Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:41 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
I never drive fast and don't care who is behind me. That is one of the perks that comes with getting old. I have this infatuation with milking my mpg and seeing how high I can get it with each fill up. I always look way ahead so as to time the lights without having to stop. (racing up and having to come to a complete stop at red lights knocks 5 mpg off every fill up) When I have to make a turn I always start coasting way ahead of time so I don't have to use my brakes when I get to the turn. Idling and having to start from a dead stop is what kills your gas mileage. In my mini-van if I drive like most people I only get 17 mpg. When I drive to conserve, I get 25+ mpg. That saves me about $10 every fill up.

My favorite thing some days to do is leave my turn signal on for blocks and blocks. So I don't get bored, I switch off between L and R turn signals. A fun one also is when your on a one lane road in each direction and are going slow, wait for someone to impatiently start to pass you by moving into the on coming lane and quickly put your left turn signal on. That really gets them back in line quickly.

Getting old is a bummer, but God did give us a few things to amuse ourselves with.
How about getting into the left lane on an artery at 5pm and drive at 20 mph. That should really be fun . You could even use the hazard lights during that drive.

I love your sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
Snow birds are welcome in Phoenix. People wouldn't have jobs without them.

I don't know what you people are talking about with slow snow birds. It's people in Arizona that drive slow. Anyone tailing me or trying to run me over has a Canadian, MN, IL, WI, MI, NY plate. We are the slow people here folks. Who else would take a raised Titan and just plow through traffic. I mean this is their city, not ours.

They boost our deflating economy and help pay our taxes. Without snowbirds we would surely not even have a city.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Snow birds are welcome in Phoenix. People wouldn't have jobs without them.

I don't know what you people are talking about with slow snow birds. It's people in Arizona that drive slow. Anyone tailing me or trying to run me over has a Canadian, MN, IL, WI, MI, NY plate. We are the slow people here folks. Who else would take a raised Titan and just plow through traffic. I mean this is their city, not ours.

They boost our deflating economy and help pay our taxes. Without snowbirds we would surely not even have a city.
Snowbirds are certainly welcome, but they shouldn't be counted on as a chief contributing factor to the economy. Your comments about how we wouldn't even have a city if it wasn't for snowbirds seems to be an attitude of the past ... like around 40 years ago. Phoenix is now the fifth largest city & 11th largest metro area in the nation, so our economy should be much more diverse, and less reliant on the snowbird or retiree factor. After all, this isn't Yuma, Quartzsite, or a Florida beach town.

As far as slow drivers, it's a combination of snowbirds, transplants, and natives who are the culprits. I've said many times before that people need to adapt to our environment of generally clear, dry weather conditions, wide streets/freeways, and roads that are mostly in tip top condition compared to other regions. With all that in mind, there is absolutely no reason to drive slow on freeways or major surface streets. Residential streets and narrower half thoroughfares are a different story.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Snowbirds are certainly welcome, but they shouldn't be counted on as a chief contributing factor to the economy. Your comments about how we wouldn't even have a city if it wasn't for snowbirds seems to be an attitude of the past ... like around 40 years ago. Phoenix is now the fifth largest city & 11th largest metro area in the nation, so our economy should be much more diverse, and less reliant on the snowbird or retiree factor. After all, this isn't Yuma, Quartzsite, or a Florida beach town.

As far as slow drivers, it's a combination of snowbirds, transplants, and natives who are the culprits. I've said many times before that people need to adapt to our environment of generally clear, dry weather conditions, wide streets/freeways, and roads that are mostly in tip top condition compared to other regions. With all that in mind, there is absolutely no reason to drive slow on freeways or major surface streets. Residential streets and narrower half thoroughfares are a different story.
People drive like saints on the road and roads are as open and free as a gift wrapped box. I mean the 27 car pile up in downtown is a good example of good driving. This is what all cities want retirees and snowbirds. Someone needs to make them food or serve them. That is what this city was made for.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
This is what all cities want retirees and snowbirds. Someone needs to make them food or serve them. That is what this city was made for.
See, that's the issue. I don't want Phoenix to be a city/metro area comprised of mostly service level jobs that pay slightly above minimum wage. It's true that these types of jobs are needed, but our economy should be more diverse. Don't you think it's pathetic that only a small handful of Fortune 500 companies are based here? People should be wanting to move to a big city like this for career opportunities ... not just to retire or escape the cold climates.

