Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 AM

101 posts, read 314,603 times

Advertisements

I live basically a block southwest of that area I have lived there for over 5 yrs never a home invasion never no problems I go out late at nite never had a problem .Drop houses and drug houses are all over phoenix The latest drop house I remember hearing about was 7th ave & southern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
Anecdotal evidence aside, the area of 65th Avenue and Camelback is in the Maryvale precinct. It has the highest violent crime rate, and second highest property crime rate in the city of Phoenix. These are indisputable facts. Statistics for Reported Crimes - Precinct

Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,151,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
It's an acceptable area. My sister has a house a few blocks away from there that she used to rent to my mom up until a month ago. I visited her there every weekend. Sure it's not the safest but I doubt you'll get murdered or assaulted while living there for only 6 months, we're not in we're not in Compton or Detroit.

Also, Maryvale neighborhood doesn't rank in the top 25 most dangerous in the country: 25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010
I guess there is some doubt in your mind that she will be safe if she is there longer than 6 months.

Why did you single out Compton and Detroit as if those are the worst but neither made your list of dangerous neighborhoods? Why didn't you say, at least you're not in Chicago or Cleveland?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM

674 posts, read 2,555,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I guess there is some doubt in your mind that she will be safe if she is there longer than 6 months.

Why did you single out Compton and Detroit as if those are the worst but neither made your list of dangerous neighborhoods? Why didn't you say, at least you're not in Chicago or Cleveland?
I believe she will most likely be safe there if she live there 6+ months.

And I singled out Compton and Detroit because they were the first two that came to mind, I believe I read an article mentioning those two cities as being among the most dangerous in the country. And just because a particular neighborhood didn't make the list of the most dangerous doesn't make the whole city safe. So it doesn't matter is no neighborhoods in Compton or Detroit made "my" list.

The point that I was trying to make is that the Maryvale neighborhood, although high in crime, is not nearly as bad as some people make it seem.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
The point that I was trying to make is that the Maryvale neighborhood, although high in crime, is not nearly as bad as some people make it seem.
People may exaggerate, but the crime stats reflect reality. And this area is the most crime-ridden in Phoenix. People are certainly free to live there, but they should understand the facts.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,927 times
A 7yr. old was found dead in a trash can a a 1/4mile from those cross streets this morning.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
A 7yr. old was found dead in a trash can a a 1/4mile from those cross streets this morning.
I saw that story, but didn't check the location. Just heartbreaking. <sigh> http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...dead-abrk.html

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: added link to news article

Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,770,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I saw this on the news and when they said the cross street this thread came to mind. Welcome to the ghetto

Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM

582 posts, read 1,483,758 times
I doubt you'll experience any violent crime personally, but it is an "iffy" area. I know a few people who have lived in Maryvale for years and who are ok with it, but there is more foot traffic and activity there. I am not afraid to go shopping there, but if I were to live in a home there under your circumstances, I probably would, BUT, would make sure I have an alarm, if it has a carport and not a garage, put a gate up, and put bars on the windows.

In other words burglar proof the property and you'll be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area