Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:35 AM

88 posts, read 269,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think there should be a Gilbert/Chandler/Ahwautukee forum.

To the OP, Val Vista Lakes is upscale
I've heard of "Val Vista Lakes" many times in this forum. Are there any members living in that subdivision?

Also I've heard of "Ocotillo" (of Chandler) many times. Which one is more upscale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Quote:
Upscale refers to wealthy. There are areas that are safe, quiet, clean and friendly that are not necessarily wealthy. Wealthy areas are not limited to Scottsdale. There are wealthy/upscale areas of Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe etc. What are you are arguing is something entirely different. You are talking about prestige and that is extremely subjective. For someone like myself, Scottsdale is not really prestigious. You can find inexpensive homes in Scottsdale. Living in the town of Paradise Valley is prestigious and is not something the average person can afford.
Quote:
This is a good point but you have to remember the context to which the person is speaking from. Remember, in most cities in the country, the wealthy or upscale areas are the only ones that are safe, clean, quiet and friendly. You have to live in a wealthy area to have these basic ammenities. In Phoenix, we are spoiled because you don't have to live a wealthy area to have these qualities. We forget how fortunate we are to live here.
Actually, upscale can mean somewhat different things to different people. "Wealthy" would qualify, but it can mean something more subtle than that. I live in what some would describe as an "upscale" neighborhood (it's really a relative term) but it is not a "wealthy" one as most people would define it. "Wealthy", for that matter, is a relative term too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post
I've heard of "Val Vista Lakes" many times in this forum. Are there any members living in that subdivision?

Also I've heard of "Ocotillo" (of Chandler) many times. Which one is more upscale?
It depends on what you mean by "upscale". Both are very nice areas. Do you need to live in the neighborhood that is the most "upscale" in the eyes of others?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,590,681 times
From your other thread, you said you are coming from San Jose with a $1M budget. Keep in mind that a $1M goes much further here than there. You can find homes in that range in the Val Vista Lakes and Ocotillo areas.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:

Yeah, Captain Bill lives there. He is our resident Realtor on this forum. I'll be nice and won't say any more than that

Old 10-10-2010, 12:22 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Actually, upscale can mean somewhat different things to different people. "Wealthy" would qualify, but it can mean something more subtle than that. I live in what some would describe as an "upscale" neighborhood (it's really a relative term) but it is not a "wealthy" one as most people would define it. "Wealthy", for that matter, is a relative term too.
Actually, it's not, upscale means wealthy and prestigious. There is no need to engage in esoteric philosophy regarding a term that everyone understands. Give me a break. I think any person with common sense understands what someone means when they are asking about an upscale neighborhood. The same applies to the term wealthy. If you are going to engage in that line of thinking then you can dissect everyone's question about anything on this forum. For example, if someone asked "What are safe neighborhoods in Gilbert, you could similarly ask "Well what do you mean "safe" neighborhood because safe to you and safe to me could mean two different things" and so on

Quote:
It depends on what you mean by "upscale". Both are very nice areas. Do you need to live in the neighborhood that is the most "upscale" in the eyes of others?
Again, there is no need to overthink and argue about petty semantics. The guy is simply asking about upscale neighborhoods in Gilbert. That is not a difficult question.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-10-2010 at 12:35 AM..

Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 AM

Thank you, Azriverfan.

When I was originally posting my OP, I thought people can easily understand what "upscale" is with common sense...

Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Hoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbgirl76 View Post
I live in VVL, but not on the lake. We bought our home last year when we relocated from Michigan. We liked the location and good schools. However, the neighborhood itself is just crap. The HOA doesn't give a darn unless you are a lakefront homeowner. Glad I pay dues to be a second class citizen.

I DO NOT recommend living here unless you have the money to be lakefront. I am hoping to sell and move elsewhere in Gilbert within the next 12 months. However, with the issues we are facing in VVL, were gonna have to find a total sucker to live here.
Hard to believe the hoa treats lake front residents and non lake differently???

Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM

64 posts, read 168,124 times
Our home is in VVL and we love it. It's so green and because it's not a new development, there are lots of mature trees. I'm not lakefront either but I think the HOA does an acceptable job. When we first moved from CA we were immediately drawn to VVL because it has a different feel. And while it might cost a little more than some areas, I think it's a good value. It's a low-maintenance vibe though, not wealthy or snobbish. Our HOA fees are small compared to many other communities and we have great amenities. There's great shopping nearby. My kids take classes at the clubhouse which is convenient. It's a wonderful neighborhood.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 PM

28 posts, read 88,764 times
If you truly want upscale try northeast Scottsdale. But, if you really want to live in Gilbert and you define upscale as larger better kept houses in upper middle class neighborhoods I recommend:

Gated areas of Val Vista Lakes
Jake's Ranch (gated)
Vintage Ranch
Artemina
Greenfield Estates (gated)

These are all neighborhoods which are retaining value better than most because of well-maintained homes, good locations and schools and frankly residents with higher income levels. I am sure there are others but these are the neighborhoods I'm looking at. Good luck

Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,869 times
Quote:
asufan, I was thinking the Val Vista Lakes might be nice, without knowing it's too close to the bad parts of Mesa.

I work from home, so pretty open to any decent locations.
I would respectfully disagree with asufan. I've lived in Val Vista Lakes since 2004 and know the area pretty well.

The Val Vista Lakes Master Planned Community runs from Baseline to Guadalupe, and from east of Val Vista Drive to Greenfield, and includes the shopping centers within that area.

Baseline is the dividing line of Gilbert and Mesa. Immediately to the north of Baseline (in Mesa) that runs to the highway 60, on the west side is the upscale shopping center Dana Park Village. On the east side of Val Vista there is a smaller office complex with Starbucks and a couple of other restaurants.

To the north and east of that area and up to highway 60 is an apartment complex and an area of nice middle income homes.

Continuing further north of highway 60 the communities become nice middle to lower middle income areas. Home Depot is at Val Vista Drive and Broadway.

North of that there is an area of nice mobile home parks. Many retired people and snowbirds are there.

On up to University, and go a little west past past Lindsay is a nice condo community with people of varying ages, in lower middle income community where I own a condo.

Continue further north on Val Vista Drive above Adobe and there are middle to upper middle income homes. On the east side of Val Vista there are large citrus groves that have very large (multi-million dollar) homes situated in the middle of the groves. On up to the 202 are middle to upper middle income communities.

Back down at Val Vista Drive and Baseline where Mesa begins, head north to Broadway, 3 miles, then proceed west to Gilbert Road 2 miles and then the communities begin to transition to lower income areas.

Val Vista Lakes is a middle to upper income community in a great area of Gilbert, near plenty of shopping, and two new hospitals, plus a cancer center to be completed in 2011, and I have never before heard anyone say that Val Vista Lakes is too close to "bad" areas of Mesa.

It is just not a correct statement. Drive the area and you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area