Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM

72 posts, read 176,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Apparently you're not familiar with the concept of conditioned-response. In order to stop speeders, you have to change their basic behavior. To do that, you need a "stimulus of some significance". A uniformed cop on the side of the road will slow them down until they're out of sight, then they'll speed up again. Write them up a few times and they will change their behavior.
Hook, line, sinker. You've fallen for the ostensible rationale behind disguising a uniformed officer as a groundskeeper.

Posting a uniformed cop slows down virtually ALL traffic to legal limits. Posting an undercover cop slows down NONE of the traffic. But hey, hopefully sometime in the future when they visit the airport again next year, that small .2% of the people actually issued citations will be conditioned to slow down.

The only reason why this may affect better-than-expected results is all the air time this tactic has been getting in the media. Beyond that though, I refer you to my previous reply in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM

13,235 posts, read 21,860,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0zac View Post
Hook, line, sinker. You've fallen for the ostensible rationale behind disguising a uniformed officer as a groundskeeper.

Posting a uniformed cop slows down virtually ALL traffic to legal limits. Posting an undercover cop slows down NONE of the traffic. But hey, hopefully sometime in the future when they visit the airport again next year, that small .2% of the people actually issued citations will be conditioned to slow down.
You're overlooking two thing. First, most people don't speed excessively. Your post actually supports that contention by saying only .2% of the people are issued citations. So slowing down ALL traffic is not the goal, stopping the worst offenders is. Secondly, while only a small fraction of cars are pulled over, the sight of a car pulled over by a cop car with lights flashing has a LOT more impact than does uniformed cop on the side of the road doing nothing. People will be on their best behavior when they know that traffic laws in an area are highly enforced. Having a cop on the side of the road doing nothing is not an indicator of any such enforcement.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,273,236 times
The OP forgot to post the article. Here it is:

Phoenix police catch speeders at Sky Harbor Airport

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 AM

72 posts, read 176,369 times
Quote:
You're overlooking two thing. First, most people don't speed excessively. Your post actually supports that contention by saying only .2% of the people are issued citations. So slowing down ALL traffic is not the goal, stopping the worst offenders is. Secondly, while only a small fraction of cars are pulled over, the sight of a car pulled over by a cop car with lights flashing has a LOT more impact than does uniformed cop on the side of the road doing nothing. People will be on their best behavior when they know that traffic laws in an area are highly enforced. Having a cop on the side of the road doing nothing is not an indicator of any such enforcement.
I can see where this is leading, and you're attempting to drag us down into an argument where we debate irrelevant minutia while completely ignoring the larger problem: bureaucratic management at the upper ranks of almost all police agencies in America.

Granted, posting an undercover cop on the side of the road might or might not condition people to slow down the next time they visit the airport. However, the broader issue here, and one that everybody seems to be missing, is that we're being policed by a system that caters to a suite of processes rather than to the people.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM

13,235 posts, read 21,860,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0zac View Post
I can see where this is leading, and you're attempting to drag us down into an argument where we debate irrelevant minutia while completely ignoring the larger problem: bureaucratic management at the upper ranks of almost all police agencies in America.
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was a thread discussing an airport speed trap. My bad.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was a thread discussing an airport speed trap. My bad.
See, here'w where you made a wrong turn, kdog- you're trying to respond with logical, coherent facts that are on topic.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,706,603 times
I think the speed limit is artificially low in the area they've put the officer - there aren't any pedestrians there, and there's no merging traffic. That said, the fact that they decided to enforce the law there one whole time since I've lived in Phoenix (4+ years!) really points out the priority (collecting fines).

The whole "cops dressing up as utility workers" thing is patently silly - It undermines any respect for the cops.

Wear a uniform, and drive a marked car - or don't hassle drivers who refuse to pull over.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,211,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I think the speed limit is artificially low in the area they've put the officer - there aren't any pedestrians there, and there's no merging traffic. That said, the fact that they decided to enforce the law there one whole time since I've lived in Phoenix (4+ years!) really points out the priority (collecting fines).
Actually there is plenty of merging traffic there from all the shuttle buses with poor rear visibility pulling to and from the curb.

The article also mentions that they occasionally set up speed traps there because of ongoing problem, so the one time claim doesn't hold water. What do you go out there every day for the last four years to check?

Quote:
The whole "cops dressing up as utility workers" thing is patently silly - It undermines any respect for the cops. Wear a uniform, and drive a marked car - or don't hassle drivers who refuse to pull over.
I can respect being clever to catch people breaking the law, and they are using marked vehicles with uniformed officers to actually pull people over.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,706,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Actually there is plenty of merging traffic there from all the shuttle buses with poor rear visibility pulling to and from the curb.

The article also mentions that they occasionally set up speed traps there because of ongoing problem, so the one time claim doesn't hold water. What do you go out there every day for the last four years to check?
Actually... you're wrong, there is no merging traffic near that spot. I used the airport a couple of times a week for a couple of years... so yes - I claim "expert" status on the regularity of enforcement there.

It's possible I wasn't there when they set up previous traps, but it's also possible the author of the article mindlessly quoted the police schill about the frequency of enforcement - just like they exaggerated the danger to "pedestrians" - there aren't any pedestrians there.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
...the author of the article mindlessly quoted the police schill about the frequency of enforcement...
"Shill?" Rather derogatory term, dontcha think? Just because you disagree with a ploicy, is there any need to amp up an emotional response to that degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area