Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM

109 posts, read 364,279 times

Advertisements

If you had a tight budget, where would you live?

I am not concerned with who my neighbors are but just that they don't steal from my house. I would rather have a single family than be in an apartment.

So any opinions? I can't visit until January but what to know what to keep on my to see list.

Thanks for the insights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
A lot is going to depend on where you are working. A long commute wears on you. For me, I'd pick central Phoenix, (which is kind of a broad term... I'm not sure how "central" you are talking about.) There are good neighborhoods in either place, but if I were starting over, and had to pick somewhere other than Tempe (which is a great place too) I'd pick Phoenix.

Last edited by observer53; 11-24-2009 at 09:14 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 AM

178 posts, read 480,773 times
Observer is right to give you the best help possible a bit more info would be good

1 Where will you work?
2 Kids? Ages?
3 Interests? Nightlife? Artsy? Sports fan?
4 Vehicle condition and mileage?
5 Single Married Dating?

Knowing a bit about you will go a long way for a recommendation you will find informative and useful.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 AM

It's okay. I got a good deal being next to my friend in a duplex (but not in AZ). It will be vacant for January. For better or for worse, at least I know my neighbor really well. After a divorce from a bad marriage (read not interested in dating!), I need a new environment. Rural GA was not happening for me. I have three kids, old minivan but like occasional live rock music. Not in the same neighborhood where I have to sleep because I also like it quiet. I am renting to get a feel for this city and decide if I even want to stay longer than my lease. I am self employed and can work anywhere I am. If I do better than GA, I may add a job or two to the economy by outsourcing there. :-) No need for me to learn about social services. I can't collect unemployment or get ANYTHING as far as monetary assistance goes and not looking to start. ALL social services suck anywhere you go, and denials can be greater for single moms than married couples (number in family is a factor). I have kids who need access to social skills groups for autism but that's about all we will need anywhere we go.

Yes, Mesa went off my list with this discovery: http://www.mesaazcorruptionreport.com/letters.asp
But it explains why it was so cheap there for apartments and that was why I was asking.

Good luck to everyone and happy researching.

Last edited by leavingGA; 11-24-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Shift to Tempe, then... good schools, good parks, rec and library dept, good public transit.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks, I will consider it if I go for a Master's Degree in the near future. I like ASU.

I had wanted to be close to CA (without living in CA) so I could be closer to my nicer family members there.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
Thanks, I will consider it if I go for a Master's Degree in the near future. I like ASU.

I had wanted to be close to CA (without living in CA) so I could be closer to my nicer family members there.
It's a nice place to live, without regard to the Unversity. I live in the south part of the city, and we would not even know the University is there. But, I love having it a few miles away for the cultural and educational opportunities it provides. Any part of Phx area is a short flight to CA. (and not a bad drive, if you are talking So Cal)

Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 PM

So Cal, yes. I will eventually have a Ph.D. so being close to a campus is a necessity. I just have to spend time with pleasant company for a while. Thanks for the positive view, Observer53. I need tons of international places to eat or I don't feel at "home". I am a Philly native and used to all kinds of food that are considered weird where I am right now. Have a safe, happy and pleasant Thanksgiving!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
So Cal, yes. I will eventually have a Ph.D. so being close to a campus is a necessity. I just have to spend time with pleasant company for a while. Thanks for the positive view, Observer53. I need tons of international places to eat or I don't feel at "home". I am a Philly native and used to all kinds of food that are considered weird where I am right now. Have a safe, happy and pleasant Thanksgiving!
Tempe has a good share of international cuisine to choose from ... especially near downtown. Along with the usual sushi bars, there are quite a few Thai restaurants, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and Indian selections.

Congratulations, and kudos to you for working toward your degree. It's refreshing to run across those who are taking an interest in bettering themselves. Too many transplants look at moving to Phoenix strictly for non essential reasons. It's good to see a potential newcomer who has some serious goals.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Thanks ValleyNative, those are almost all my favorite places to eat. I am not a snowbird and will find the worst of the heat in the summer difficult to enjoy.

There is good and bad everywhere but as long as I can make MY goals a reality ( and not be stuck with redundant small stuff) I will be happy anywhere. There was no chance of even working PT where I am now because I am not a GA native nor can I find my major at UGA.

I have a long visit elsewhere before I can consider AZ my new home but find the discussions here good. There is nowhere else other than city-data to talk about a place before you get there.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area