People keep complaining about how there is a lack of high paying jobs in the Phoenix area, and this is why. Our reliance on snowbirds & retirees results in a greater demand for lower paying service type of jobs. Snowbirds are always welcome, but they shouldn't be something to rely on every year. Seriously, this place being a major city/metro area needs to grow up and advance into the 21st Century!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 AM

Here's a note from one of my snow bird clients:

Dear Bill,

Thank you so much for helping us find our beautiful winter home here in Val Vista Lakes. We really love it here.

We didn't realize how friendly the Phoenix people are, especially the drivers. When we go out for dinner at 5 pm everyone waves at us. Some even get up real close from behind so we can see their face, and they wave very excitedly.

We always drive courteously, so we never drive in the right lane because cars keep merging and we don't want to slow them down. So we drive in the middle lanes.

And when people pass us they always wave, and look right at us and are saying something. We can't hear them but I guess they're saying hello and welcome to Phoenix.

The only reason we can't hear them is that their music is on too loud. I guess they must have a hearing impairment but don't want to wear a hearing aid.

There is something we notice that's kind of strange. It seems that all the drivers have several fingers missing from their hand.

We're from Lodi California and have earthquakes there. We didn't know you had so many earth quakes here too. That's the only thing you forgot to tell us. We feel about one earth quake a day, usually when we're stopped at a red light.

One day, traffic stopped on the freeway and we were under an overpass. We felt this strong earthquake, and our car was shaking all over. We tried to warn the young man in the car next to us, but his music was playing so loud he couldn't hear us.

The traffic soon started to move and the earth quake stopped. Funny thing is, we never see the earth quakes reported on the news. We think Sheriff Joe should make the newscasters report the earth quakes.

But we do think the drivers in Phoenix like to drive too fast. That's unfortunate because when they drive so fast they don't get to do any sight seeing. They should slow down and enjoy all the beautiful scenery Phoenix has to offer.

On the freeway we like to drive about 45 mph so we can take in all the sights along the way, and read the signs so we keep track of where we are. We're afraid if we get lost we could end up stuck in Lodi again.

We just love it here in friendly Phoenix. Thank you again for all of your help.

Your Snowbird Friends Forever.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,626,835 times
Quote:
LOL! If you think AZ drivers are slow, try driving in Albuquerque on Sunday. You know that little old lady from Pasadena? Well, she moved here and brought all her friends. You guys drive OK down there.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
LOL! If you think AZ drivers are slow, try driving in Albuquerque on Sunday. You know that little old lady from Pasadena? Well, she moved here and brought all her friends. You guys drive OK down there.
Sundays are for sight seeing, so they have to drive slow

Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM

lmao @ the last 3 posts.

But... seriously... Valley, why would you want a diverse economy forged of large companies? The people that want to make good money, start their own business. People that don't, well mcdonnalds, walmart, and call centers are always there for those kind.

I don't really see any reason for Physicists, Chemist, Nanoscientists, and other physical scientists to stay in the valley. This isn't exactly the science hub of the United States.

I see lots of law firms moving here because of our awesome debt problem. I always see jobs for 5 yr experienced jobs available. I love those jobs. And due to that I don't see a point of UofA/ASU/or NAU graduates staying here either. Unless of course you are in accounting or a lawyer.

Just an observation.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,382,293 times
well its time to head north for summer and enjoy a not so humid season but I will be back as soon as the leaves are raked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area