Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
I would definetely recommend staying away from the Southwest side of the city. It is what most people consider the "dumpy" part of the Phoenix area. It is where the highest concentration of poverty and crime is.
A way over-generalized post... but I would stay away from 65th Ave and Camelback, too.

http://www.azcentral.com/CrimeMaps/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,091 times
imho, no.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM

125 posts, read 170,266 times
Abby565 this has got to be one of the WORST areas in all of Phoenix. The furthest west I would live is 3rd Ave. Maryvale is constantly on the news with murders/robberies etc. It also is aesthetically unpleasant to live in: no lovely sights, a grubby dusty area. Lots of crime, drugs, etc. Stay away! Even short term is not do-able for that area.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
Abby565 this has got to be one of the WORST areas in all of Phoenix. The furthest west I would live is 3rd Ave. Maryvale is constantly on the news with murders/robberies etc. It also is aesthetically unpleasant to live in: no lovely sights, a grubby dusty area. Lots of crime, drugs, etc. Stay away! Even short term is not do-able for that area.
Your post reads like you're slamming the entire westside, it's only a few areas that are bad.

I can name a few parts in the east valley that aren't so nice too but I'm not going to stereotype an entire section of the metropolitan area.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,002,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Your post reads like you're slamming the entire westside, it's only a few areas that are bad.

I can name a few parts in the east valley that aren't so nice too but I'm not going to stereotype an entire section of the metropolitan area.
A lot of people do that out here. When I first moved out here I met a guy that told me to avoid "everything south of Cactus and west of 17". I thanked him for the tip. When I got home and looked at a map of the city I saw that was nearly half the city. There's no way in hell that much of Phoenix is that bad.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,533 times
I have a 700 sf, two level townhouse in North Central available for rent. PM me, if interested.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 PM

915 posts, read 1,192,440 times
I went on a police ride-along in that area a few years ago just for fun. It's kind of like watching an episode of COPS for an entire shift, except you're sitting in the passenger seat and go on all the calls with the squad.
This was Precinct 800. They said it was the precinct with the most crime. I don't know if thats true or if it just seemed that way to them.
Let's just say it was a busy shift, and I saw things that day I had never seen. The best was when we were called to an apartment complex at 11 pm (maybe the same one you're looking into OP) to answer a 911 call regarding assault with a knife. We all went through the grounds "clearing" areas like you see in movies. Of course I was in the back with a flashlight and a WTF look on my face. But it was fun.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM

523 posts, read 938,411 times
As a general rule of thumb, stay away from the avenues. I made this mistake early, and I have been paying for it every since. Don't make the same mistake that I made. I have always felt really isolated here, but I am underwater and without any real stead income, so I am stuck.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Stay away from the avenues? Please. The "everything west of Central (regardless of north, south, or central) is bad" comes up here repeatedly. That is simply not true, and gives a really inaccurate impression to people looking for information. You may feel "isolated" (not alone there) be in a bad income situation (not alone there either) and underwater (not alone there either, all over the Valley), but your "avenues" address is not responsible for any of that.

65th Ave and Camelback, as others have said, is not a great area.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,927 times
Quote:
As a general rule of thumb, stay away from the avenues.

Pulease...That may be a good rule of thumb for a portion of the Valley down by the I-10. There are many multi-million dollar houses and good schools along the "Avenues".

Quote:
I have always felt really isolated here.
I'll give you that one point. The West Valley is out in the boonies(to me). To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area