Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times

Advertisements

I just got back from 'CenPho' earlier today (7th St/E Indian School) and what really strikes me about that area is the cosmopolitan vibe whereas most of Mesa seems 'banal', for want of a different word.

The demarcation line seems to be Dobson here in Mesa; read that Tempe has more in common with Phx than it does with the rest of Mesa E of that major street.

Any comments good, bad, ugly or indifferent (within C-D ToS guidelines, please)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,790 times
I don't think anywhere in Phoenix feels cosmopolitan. It's too spread out. I would rather live in Tempe.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I don't think anywhere in Phoenix feels cosmopolitan. It's too spread out. I would rather live in Tempe.
Downtown does have some of that feel, because it's not spread out. Phoenix as a whole, yes, has a hard time feeling cosmopolitan due to the sprawl. Then again, Tempe doesn't have much of a cosmopolitan feel either. Mill Ave is a bit that way, but much of it is just college town oriented stuff too.

Downtown Mesa is nothing like either one. I know TPTB would love for it to be more like downtown Tempe, but I don't see it ever happening.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Downtown does have some of that feel, because it's not spread out. Phoenix as a whole, yes, has a hard time feeling cosmopolitan due to the sprawl. Then again, Tempe doesn't have much of a cosmopolitan feel either. Mill Ave is a bit that way, but much of it is just college town oriented stuff too.

Downtown Mesa is nothing like either one. I know TPTB would love for it to be more like downtown Tempe, but I don't see it ever happening.
I live near downtown Mesa and I know of what you speak of...........that area does not have the 'mojo'; not sure if its the heavy Mormon influence or what. Sad because there are scads of neat old homes with heavy vegetation, etc. where one would expect to see coffeehouses, etc.

Another (rough) analogy would be Tempe Marketplace vs. Mesa's Riverview......despite them being 2 miles apart. The former sparkles whereas the latter.............

Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Downtown/central Phx are about as 'congested' as Tempe-------the Light Rail bisects all of the above.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM

286 posts, read 678,346 times
Whether it be Phoenix,Mesa,Gilbert,Scottsdale or Apache Junction....I prefer the spread out towns,if you will,as opposed to Downtown Chicago East Erie Street High Rise Apt Condo 19th floor or Central Park West apt. condo.....where I suffered as a staight commission stock/bond salesman.Yes,their are Men who work 12 hours a day...phone in hand and kill themselves for money,only to lose most of it to a wife.
My plan was to move out here in 1969........but I LOVE ALL OF THIS BEAUTIFUL VALLEY AND MARICOPA COUNTY.............I HAVE MADE DOZENS OF TRIPS OUT HERE FOR YEARS,DON,T CARE IF IT IS 120 DEGREES.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I just got back from 'CenPho' earlier today (7th St/E Indian School) and what really strikes me about that area is the cosmopolitan vibe whereas most of Mesa seems 'banal', for want of a different word.

The demarcation line seems to be Dobson here in Mesa; read that Tempe has more in common with Phx than it does with the rest of Mesa E of that major street.

Any comments good, bad, ugly or indifferent (within C-D ToS guidelines, please)?
There are things in Mesa I like but there's is no cosmopolitan/urban spots. The main street has potential. The Old School spaces with trees and patios could be very retro cool if filled with the right businesses... they've simply never gotten a combustive mix.

That said, 7th/Indian School, while it has some businesses I love, is also pretty blah in terms of meandering. 7th Ave might have even more cool stuff, individually. But again it's not park and walk friendly.

As far as I can tell, the best "wandering" spots are still Mill Ave. and Old Town. But I can also see how these are avoided due to the college vibe and tourist vibe, respectively. Both have been torn up by the economy and have lost some big name tenants, but my hope is that this creates new opportunities.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:35 PM

725 posts, read 2,323,016 times
I'd say there's a huge difference between Central Phx. and Mesa.

Downtown Phx. pics

Mesa pics

Old 04-12-2010, 04:26 PM

I live near the Mormon Temple so I know what you speak of there.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,894,985 times
Mesa is the New Jersey of Maricopa county. It always gets a bad rap, and largely deserves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area