Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Wait, wasn't the title of your post "People who want to tell other people how to live - is this a red state thing?" But you are OK with government controlling what a restaurant can or cannot serve? Which one is it? Do you want to choose how to live your own life or have the government do it for you? You are contradicting yourself, which seems to be par for just about any liberal argument. People buying the meals should be the ones to choose what they want. If they want fruit, then they can get fruit. If I want a greasy triple cheeseburger with some extra salty artery-clogging fries, then I should be able to buy that, and the restaurant should be able to sell it. And I can deal with the effects of it.
I was speaking from MY perspective, as in I rarely eat fruit and know I should, so I DO support the inclusion of fruit in a happy meal - along with your super greasy super sized cheeseburger AND large order of fries AND your chocolate shake. Knock yourself out. I go to McDonald's myself (however I do try to order no more than 500 calories). I also wish my parents would have indoctrinated the whole practice of fruit eating into my eating habits. Hey, if McDonald's can do it better, let them.

I am not contradicting myself. The kids will still have their cheeseburger plus the fruit. Oh, and in Madrid, Spain they serve beer at McDonald's. I am not a beer drinker, but I did order one once just for kicks at the McDonald's there.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 11-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: add thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,080 times
How are you not contradicting yourself when you said you were OK with San Francisco banning unhealthy happy meals? Banning anything is telling people how to live their lives. I cannot go out to McDonalds in San Francisco and get a Happy Meal with a burger and fries and a toy for my son. I have to get him fruit.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I think everyone tells others how to live to one degree or another. Red, blue, green, left, right, religious or atheist. Yes, even the Libertarians, who love to tell us the right way to live is to not tell others how to live, do it. It seems to be our nature to think our choices are superior to those of the next guy.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
That's what my wife keeps telling me. I need to do it. I was never overweight until the last couple years when I stopped exercising.

So I need to listen to my wife and get off my duff and exercise.

Happy Thanksgiving to all
She will be happy to know, you should be listening too her!! She's been telling you that all along!!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
How are you not contradicting yourself when you said you were OK with San Francisco banning unhealthy happy meals? Banning anything is telling people how to live their lives. I cannot go out to McDonalds in San Francisco and get a Happy Meal with a burger and fries and a toy for my son. I have to get him fruit.
Does your kid HAVE to eat the fruit? I haven't followed the whole happy meal thing in SF. Exactly what would your child be denied?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think everyone tells others how to live to one degree or another. Red, blue, green, left, right, religious or atheist. Yes, even the Libertarians, who love to tell us the right way to live is to not tell others how to live, do it. It seems to be our nature to think our choices are superior to those of the next guy.
Well, this is done to reduce our OWN cognitive dissonance, which is psych 101. We all want to believe we made the best choice where to live, where to buy, the kind of car to drive, our mates, etc.

I don't know that it's so much about wanting to tell others how to live, rather feeling good or ok about the choices WE have made. Ok, maybe I just explained the liberal perspective.

The other guys, OTOH, want to legislate who and who cannot marry, etc, etc.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
I think if we all pitched in with our taxes, we would be able to cover everything without worrying about who is doing what, or who has kids and who doesn't, who's fat, who smokes, does other naughty things, or even those who want more education, it would all even out. Yes, our taxes might be higher but our expenses would not, so it would even out as well. The paper work would cut out a lot of unnecessary expense and hassle. These arguments happen because all of our hands are not in the pot, if you know what I mean.
This is the lesson I've learned on my personal investigations of other countries socially fed taxes, it seems to eliminate these kinds of discrepancies. Of course, there are new ones to face, but these go out the window when we all have our debts to society in one pot.
Just adding in a not from the independent social view. I realize most don't agree but you might see my point on these kinds of issues.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I think if we all pitched in with our taxes, we would be able to cover everything without worrying about who is doing what, or who has kids and who doesn't, who's fat, who smokes, does other naughty things, or even those who want more education, it would all even out. Yes, our taxes might be higher but our expenses would not, so it would even out as well. The paper work would cut out a lot of unnecessary expense and hassle. These arguments happen because all of our hands are not in the pot, if you know what I mean.
This is the lesson I've learned on my personal investigations of other countries socially fed taxes, it seems to eliminate these kinds of discrepancies. Of course, there are new ones to face, but these go out the window when we all have our debts to society in one pot.
Just adding in a not from the independent social view. I realize most don't agree but you might see my point on these kinds of issues.
Twiggy,

I could not agree more. You make so much sense it's scary (in a good way) and I do hope you get to where you want to be - and soon!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
After all, I think we can all concur we live in a Red state. Unfortunately, I came across such an outrageous post I just have to comment and the thread was closed.

It had to do with taxing obese people and some smart poster said, what's next? Ugly people?

Wow, as a person who has gone from a size six to a bigger size (due to menopause, medications and other stuff), I found that comment to be reprehensible.

Now, maybe this doesn't belong in the AZ forum (or Phoenix forum, but let's face it - Phoenix IS the red part of the state for the most part), but maybe it does. Please feel free to move if appropriate. Personally, I have no kids and am sick to death of my taxes going to pay for them, but would I never have the huevos to comment on it like "someone did who is over-preoccupied with air quality in this town." Please move! And please take your ultra pickiness with you.

At any rate, I just had to say this. I imagine most people will be stuffing themselves today and maybe we should have the Nazi folks to go around making sure no one (and God forbid - not the obese people) overeats.

I myself, will not be doing so, but I imagine I won't be my size 6 self today either!
I read through this thread with some amusement. I thought you were stating that you were overweight and you felt like the right was telling you that you should be taxed more because of that. Then you say that the Nazis may want to check to be sure no one over eats. You move on to say you have no children and resent being taxed for education. You throw in that your parents should have taught you to eat more fruit. And the right doesn't want you to be lesbian. And I'm not sure what the air quality comment means or who said what.

The confusing thing is that the right or Nazis aren't the ones legislating what we can eat. It is the blue states pushing laws on everyone and taking our choices away. California and New York are blue states...legislating choices...liberal. The red...right...nazis are for less government control and less taxation. But they also believe that as adults we need to make responsible choices for ourselves whether our parents taught us the right way to eat or save or behave. We are adults and take responsibility for our actions. I also don't think that too many on the right care much if you are a lesbian or not. Most don't care if you have ceremonies and live together as a family. But marriage is between a man and a woman. Create the scenario you want for your union and name it what you want. It just isn't marriage.

I agree that we should all be able to live our lives without having laws to tell us how to live our everyday lives. I'm just not sure if you understand which side of the fence is forcing their choices on you. It's one thing to push your opinion and quite another to make laws that everyone has to live according to your opinion.

Relax and enjoy your Thanksgiving. Eat as much as you want, have a glass of wine or two and smoke 'em if ya got 'em. For the time being, there are no laws against that if you are outside.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Well hey, on the bright side of things this red state just cleared the maryjowanna roadway! We can now all relax with a prescription for something much more enjoyable than a antidepressant! ha ha The only downside is weight gain. Booooo I believe I understand what you are talking about, you can't really be perfect, all things at one time, especially when they contradict themselves.
Thanks for the compliment by the way, that was nice to hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area