Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,010,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Here's a note from one of my snow bird clients:

Dear Bill,

Thank you so much for helping us find our beautiful winter home here in Val Vista Lakes. We really love it here.

We didn't realize how friendly the Phoenix people are, especially the drivers. When we go out for dinner at 5 pm everyone waves at us. Some even get up real close from behind so we can see their face, and they wave very excitedly.

We always drive courteously, so we never drive in the right lane because cars keep merging and we don't want to slow them down. So we drive in the middle lanes.

And when people pass us they always wave, and look right at us and are saying something. We can't hear them but I guess they're saying hello and welcome to Phoenix.

The only reason we can't hear them is that their music is on too loud. I guess they must have a hearing impairment but don't want to wear a hearing aid.

There is something we notice that's kind of strange. It seems that all the drivers have several fingers missing from their hand.

We're from Lodi California and have earthquakes there. We didn't know you had so many earth quakes here too. That's the only thing you forgot to tell us. We feel about one earth quake a day, usually when we're stopped at a red light.

One day, traffic stopped on the freeway and we were under an overpass. We felt this strong earthquake, and our car was shaking all over. We tried to warn the young man in the car next to us, but his music was playing so loud he couldn't hear us.

The traffic soon started to move and the earth quake stopped. Funny thing is, we never see the earth quakes reported on the news. We think Sheriff Joe should make the newscasters report the earth quakes.

But we do think the drivers in Phoenix like to drive too fast. That's unfortunate because when they drive so fast they don't get to do any sight seeing. They should slow down and enjoy all the beautiful scenery Phoenix has to offer.

On the freeway we like to drive about 45 mph so we can take in all the sights along the way, and read the signs so we keep track of where we are. We're afraid if we get lost we could end up stuck in Lodi again.

We just love it here in friendly Phoenix. Thank you again for all of your help.

Your Snowbird Friends Forever.
Thanks, now this is both cute AND funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:30 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,499 times
With me traveling between Phoenix and Florida now, I at least can hope to get upgraded to first class on the flights both ways during the summer!

Never had a problem in Phoenix in the winters at restaurants, since when I am with others I make sure we have reservations - those are at our favorites, such as Ruth Chris on Camelback. When dining alone, I go to the bar at Donovan's and I can always find a place at the bar, and order good quality wine with the food.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 6,133 times
Coming from NW Ohio I am looking at snowbirding the Phoenix surrounding area and am totally surprised at how the homes do not have basements. Here the problems are dark/damp/cold. Seems like AZ would benefit from basements. Also, water seems to be in short supply < looking at satellite view on the map > I would be afraid to use antifreeze instead of plumbers putty for gaskets for fear of it finding its way into the water supply. Why are the manf houses so old and the HOA fees so high ? So different from where I live now !

Old 04-16-2015, 12:39 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7871093 View Post
Coming from NW Ohio I am looking at snowbirding the Phoenix surrounding area and am totally surprised at how the homes do not have basements. Here the problems are dark/damp/cold. Seems like AZ would benefit from basements. Also, water seems to be in short supply < looking at satellite view on the map > I would be afraid to use antifreeze instead of plumbers putty for gaskets for fear of it finding its way into the water supply. Why are the manf houses so old and the HOA fees so high ? So different from where I live now !

There are homes here with basements, it's just not a common thing like in other parts of the country. I think the expense keeps them from being built.

I miss having a basement; mostly because it is a great place to put the cat litter boxes

Old 04-16-2015, 02:25 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,977,341 times
Why homes here dont have basements is beyond me! Its a place to cool down, which in AZ is priority #1!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:01 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,163,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Why homes here dont have basements is beyond me! Its a place to cool down, which in AZ is priority #1!
There are numerous reasons for this...the biggest one is it is too expensive. Homes in colder climates have to have their foundations below the frost line. Normally that means the builder just has to dig a few more feet to make a basement. In Phoenix, the builder only has to go down 18"...which leaves a lot more to be dug out if they were to put in a basement. This also adds about a month to normal build times. For most builders, it is just more cost effective to put on a second story than dig basements.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:27 PM

498 posts, read 544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Because AZ builders do everything on the CHEAP. Building standards in the south are 30 years behind the north. Use some bloody 2x6s and insulate the joint too.

Saves money and makes it a lot more quiet.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Because AZ builders do everything on the CHEAP. Building standards in the south are 30 years behind the north. Use some bloody 2x6s and insulate the joint too.

Saves money and makes it a lot more quiet.
Builders build what the climate dictates. AZ doesn't have the horrible weather the North has, thus different building standards. Look through a construction cost handbook and you will see adjustments based on climate (extreme, mild, etc).

Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 PM

498 posts, read 544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Builders build what the climate dictates. AZ doesn't have the horrible weather the North has, thus different building standards. Look through a construction cost handbook and you will see adjustments based on climate (extreme, mild, etc).

Using 2X6s on the exterior walls add next to nothing to the long term cost of the house. The silence alone is worth the price never mind the energy savings. R45 in the attic will save a lot more due to radiant heat on the roof.

I have triple glazed windows, 2x6 stucco walls, and R45 in the attic up north. I can't even hear my neighbors dog bark.

BTW triple glazed vs double was only 20% more.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:00 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Using 2X6s on the exterior walls add next to nothing to the long term cost of the house. The silence alone is worth the price never mind the energy savings. R45 in the attic will save a lot more due to radiant heat on the roof.
You want 2 X 6 you can get it, most of the better builders do it and my house has 2 X 6. The budget builders don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area