Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Yep, the most blue-state cities seem to spend the most time trying to control your nutritional choices. Witness the First Lady's campaign against overweight people, and the many snarky comments made from those on the left about Chris Christie's weight.
Well, I don't know who Chris C is and I think Michelle Obama is just trying to promote healthier living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,789,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Captain Bill,.

...Happy Thanksgiving and go for a walk after you stuff your face!
That's what my wife keeps telling me. I need to do it. I was never overweight until the last couple years when I stopped exercising.

So I need to listen to my wife and get off my duff and exercise.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,721,236 times
Quote:
After all, I think we can all concur we live in a Red state. Unfortunately, I came across such an outrageous post I just have to comment and the thread was closed.

It had to do with taxing obese people and some smart poster said, what's next? Ugly people?

Wow, as a person who has gone from a size six to a bigger size (due to menopause, medications and other stuff), I found that comment to be reprehensible.

Now, maybe this doesn't belong in the AZ forum (or Phoenix forum, but let's face it - Phoenix IS the red part of the state for the most part), but maybe it does. Please feel free to move if appropriate. Personally, I have no kids and am sick to death of my taxes going to pay for them, but would I never have the huevos to comment on it like "someone did who is over-preoccupied with air quality in this town." Please move! And please take your ultra pickiness with you.

At any rate, I just had to say this. I imagine most people will be stuffing themselves today and maybe we should have the Nazi folks to go around making sure no one (and God forbid - not the obese people) overeats.

I myself, will not be doing so, but I imagine I won't be my size 6 self today either!
Arayanzona at its finest, which is worse imprisoning women and children for profit or taxing obesity? No need to make a choice we have it all. We could make up our deficit taxing stupidity

Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Thank you! Whatever your appearance or your lifestyle, you are unique. Most social conservative people cannot stand uniqueness. It's a hypocritical thing snice "conservatism" at least used to be about individualism. My lifestyle is extremely liberal to most social conservatives although I'm an avid gun owner and RKBA proponent, as well as a radical capitalist (Austrian economics, David Friedman, etc). I have some friends who also have such a lifestyle, yet they call themselves God-fearing conservatives even though they know they would be "excommunicated" and they too are Arizonans. The attack on people for being unique is like being in your teens once again when you are pressured to conform to what you may not want to conform. I work with gays and lesbians, people of different skin colors and I respect their individuality and get along professionally with all, although the characteristics of their cultures do not intersect with mine.

It's a matter of being an adult. I conclude all social conservatives are not being adults. They are being teenagers.
You're ok Howard Roark! I like social liberals and I like the 2nd amendment too. In fact, I plan to attend Ladies Night at the gun club next week. I figure it'll be interesting.

And so true about conforming. I used to belong to a group where if you did not conform you were ostracized. One was never free to really speak one's mind and all had to follow a certain way of even announcing who you were. No deviations permitted. I'm an individual and that's probably why I've had a tough time living in a place where most people expect or want to conserve the status quo.

I talked to a liberal from San Fran a couple of days ago and nearly cried! It was so refreshing! Of course, pretty much anything goes in that town (except unhealthy happy meals and I am ok with that).

Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Actually the nutritional Nazism is on the left...look no further than San Francisco's ban on kid's meal toys, the proposed New York salt ban, etc. Pot, kettle, black.
Well, I do support the inclusion of fruit in kid's happy meals. In fact, I'd support it in my own happy meal too. And salt can lead to high blood pressure too, so I understand that as well. One thing to note - these measures are designed to PROMOTE HEALTH and INCREASE LIFE SPAN.

Now, the Nazism on the other side not so much. I can't think of one thing that has been done in favor of the people of AZ since I've lived here - not one. Ok, so the property taxes are lower which is good, but it's always been that way. I'm really trying hard to think here, but not one. Wait - I take that back. They now sell wine, etc at 6 a.m. on Sundays.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,240,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Arayanzona at its finest, which is worse imprisoning women and children for profit or taxing obesity? No need to make a choice we have it all. We could make up our deficit taxing stupidity
But could you afford it with a post like that?

Everyone on every side of the aisle has their hot button topics that are meant to do nothing more than cause divisiveness and angst while real issues go completely under the radar.

In AZ there have been no talks of taxing obesity .... however, we did add additional cigarette taxes with earmarks to social programs.

We also have specific gas taxes that can keep the cost of fuel high.

Also some special taxes on alcohol.

Not unique to AZ.

However, it does go to show that the thought about legislating behavior through taxation is nothing new.

Now on the radar are soda taxes, fast food taxes, salt/sodium restrictions, etc.

May be well intentioned, but for those who are up in arms about it did you scream this loudly when a carton of cigarettes approached $100?

That is another reality though .... people tend not to get up in arms until it gets personal to them.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,240,657 times
Quote:
Well, I do support the inclusion of fruit in kid's happy meals. In fact, I'd support it in my own happy meal too. And salt can lead to high blood pressure too, so I understand that as well. One thing to note - these measures are designed to PROMOTE HEALTH and INCREASE LIFE SPAN.

Now, the Nazism on the other side not so much. I can't think of one thing that has been done in favor of the people of AZ since I've lived here - not one. Ok, so the property taxes are lower which is good, but it's always been that way. I really trying hard to think here, but not one. Wait - I take that back. They now sell wine at 6 a.m. on Sundays.
Seems like you would be fond of the ban on smoking in bars & public places.

What are you looking for the gov't to provide for you?

Also, a reduction in obesity is a promotion of health ..... all health risk factors go up with increased fat

Old 11-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
But could you afford it with a post like that?

Everyone on every side of the aisle has their hot button topics that are meant to do nothing more than cause divisiveness and angst while real issues go completely under the radar.

In AZ there have been no talks of taxing obesity .... however, we did add additional cigarette taxes with earmarks to social programs.

We also have specific gas taxes that can keep the cost of fuel high.

Also some special taxes on alcohol.

Not unique to AZ.

However, it does go to show that the thought about legislating behavior through taxation is nothing new.

Now on the radar are soda taxes, fast food taxes, salt/sodium restrictions, etc.

May be well intentioned, but for those who are up in arms about it did you scream this loudly when a carton of cigarettes approached $100?

That is another reality though .... people tend not to get up in arms until it gets personal to them.
And to this I say - On Auk Mor - McDowell and Longmore, I think.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Seems like you would be fond of the ban on smoking in bars & public places.
Considering I enjoy red wine and cigarettes TOGETHER, no.

Quote:
What are you looking for the gov't to provide for you?
Our OUTSOURCED jobs back so we can all go shopping and pay our taxes and save our economy.

Quote:
Also, a reduction in obesity is a promotion of health ..... all health risk factors go up with increased fat
Like I said, I am not getting rid of those size sixes anytime soon. However, I have found that menopause (just think of the bloating of PMS that never goes away and adds up month after month and you'll understand), certain medications, and not being able to walk outside for most of the year is not conducive to weight loss.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 11-25-2010 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: add thought

Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM

977 posts, read 1,958,379 times
Quote:
...pretty much anything goes in that town (except unhealthy happy meals and I am ok with that).
Wait, wasn't the title of your post "People who want to tell other people how to live - is this a red state thing?" But you are OK with government controlling what a restaurant can or cannot serve? Which one is it? Do you want to choose how to live your own life or have the government do it for you? You are contradicting yourself, which seems to be par for just about any liberal argument. People buying the meals should be the ones to choose what they want. If they want fruit, then they can get fruit. If I want a greasy triple cheeseburger with some extra salty artery-clogging fries, then I should be able to buy that, and the restaurant should be able to sell it. And I can deal with the effects of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area