Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,288,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When most of your city's population growth comes from annexation thats not really nothing to brag about. Unlike Phoenix, Philadelphia actually has to work hard to increase its population size. We can't just aggressively annexed neighboring suburbs almost at will like your city can. And then Phoenix posters have the nerve to brag about it like they actually accomplished something. I also find it funny that so many people praise Pheonix's as a top 5 city but yet it doesn't even make the top 10 in any other population statistics other that city proper.
Are you really here arguing about which city has a higher population? Who cares? And you think all of the people come from land annexation, when stats have shown the county growing by 100,000+ people a year some years?

At least Phoenix is a fairly clean city, which is more than we can say about Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 AM

And FYI, no one here is "bragging" about how many people live here. If you bothered to follow the board a couple days, you would realize that there's a handful of posters here that cry doom and gloom about Phoenix, our economy, etc. and claim that we are actually losing population. You will note these are the posters that only start negative threads, and continually bump threads asking top reasons people leave Phoenix, and top reasons not to move to Phoenix, etc. (you will notice these threads near the top every day, with the same people bumping it). This thread was meant as a way to counteract those wackos with facts. Don't worry, nobody is trying to make Phoenix another Philly, believe me.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Growing larger was once something I used to brag about as well. Having lived here all my life, I watched the Phoenix area mushroom from a small/medium sized place to one of the largest metro areas in the nation. It was always nice to see the substantial population increases every ten years, and the progress that eventually followed.

However, we have to ask: what TYPE of people are moving here? Is it still a large share of retirees, those who seek cheap real estate, or a warm, sunny climate as predominant reasons ... or is it entrepreneurs, business people, and those who are looking for competitive job opportunities??? Being the nation's fifth largest city & 11th largest metro area, I would hope we are attracting the latter ... but don't count on it. For as large as it is, Phoenix is still lacking in high paying jobs and reputable firms which base their HQs here.

The metro area can continue to grow, and we can be happy about it ... but it's about time we grow SMARTER. Having an influx of mostly retirees, lower skilled folks, and those who would rather worship the sun & gawk at the mountains isn't anything to gloat about ... nor is it going to improve the job market or the overall economy. A competitive job market (mostly in the PRIVATE sector) is what is needed if Phoenix is going to be a player in the national/global market among other cities our size.

Kudos to you - well said. Phoenix is home for me and I have no desire to live anywhere else but the quality of life in 2010 is not as good as what we had back in the 80s. The mindless growth needs to stop.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,018,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
And FYI, no one here is "bragging" about how many people live here. If you bothered to follow the board a couple days, you would realize that there's a handful of posters here that cry doom and gloom about Phoenix, our economy, etc. and claim that we are actually losing population. You will note these are the posters that only start negative threads, and continually bump threads asking top reasons people leave Phoenix, and top reasons not to move to Phoenix, etc. (you will notice these threads near the top every day, with the same people bumping it). This thread was meant as a way to counteract those wackos with facts. Don't worry, nobody is trying to make Phoenix another Philly, believe me.
I think posters like you need to get off your high horse and get a reality slap in the face. A lot of you seem to have a Superiority complex when it comes to Phoenix. If seems like some of you posters have to paint Phoenix as this perfect utopian paradise that is oblivious to having any flaws(like population loss or a slum economy for example) and anyone who thinks differently you jump on them like a pack of dogs!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I think posters like you need to get off your high horse and get a reality slap in the face. A lot of you seem to have a Superiority complex when it comes to Phoenix. If seems like some of you posters have to paint Phoenix as this perfect utopian paradise that is oblivious to having any flaws(like population loss or a slum economy for example) and anyone who thinks differently you jump on them like a pack of dogs!
No, Phoenix is not a "Utopian Paradise", my In-Laws house by the ocean in So Cal is. But it is light years nicer than dirty, grimey Philadelphia, and yeah, I've been there many times.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
However, we have to ask: what TYPE of people are moving here? Is it still a large share of retirees, those who seek cheap real estate, or a warm, sunny climate as predominant reasons ... or is it entrepreneurs, business people, and those who are looking for competitive job opportunities??? Being the nation's fifth largest city & 11th largest metro area, I would hope we are attracting the latter ... but don't count on it. For as large as it is, Phoenix is still lacking in high paying jobs and reputable firms which base their HQs here.

