Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 AM

164 posts, read 774,026 times

Advertisements

I'd second ABF (U-pack) -- used them for 2 cross-country moves with zero problems. They are a interstate transport company, not a "mover", so avoid a lot of those issues. You pack, load, and you pay for the amount of truck you use, install a bulkhead (they fill the rest of the truck with commercial goods, not another mover). Cost around $2K for most of a semi-truck full of stuff.

I'd also second the idea that this is a good time to PURGE your stuff. Get rid of anything you don't really like or need, focussing on the BIG stuff (like couches). Ask yourself it the stuff is really worth the cost of moving it. Don't be like folks storing $300 of stuff paying $100/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper76 View Post
I made the same move a couple years ago, from Greenville to Phoenix. I sold everything I could, used a national moving company to ship my bed and 10 standard sized boxes of stuff and filled my car with the rest. It cost about a thousand for the moving company. I had no problems with them holding my stuff hostage. I chose to drive because my car got good gas mileage and I only filled up twice I think. I figured a Uhaul would be a pain in the butt, with getting gas and stopping for meals and stuff, while trying to maneuver a big truck. I also didn't want the hassle of a gas guzzler or a junker of a truck. I trusted my car more. I had a small dog that threw up 3 times before I even left Greenville, then she was fine the rest of the way.

I'd guess total costs were under $2k, including meals, hotels, gas, and moving company.
Dont mean to hijack thread...but did you have a hard time securing employment.....Looking to relocate to Phoenix myself from the CLT area...but it's kind of hard when you are out of state...Was it a good move for you...How much of a cushion did you have saved up...Do you miss the Carolinas?

Old 10-17-2010, 02:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,181,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Dont mean to hijack thread...but did you have a hard time securing employment.....Looking to relocate to Phoenix myself from the CLT area...but it's kind of hard when you are out of state...Was it a good move for you...How much of a cushion did you have saved up...Do you miss the Carolinas?
Actually, you did hijack the thread. Start a new one and you'll get plenty of responses.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM

hEY....Respect here boss....no need to get nasty.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM

675 posts, read 1,419,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmorgan7 View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I and our 3 cats may be making the move to Phoenix from South Carolina. For those who have made the cross country move, what is the most cost effective way to do this?

We have 2 SUVs, is it cheaper to ship or to drive?

Should we sell most of our furniture and buy new later?

I noticed most airlines don't allow pets in the cargo bc Phoenix is so hot...how did you transport your pets?

Is it cheaper to fedex our personal belongings or pay a trucking company to transport?

Any feedback would be great, this would be our first big move and we have noone to give us any advice. Thanks!!!

We made the ~1900 mile move from Ohio about 4 months ago. I documented some of the moving option decisions (self move vs upack vs full service) and the move itself in this thread here
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ay-coming.html

You may find some useful information in there about the decisions we made and why.

It will be a bit cheaper to drive a vehicle than to ship it. An SUV will be about 1000-1200 to ship, and it will probably take a few hundred gallons of gas and maybe some tolls to drive it. But- for the difference, it is great to have a second person to share driving one vehicle. We shipped one and drove one, with an 18yo and a small dog. There are plenty of pet-friendly hotels along the way.

good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,181,086 times
Quote:
hEY....Respect here boss....no need to get nasty.
"Boss?" LOL! I wasn't nasty - I was suggesting you'd get better responses if you started your own thread.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 AM

157 posts, read 454,514 times
Quote:
Sorry to continue the hijack. I had no job prospects when I moved out. I did have some money saved(couple thousand) and stayed with a relative for about six months. I got a crappy job within 3 months, paying about $10/hr. But that got my footing and money flowing and I went from there. I had no worries about getting a job because I had no kids to support or anything and I was willing to get a low paying job if I needed. Plus it was 5 years ago, before the economic problems. But then I tend to be a person with a case of wanderlust that will just pack up and move somewhere with no job waiting for me.

And no, I do not miss the Carolinas. I only miss my friends and the greenery.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 AM

Yeah..I hear that...Nothing truly to miss...Carolinas are wayyyyyyyy overrated. Out there..you have more options/choices to choose from regarding employment/entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area