Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM

660 posts, read 1,398,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Saying that, if you get paid to service a loan even if the buyer doesn't pay you, you can still deduct that from the proceeds. So what is the banks hurry other than it's their job to represent their client?? It's other peoples money.

I think it's a combo of reasons for how they behave. All my initial point was the "stick it to the bank" attitude doesn't matter in many case. In some circumstances, they just don't care as the admin fees add up while they charge the owner (Freddie and Fannie).

An analogy: If the mortgage holder / homeowner doesn't pay the city taxes, do they lose out?? Nope! It comes out of the proceeds.
I don't believe the Loan Servicing Companies get paid if the loan isn't collected. Same as a collection agency. The winner in all this seems to be the Banks that originated the loans, not whom they sell it off to.

As for proceeds, I am assuming you mean at the time of the sale of the home. If the Bank doesn't get the full loan value at the time of sale but still is responsible for paying city taxes, etc., then those who benefit are the city and the new purchaser. Not seeing how the Bank profits from this.

Until you can show me actual data where the Banks are able to collect additional fees for holding up finalization of a Foreclosure, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,060 times
The banks benefit, because they delay putting it on their books and finally taking the huge right down, when it sells. The accounting methods they are allowed to use makes us no better than Greece.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,441,066 times
it is a good news for me today..

Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 AM

9,805 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Phoenix home sales drop for fifth-straight month in September: DataQuick « HousingWire

Old 11-05-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
The winner in all this seems to be the Banks that originated the loans, not whom they sell it off to.
That is what I have been saying. If BoA originated the loan and Fannie is on the hook by guaranteeing it (or later because BoA sold it when it was under performing to Fannie or Freddie) then the servicer BoA in this example), not the company now holding the note, wins.

Quote:
I don't believe the Loan Servicing Companies get paid if the loan isn't collected.
I never said they get paid if the loan isn't collected. I think you are viewing service fees as late fees. I'm speaking of administration fees. Fees the "investor" pays to a company like BoA or Wells or GMAC.

Quote:
As for proceeds, I am assuming you mean at the time of the sale of the home. If the Bank doesn't get the full loan value at the time of sale but still is responsible for paying city taxes, etc., then those who benefit are the city and the new purchaser. Not seeing how the Bank profits from this.
It was an analogy (per my post). The bank would not profit for city taxes. It was an example on how the city is 1st in line. The company servicing is 1st in line for the servicing. It doesn't matter if the borrower doesn't pay.

Saying all of that, BoA is BLEEDING on loans that they could not push back to the government. They are at their tipping point. Two big to fail part II?? We shall see now that the political climate has changed.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM

523 posts, read 938,355 times
khuntrevor,

"The banks benefit, because they delay putting it on their books and finally taking the huge right down, when it sells. The accounting methods they are allowed to use makes us no better than Greece."

You are right. It's also one of those things where most people know it, and there's a lot of frustration over the mirages put up by banks. The banks know most people know how they have manipulated the system at taxpayer's expense, but they continue to operate the way they do anyways.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Thank you for the comments,

Forbes released that Phoenix is America's 6th emptiest city, with rental vacancty rates at 19%.

The US Census Bureau ranks Phoenix as having the 5th highest vacancy rate in the country.

I'm sure many of you know that the office vacancy rate has been increasing and is now at 25.9% (Q2).
How can such an empty city have so much traffic during rush hour? I wish it were more empty.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:38 PM

523 posts, read 938,355 times
sheena,

Response of:

Originally Posted by EnicAZ
Thank you for the comments,

Forbes released that Phoenix is America's 6th emptiest city, with rental vacancty rates at 19%.

The US Census Bureau ranks Phoenix as having the 5th highest vacancy rate in the country.

I'm sure many of you know that the office vacancy rate has been increasing and is now at 25.9% (Q2).

Fortunately, traffic has declined heavily since 2006 in the Phoenix area.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:05 AM

660 posts, read 1,398,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
The banks benefit, because they delay putting it on their books and finally taking the huge right down, when it sells. The accounting methods they are allowed to use makes us no better than Greece.
That is opinion and not fact. Either prove it to me in actual data or I guess we will also have to agree to disagree.

I know from where I speak because I am a lot closer to the Banking/Finance Industry then I believe some of the posters here who are stating opinions as facts.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
That is opinion and not fact. Either prove it to me in actual data or I guess we will also have to agree to disagree.

I know from where I speak because I am a lot closer to the Banking/Finance Industry then I believe some of the posters here who are stating opinions as facts.

The recent accounting modifications have been talked in 500 + articles. It is a fact.

From Watchdog: Accounting Tied to Lack of Loan Modification - BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/blogs/money_politics/archives/2009/08/watchdog_accoun.html - broken link)

"Still, given the chance to value the loans higher, banks won't want to sell their toxic assets. Doing so would mean recognizing potentially big losses. That, in turn, would mean having to raise new capital -- thus lowering the value of shares held by existing stockholders (including management, in all likelihood); some banks, unable to raise cash, would go under. Better, banks figure, to hold on to the loans and hope for the best, or earn their way out of the hole over time.
That helps explain the long delays ..."

If you want a link to a couple dozen more related statements from major news institutions like the WSJ, just ask. The laws were changed for a reason. I'm not saying that is the only reason for the delays. But it has to be the case for some examples. No one can prove which ones were the result of the changes while others are a simple fact that the banks are backed up.

to your other point while I am no expert on banking, there are many banking experts that don't work in a bank. I'd consider the Elizabeth Warren a banking (watch dog) expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: