Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM

13 posts, read 40,071 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am applying to various law schools and have been offered a scholarship to Phx School of Law. I am currently living in KY and would have to uproot from here (trust me, I won't miss this place) to attend school anyway, but would like to know what the local rep of PSL is. They just got their ABA accreditation in May, so I worry that I may move my fam cross country, pay $$$ for a JD, and then not find employment because Phoenicians don't trust lawyers from PSL. Does anyone know lawyers who came out of Phoenix or have any valid (as in, non biased but educated, not just heresy) opinions of the school and its graduates? Money is not that big of an issue to me, as long as I can pay back student loans. ( I currently owe $25,000 for undergrad and will take out about $60,000 more) I am not interested in BigLaw but instead plan to go into the public sector and prosecutor's office. My current job pays less than $20,000 a yr so as long as we can do better than that, I'm good! TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Just to give you my frame of reference, I'm a NOT recent graduate of ASU's law school.

It's pretty early to say very much, since the first class at PSL only graduated two years ago. Since you are worried about whether Phoenicians "trust" the school, I assume you plan to stay here after graduation. Their bar passing rate has been very good; if you are looking at a job in a city or county prosecutor's office, and do well in school, and interview well, etc., I would think you would be considered equally to anyone else with similar qualifications. I would think the local legal community would think better of PSL than someone in another state who might not be so familiar with it.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks, observer. I do plan on staying, provided y'alls summer doesn't fry me I have pretty bad osteo arthritis in my foot/leg (from a car accident) so I'm hoping the dry heat works to my advantage. Also, our winters seem to get colder and colder (and the cold HURTS forever...right now its 38 degrees in the morning and 75-80 during the day, but I can't enjoy b/c that initial 38 causes pain that lasts for at least a day) so I am pretty much done with snow and bone chilling cold. I figure that I'd treat summer in AZ like winter in KY: stay inside as much as possible! I like PSL b/c they are supposed to teach in a more practical manner than most law schools; instead of learning the theory of law you actually learn how to practice, which is why they are doing so well at the Bar, I think. I just got my BS in May, but prior to that I was going to school full time while working 50+ hrs a week at my job; my GPA did drop from a 3.85 after I started working so much to a 3.24 and I was unable to properly study for the LSAT (scored a 164) but I am hoping that I will at least survive law school since I will not be working and can focus fully on class. I keep hearing that the first year will kick my ass, and that worries me. However, I am thinking that moving to Phx will give me so many more options than I have now (population of my town is 1200, nearest city is 30,000 ppl. My degree is in Political science...in this town I can flip burger or stay at my current nanny job!) that even if I don't cut it I will be able to gain meaningful employment elsewhere. Am I being totally naive?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM

No, not totally, i think this is a good move. First year is a big grind, but it may be somewhat different at PSL than at the more traditional "beat you over the head with Socratic method" law schools. It will be a big change for you, but an exciting one. Send me a DM if you need any more info, now or later.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,054 times
I graduated from a top 100 law school a few years ago, am licensed in Nevada and Arizona, got a few years experience in Nevada and then decided to move to Phoenix. Big mistake, there are absolutely no jobs. I've interviewed at multiple state and local municipalities as well as numerous small/mid sized firms with nothing coming through. Unless you can go for free or for very very little AND you have great connections with a guarantee of a job I would recommend not digging yourself into a bunch of debt getting a degree with only a small likelihood of even a decent career.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 PM

In the present economy, things are not good, true. Three years out, I hope things are getting better. I agree with avoiding as much debt as possible, but waiting to even start school until the economy turns around may or may not be an option for the OP.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Nick, what type of law do you practice? What were your stats at your school? I won't be able to go for free (more like half price) nor would I work that first year ( I'd probably take out an additional $15,000 to live on) so I'd definitely have debt. Heck, I already have $25K in debt for my undergrad (tuition was $20,000 a year but I also worked full time so I was able to pay my own way in addition to scholarships) I can't see myself doing anything else besides being an attorney, so I am just going to work hard,network, and hope for the best. I know that law is not as lucrative as everyone believes, and I am trying to be realistic about it (I know having a JD doesn't mean I get handed a big house,nice car, and six figure income) but not going to school at all is really not feasible for me because I really do want to practice law and if I don't give myself that chance I will always wonder "what if?" I'd rather sleep in a cardboard box and know I at least tried then in my house thinking of what may have been. I do appreciate the advice, though! I've been offered scholarships to other places (Chase in northern KY, ONU college of law in Ada, and West Virginia U) but I thought there'd be more opportunity in Phx since there aren't a ton of law schools in the area to compete with and there's so many cities close by.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
Just curious - why not ASU's law school?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 PM

ASU accepted but didn't offer any scholarship money. I am trying to keep costs down in case the economy doesn't pick up.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,054 times
If you are dead set on going to law school I'd rather take the debt and go to a good one (ASU) rather than an unranked/unaccredited school.

Also, I'll PM you later to answer your questions, I've got an interview at 11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area