Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 12,255 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24yo female who recently moved to Tempe from Canada for grad school.

I'm looking for a church with people my age who aren't intolerant or gay bashing, and where hopefully I can find a guy with similar religious beliefs.

I'd be okay with going to a large church where the old people have one set of beliefs and the younger people are more open-minded. I don't particularly care about the denomination.

Advice? Since I'm new to the area, even hearing names of churches that have a small chance of being what I'm looking for would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
University Lutheran Church 340 E 15th St Tempe (480) 967-3543 www.ulctempe.org

The ASU Campus Ministry is part of the community, so there are students. graduate students and former students in the congregation. It's an interesting mix of people, including senior citizens as well. Not a large congregation. It is a Reconciling in Christ congregation, welcoming to the GLBT community.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:42 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,346,794 times
Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, 6400 West Del Rio Street, Chandler, AZ 85226-1764
(480) 899-4249. (You'll find that near Ivanhoe and Kyrene)

I haven't been to the Chandler UU church, but the Unitarians have been very welcoming to me in several different cities at various times in my life. The members tend to be well-educated, creative, interested in current events, broadminded, and spiritual in a very deep and sincere sense, rather than traditionally religious.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,527,334 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a church with people my age who aren't intolerant or gay bashing, and where hopefully I can find a guy with similar religious beliefs.
I've not heard of too many (if any) intolerant or "gay bashing" churches in the area (although there are probably some, who knows?), but without knowing what you believe it would be impossible to recommend a church with "similar religous beliefs"....

Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I've not heard of too many (if any) intolerant or "gay bashing" churches in the area (although there are probably some, who knows?), but without knowing what you believe it would be impossible to recommend a church with "similar religous beliefs"....
The OP is asking about a church with PEOPLE who are not intolerant or "gay-bashing". It's true that there aren't many churches that preach intolerance and gay-bashing from the pulpit, but there certainly are those that have many people, if not a majority, in them who would fit those descriptions.

As far as finding a guy with "similar religious beliefs", that's down the road a bit, and totally up to the OP. I think she thinks that if she finds a church with a population that's in her age group and is open-minded, that it might be a place to find one.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,139 times
Re: Jukesgrrl-- i was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about your experience with the Unitarian Universalist church. i was raised Catholic but have been more or less anti-organized religion for quite a while now. recently stumbled upon an article on the UU and was intrigued by how much their "anti-creed" and beliefs allign with my own. still, i'm a bit nervous of going to a congregation on my own to test out a service. do people in their 20's really attend? or is it more of an older/family-type feeling?

thanks!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 PM

2,283 posts, read 4,076,661 times
I have heard a lot of good things about the accepting atmosphere at Asbury United Methodist Church - it is in Phoenix, not Tempe, but not too far.

All are welcome here. Whatever your age, gender, race, economic status, sexual orientation, condition of ableness, etc., we greet you as a child of God! While not a large congregation, Asbury is a regional church in that it draws folks from across the Valley: from Peoria to Chandler, from Goodyear to Fountain Hills. Our congregation spans the spectrum of life. Among us are:

* People of all ages
* All sexual orientations: heterosexual, gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual persons
* Employed, unemployed, underemployed and retired
* Physically and mentally challenged
* Teachers, musicians, doctors, nurses, attorneys, business people, those with "regular jobs" and those caring for families
* Singles, marrieds, divorcees, and those in a covenant relationship
* Doubters, seekers, questioners -- people from many or no religious backgrounds who for one reason or another may not have felt comfortable or welcomed before
* Those who live nearby and others who travel long distances on Sunday mornings to enjoy the peace of those who welcome them and share Asbury's core values

You can tell by their web address that they value inclusivity!

Asbury United Methodist Church, Phoenix, Arizona: A place for all people

Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 PM

258 posts, read 541,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
I'm a 24yo female who recently moved to Tempe from Canada for grad school.

I'd be okay with going to a large church where the old people have one set of beliefs and the younger people are more open-minded. I don't particularly care about the denomination.

Advice? Since I'm new to the area, even hearing names of churches that have a small chance of being what I'm looking for would be helpful.
God doesn't care about your opinions and neither does God care about my opinions, God's opinion is the only one that counts.

God is a God of love and a God of wrath, God is not some hipppie free love fruit cake.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
God doesn't care about your opinions and neither does God care about my opinions, God's opinion is the only one that counts.

God is a God of love and a God of wrath, God is not some hipppie free love fruit cake.
I'm not sure what this post does to answer the OP's question. This is not the Religion forum.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,093,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post

LOLOLOL, ha ha,
I think we should all take a bite of Gods fruitcake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area