will pay by the linear foot. I have never heard of anyone charging differently. You will have a 4" thick wall... 4X8X16, except every 10' or so where you will have a 8X8X16 column. $25-$30 per foot is normal. I have used Rudolfo Bros (sp) in the past and they treated me right.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Great info, guys! Thanks so much...at least this gives me an idea of what to expect when looking at the cost.
AZJoeD, I didn't realize that for most cities the limit is 6 ', I was trying to look up that info on the Phoenix code website but it's not as user-friendly as one might want, so this is very helpful. I'm also relieved to hear that the standard calculation is per linear feet because it makes it so much easier to figure out! Also the fact that the 4 or 6 inch costs less than the 8 inch, very interesting.

Now, if you are still around and can answer this question, I'd greatly appreciate it:

If I should ever need to sell my house (hope not, because I love it!), I'm guessing it's a good idea to have gate access, because even though I'm not planning to ever build a pool or anything fancy like that in my backyard, maybe a potential buyer would? Not having gate access may cause some probs for them. But is this really something I should worry about? I mean, if I wanted a pool, I'd probably just buy a house that comes with a pool already, no?
On the other hand, security seems more 'complete' to me if I don't have a gate access. It seems gates can be unlocked or broken down, no? In other words, the only way to get to my backyard and porch would be through my home's back door. Hmmm...

Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
I'd still have a gate.... you can padlock it from the inside. You can get a gate that has a wrought iron frame with wood planks that isn't going anywhere. No one is going to break your gate down... they are going to hop the fence, if they really want to get in, but they aren't likely to lift a lawnmower over a 6 foot block wall.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
I don't think I have ever seen a walled yard without a gate. Typically there are on the side of the house allowing you access for trash cans, yard tools, etc. Get a steel gate and put wood slats on it to block the view.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Ah...that's what I needed to know! Then the gate makes sense...you guys are awesome! Thanks!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,181,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I'm guessing it's a good idea to have gate access, because even though I'm not planning to ever build a pool or anything fancy like that in my backyard, maybe a potential buyer would? Not having gate access may cause some probs for them. But is this really something I should worry about? I mean, if I wanted a pool, I'd probably just buy a house that comes with a pool already, no?
You need a gate. Preferably 4' or maybe even a RV gate. There are going to be times you need to get in and out of the yard. If do any landscaping, garbage cans, barbecue grill, if you AC unit goes out, etc. You don't want to haul an AC compressor through your house.

You can always lock the gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area