Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:51 AM

72 posts, read 234,492 times

Advertisements

Calling all parents Please advise! I have a 5yr old and a 11yr old...

Last edited by nehazaidi; 10-04-2007 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 PM

94 posts, read 349,504 times
California Baby...I think they carry it at some Targets now.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:58 PM

10 posts, read 36,878 times
I don't know if there's actually been one proven better than the other. I try to by a high SPF like 50. I usually get the coppertone spray so I can reapply easily every hour or so.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:18 AM

94 posts, read 349,504 times
You have to be careful with some of the chemicals used in them. Many use ingredients that are known to cause cancer. You can look at www.cosmeticdatabase.com and it will give you the breakdown of each brand and a safety rating.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,258 times
Default Best Sunscreen

Hi there,

my daughter and i use sunny days trukid sunscreen. i bought this for her at our local health food store because it's a natural mineral sunscreen and free of paraben and fragrance. my daughter has sensitive skin, and our pediatrician recommended mineral sunscreens because they are more hypo-allergenic. i always test the products i buy for her on myself first. and this one was a winner for our whole family.

best of luck to you! enjoy your sunny summer days!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 AM

190 posts, read 570,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil View Post
You have to be careful with some of the chemicals used in them. Many use ingredients that are known to cause cancer. You can look at www.cosmeticdatabase.com and it will give you the breakdown of each brand and a safety rating.
First of all, the cosmeticdatabase is hardly a scientific authority that has been verified and respected on a wide scale by the scientific community such as the National Institute of Health. Second, there is no evidence to suggest that these ingredients will cause cancer by being applied on the skin just because some of the ingredients may be deemed carcinogenic. Any Joe on the street can create something similar and post their opinions as to what is safe and what isn't. And I wouldn't be suprised if certain companies are endorsing this database so that it gets rated higher. This is a common scam on the internet today. Companies will create what appears to be a neutral third party website. They dupe the public by not revealing that the site is in fact paid for by a company(s) that are being endorsed on the website. A person thinks they are going to an unbiased objective source like Consumer Reports but in reality, they are going to a source that is secretly being funded by a company.

If you are so concerned about getting carcinogens from sunscreen then I encourage you to stop eating grilled meat altogether. Because unlike your sunscree theory, the medical community does acknowledge that grilling exposes your food to carcinogens. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are found in the smoke created when fat drips from meat, chicken skin, or fatty fish (such as salmon) onto a heat source. The PAH-filled smoke coats the food, which we then ingest. The second type of carcinogen, heterocyclic amines (HCAs), develops in meat, poultry, and fish that is cooked over high heat. What the medical community isn't saying is that you will get cancer by eating grilled meat but they acknowledge you are being exposed to carcinogens. The truth is we are exposed to carcinogens all the time. The problem occurs when the lay public starts associating exposure with causation because to them it intuitively makes sense that if you are exposed to a carcinogen then your risk of cancer goes up which isn't true in the overwhelming majority of cases

To answer the question, the medical community doesn't endorse any particular brand. The base ingredients of any suncreen are the same so one sunscreen isn't any more effective than another. You are paying for the packing, coloring, scents and promotion. What you want is a high SPF especially for children. I recommend 50 SPF for babies and children and at least 25 for adults. The other thing that is important is to reapply it every 2-3 hours. If you don't reapply it, it's as if you never put it on after so many hours have expired. Make sure to apply it to your lips, feet and ears because people often forget those areas. Certain lipsticks can actually burn your lips because the high mineral oil content of it can help absorb UV and cause burns faster. If you have a significant part in your hair or are bald, apply it there as well. The spray-on brands are nice because they absorb quickly but they can be difficult to apply

Be careful with branding. Physicians have caught on to the act and are profitting from a gullible public. There are companies that create a base product like a sunscreen or lotion. Physicians can then ask these companies to add orange peel and a host of other natural products to it and market it as their own product. You then put your name on it: "Dr. Smiths sunscreen" Mark it up for 40 dollars a bottle and sell it in your office. There are naive people who will buy this crap because they feel they are getting a better product because the doctors' name is on it and it has a bunch of natural ingredients in it. They prey on the hippie granola crowd who believe in all of this nonsense. This is a true story. This is happening all the time. A lot of dermatologists have their own skin care line and this is all they are doing.

Last edited by azriverfan; 06-18-2008 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 02:45 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,579 times
Just buy whatever has a high SPF.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
First of all, the cosmeticdatabase is hardly a scientific authority that has been verified and respected on a wide scale by the scientific community such as the National Institute of Health. (snip) A person thinks they are going to an unbiased objective source like Consumer Reports but in reality, they are going to a source that is secretly being funded by a company.
Quote:
Be careful with branding. Physicians have caught on to the act and are profitting from a gullible public. There are companies that create a base product like a sunscreen or lotion. Physicians can then ask these companies to add orange peel and a host of other natural products to it and market it as their own product. You then put your name on it: "Dr. Smiths sunscreen" Mark it up for 40 dollars a bottle and sell it in your office. There are naive people who will buy this crap because they feel they are getting a better product because the doctors' name is on it and it has a bunch of natural ingredients in it. They prey on the hippie granola crowd who believe in all of this nonsense. This is a true story. This is happening all the time. A lot of dermatologists have their own skin care line and this is all they are doing.
Totally agree with this! You don't need an expensive sunblock to get the protection you need. If you are concerned with certain ingredients, go to cosmeticcop.com, which is run by Paula Begoun. She has for years tried to demystify the cosmetic/cosmeticutical industry. Look around her site and educate yourself about sunblocks.

OP:As for personal preference, I have sensitive skin that gets rashes and burns from most sunblocks so I do best with the Kids and Baby formulas from Walmart and Target. Any one will do, but look for those that say "Doesn't sting eyes" as kids will rub their eyes with their hands and then it'll burn.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,000 times
try this link, the site has been pretty dependable.

Best sunscreen.
Sunscreen reviews say Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock is an excellent general-use sunscreen. SPF 45 (*est. $11/16 ounces)

Budget sunscreen.
While we found the best reviews overall for Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunscreen, No-Ad Sunblock offers similar (though not quite as long lasting) protection for much less.

Best sunscreen for sensitive skin and babies.
If you have sensitive skin or just want a chemical- and fragrance-free sunscreen, we found excellent reviews for Blue Lizard Sensitive.

Sunscreen Reviews: Best Sunscreen, Best Sunblock

Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Best sunscreen for sensitive skin and babies.
If you have sensitive skin or just want a chemical- and fragrance-free sunscreen, we found excellent reviews for Blue Lizard Sensitive.

Sunscreen Reviews: Best Sunscreen, Best Sunblock
Oh yeah, I forgot about Blue Lizard Sensitive! Kind of pricey compared to Walmart/Target stuff but very good protection and doesn't sting. I think you can get it at Walgreens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area