Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 AM

675 posts, read 1,417,792 times

Advertisements

Well, the time is fast approaching for us to head west. It's amazing to think that this day that was once years off is now only 3 weeks away.

This week we're making final decisions on how to move- We have quotes from several companies in each of 3 different models of moving:

with a full service moving company (United, Allied, etc)- most expensive
self-pack type (PODS, ABF, etc) - cheaper
complete self move (Uhaul, Penske, etc)- cheapest

Leaning towards ABF- which basically they drop off a 28' truck trailer and you have 3 days to load it, and then they transport it and can store it on the other end if needed (which we will, since we're going to a furnished condo for 2 months while we search for a house).

PODS seems good but I don't think we can fit into one pod, and two pods puts it up pricewise with the full service guys.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with using ABF- Upack? Anything positive or negative to say? These options were never around last time I moved cross country (which was 31 years ago). Seems like a good option that will save thousands off a full service moving co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM

40 posts, read 131,595 times
We used them to move from PA to Arizona years ago. Went very smoothly for us. They dropped off and picked up on time, no hassles. Good luck with the move!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM

7 posts, read 16,073 times
I'm moving from SW Pa in a few weeks and decided on upack. If you do the drive it your self you can add $1000 for fuel to the rental. It is the same price to use upack. Plus you don't drive that truck cross country. It is not a easy drive!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:45 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,941,260 times
I have no insight (yet) as to moving companies... just wanted to let ya know I'm JEALOUS!!!! ♥♥♥ Best of luck on the move!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM

209 posts, read 503,656 times
We moved cross country a few to many times and done the Budget Uhaul thing. Figure on atleast $1000 for fuel. I am with you I am going to look at PODS next time as well so that way I can get across the country faster this time and not have to spend 2 nights in a hotel room and added food cost.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:24 PM

675 posts, read 1,417,792 times
Thanks for the replies. I've made the decision we're gonna go with the ABF/Upack option. There are a few wrinkles in our move that factored into the decision. Such as needing to get about 800 lbs of stuff to my son's place in TX. He's been on his own for a decade now so it's time to get all his crap outta my house! Plus a few pieces of furniture we're giving him.

So, we'll rent a 6x12 uhaul trailer filled with his stuff and tow it with my trailblazer. Plus that way we can take some things we'll need in our daily life for the next 2 months and the ABF truck can just go straight to storage. I really like the fact that we won't have to unpack a moving truck into a storage unit, and then rent another truck a few months from now to clear it out.

PODS was cheaper- about 75% of the ABF- but it was half the size. A POD holds 1024cf and a 28' ABF trailer is 2016cf. sooooo, we couldn't find a good way to make the PODS work since I estimate we have about 1800cf.

Anyway, Departure Day is 3 weeks from tomorrow. A lot of work to do between now and then. I've moved quite a few times in the past 30 years, but it's always been within 20 miles, so we've always been able to play it by ear, take our time with multiple trips between places. Sort of just make it up as you go. This kind of move I'm finding out takes a lot more consideration and planning.
(where's the "worry" smiley with sweat dripping off its little round head)

SGTFDA- what route are you taking?

canibeyou- I know how you feel- I've lurked here a long time and felt that many times. Your time will come.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,073 times
Zathras
I need to check with my Sister in-law who lives in Scottsdale. She drove out in a uhaul. Said the mountain route in NM was a nightmare.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM

91 posts, read 246,750 times
Zathara's

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but we are moving as well not as far we are about a 8 hour drive from Phoenix now is SW Colorado but the mountain route is a Nightmare it is very twisty and quick changes in elevation. My poor daughter got sick twice. Anyway my question is how do you estimate the weight of your belongings so that you can choose the correct option?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 AM

426 posts, read 1,308,522 times
Keep in mind that the ABF trailer will be out in the summer heat while you're between houses.

PODS keeps their containers in an air cooled facility that is 20 degrees cooler than the outside air. We had our stuff stored in two PODS last summer for two months and everything made it ok from Texas.

PODS is also negotiable with their prices. I gave them the price for ABF and they came down several hundred dollars. Also, if you use a second PODS container, they'll give you a break on the price.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM

122 posts, read 720,254 times
Congrats! I'll be moving to Peoria in 20 days, and I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area