The metro area can continue to grow, and we can be happy about it ... but it's about time we grow SMARTER. Having an influx of mostly retirees, lower skilled folks, and those who would rather worship the sun & gawk at the mountains isn't anything to gloat about ... nor is it going to improve the job market or the overall economy. A competitive job market (mostly in the PRIVATE sector) is what is needed if Phoenix is going to be a player in the national/global market among other cities our size.
Thank you! The census figures aren't painting the whole picture either:
https://www.ukmediacentre.pwc.com/im...DetailsID=1562

Detroit actually has a higher GDP than Phoenix now and is expected to not only maintain, but widen that lead, and so many others around the world are projected to surpass it that Phoenix is expected to drop in economic power. If I were to stay in Phoenix and take a job doing what I want to do, I'd have to accept taking in significantly less money than I could make elsewhere. That does largely come from the lack of corporate HQs in the Valley. Unfortunately for Phoenix, I don't see much proactive leadership or cooperation in doing what it takes to attract the kind of people it needs or developing a diverse economy.

Quote:
When most of your city's population growth comes from annexation thats not really nothing to brag about. Unlike Phoenix, Philadelphia actually has to work hard to increase its population size. We can't just aggressively annexed neighboring suburbs almost at will like your city can. And then Phoenix posters have the nerve to brag about it like they actually accomplished something. I also find it funny that so many people praise Pheonix's as a top 5 city but yet it doesn't even make the top 10 in any other population statistics other that city proper.
Sadly, that's very true.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about. Phoenix did not annex any suburbs. It incorporated/annexed vacant desert and farm fields and those farm fields grew houses. Anyone who doesn't think PHX has grown much, much, much, much faster than Philly is nuts. Ours is bigger than yours - get used to it!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,018,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. Phoenix did not annex any suburbs. It incorporated/annexed vacant desert and farm fields and those farm fields grew houses. Anyone who doesn't think PHX has grown much, much, much, much faster than Philly is nuts. Ours is bigger than yours - get used to it!
To say that Phoenix never annexed suburbs is a joke in itself. Your city limits are over 500 sq. miles compared to Philly's 135 sq. miles. Philadelphia's population would be over 3 million with city limits over 500 sq. miles. So in reality Philadlephia is much bigger. Maybe thats something you should get use to!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
To say that Phoenix never annexed suburbs is a joke in itself. Your city limits are over 500 sq. miles compared to Philly's 135 sq. miles. Philadelphia's population would be over 3 million with city limits over 500 sq. miles. So in reality Philadlephia is much bigger. Maybe thats something you should get use to!
Again, Phoenix annexed no populated suburbs. The land area was vacant land that filled (and is still filling) in. That is the pattern here. Cities annex farmland adjacent to the built up area and then extend services resulting in a development boom. The suburbs are all growing like crazy too and some of them will probably (Buckeye, for example) have more people than Philly one day. I will repeat though it is obvious, you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Again, Phoenix annexed no populated suburbs. The land area was vacant land that filled (and is still filling) in. That is the pattern here. Cities annex farmland adjacent to the built up area and then extend services resulting in a development boom. The suburbs are all growing like crazy too and some of them will probably (Buckeye, for example) have more people than Philly one day. I will repeat though it is obvious, you don't know what you are talking about.
Actually... Ahwatukee and Laveen were both independent (and thus, populated) towns Phoenix annexed. I believe it's trying to annex Anthem as well. Also, the quasi autobiography La Maravilla by Alfredo Véa, Jr. talks about life in unincorporated communities Phoenix later annexed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area