Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 22,031 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move closer to my husband's job and our friend recommended the area between 7th and 15th Ave. and Glendale and Northern.
Is this a nice neighborhood? In terms of safety, family-friendliness, nice/decent homes, crime etc. We currently live in Gilbert and have only moved to the valley a few years ago and are not too familiar with this side of town so we really have no idea.
We have a 16 and 13 year old and a medium sized dog if that matters.

Honestly we're a bit hesitant to move anywhere west of Central because we haven't heard the best of things but we're open and would appreciate hearing your input.
Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 12:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,944 times
This is a very nice area with expensive homes and flood irrigation. Green, lush and cool. High property taxes, I'm sure.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyB65 View Post
My family and I are looking to move closer to my husband's job and our friend recommended the area between 7th and 15th Ave. and Glendale and Northern.
Is this a nice neighborhood? In terms of safety, family-friendliness, nice/decent homes, crime etc. We currently live in Gilbert and have only moved to the valley a few years ago and are not too familiar with this side of town so we really have no idea.
We have a 16 and 13 year old and a medium sized dog if that matters.

Honestly we're a bit hesitant to move anywhere west of Central because we haven't heard the best of things but we're open and would appreciate hearing your input.
Thanks a lot.
This is a lovely urban area. However, as the o/p stated, it's also very expensive, though I certainly don't know your budget. Keep in mind, it is urban, so unlike life in Gilbert. The cautions about the west side of Central don't apply to the area you mentioned.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
This is a very nice area, one of my favorites in central/north central Phoenix, and yes, very different from Gilbert. If your budget can handle it, you will be fine.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:11 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,944 times
I am a native. I have always had a dream of living on a street called Rose Lane. I have a Phoenix City map from about 1956. One of the advertisers on the map is Del Webb. At that time he was building homes in that area and in the Arcadia area (56th. St. and Indian) starting at $17,000. The Arcadia area was much more expensive (like maybe $1,000. more). Boy, if my parents could have afforded that! Come to think of it, there's another address that would be really nice. That's Exeter Blvd.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,476 times
It's still dirt cheap compared with comparable homes in the DC area or California.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
My wife grew up in that neighborhood and I am very familiar with it. Probably one of the best neighborhoods in Phoenix. You are 15 minutes from downtown and 10 minutes from excellent desert hiking trails. My impression is that it is a very stable neighborhood, once you buy a house there you stay there forever.

Plus you have the added benefit of you can get a classic 50's era ranch style house for a fraction of what those houses would cost in the Biltmore and Camelback corridor neighborhoods. Only downside is that most of those houses were built in the 1950's, so you need to see if the house you are looking at has had the plumbing or electrical updated within the past 10 years or so. My in-laws are of the opinion that whoever buys there house when they decide to sell will probably gut the place, so why bother to fix the plumbing and electrical. So to say their plumbing is quirky is an understatement.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
That’s one of the nicest neighborhood areas in the metro valley. It’s well establish and stable, close to most everything you’ll need or within a short driving time. Homes hold their value and are a good investment compared to so many other places. I’m not sure about the schools but I would imagine they are good.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
Quote:
The areas just to the west and southwest of there aren't so great. Definetely some crime nearby. But the neighborhood itself is quite nice.
http://phoenix.gov/POLICE/ucr_monthly_violent.pdf
http://phoenix.gov/POLICE/ucr_monthly_property.pdf

Old 11-01-2010, 01:29 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,689 times
Nice large mature trees and lots of grass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area