Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 PM

523 posts, read 938,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Section 8 was started in 1974.

My experience with section 8 was in California, not in Phoenix. But it really politicized me to be against any welfare at all back in 1978 - through the present. The type of people in my neighborhood when it became section 8 - well they were less civilzed than the organisms caged in at any metropolitan zoo.

I suspect section 8 has come to my apartment complex in Phoenix. My next door neighbor was a 20ish gal who was very sweet and removed posts from my door. She moved out about two months ago and I came home one evening to the mezmerizing melody of cRAP "music" vibrating through a common wall (this is in southeast Phoenix). I immediately sent a note to my apartment management and left a voicemail.

Well you know what? The management was great about it. They sent out flyers stating no tolerance for annoying noises that could disturb other neighbors. There was no time limitation. This means at any time of the day. Music, or what some garbage people call "music." I'd complain the same if it was one of those death-scream metalheads next door.

Well so far on my third visit back home from my work in another city, it's been peaceful.

So to the OP, be vigilant. The best thing to do is yes, pool together with your good neighbors, keep tabs on each other, good to have the 140 lb dog. Be an "In your face" guy to the gang bangers so that they get the message that they are not allowed to trash your neighborhood and turn it from civilization to savagery.
Good advice, Southwest Phoenix is seeing an especially high increase in these types of problems. Sometimes I wonder if just letting most of these vast number of homes sit empty is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I've read far too many stories on this board and elsewhere about local politicians trying to infiltrate upscale neighborhoods with section 8 housing, which is beyond asinine.
This is the entire reason for Section 8...

Section 8 came into being to move low income people away from the "Projects" and main stream those on assistance.

The program is very successful in implementing this policy...

There are absolutely no geographic limitations on a condition of receiving assistance as long as a county or city accepts HUD program funding.

Section 8 has been around for more than 30 years... it is not anything new.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-26-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 12:32 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,575,429 times
Thanks, well I wrote too soon. The ghetto blaster was back on next door for an hour. One of the residents came out and I confronted him. He was not happy when I requested him to stop that "thump thump thumping" from next door. But he now knows it's annoying. I told him I'm hardly ever home so he should notice that no one bugs him with noises. People like that think they are kings of the world and no one else matters - like the oafs at Starbucks who stand squarely in the middle of the sugar/cream table and a line forms behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Good advice, Southwest Phoenix is seeing an especially high increase in these types of problems. Sometimes I wonder if just letting most of these vast number of homes sit empty is better.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:33 PM

295 posts, read 553,366 times
On the walking away part, I can't blame others. Prices are slated to drop more than 12% in the next 3 months alone and the future is looking worse:

http://www.armls.com/Libraries/STAT/...2010.sflb.ashx

Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We are seeing a quick rise in rentals in our area as well. In fact, so fast that I just commented to someone that I feel like I moved into the nations largest apartment complex! One thing that can be done to counter the troublesome renters is holding the landlord responsible. An approach that is/was very effective in CA was using small claims court. Let's say a homeowner has a neighbor (renter) that is constantly causing problems like loud parties etc. Notify the landlord in writing about the nuisance asking that it be stopped. I'd notify him/her at least 3 times and document everything, pictures and video tells a great story.
On the last notification inform them that you'll be forced to take them to court for allowing this behavior in THEIR house and file a small claims action for the max. It works even better if all the "normal" neighbors do the same btw.
Not many landlords can withstand multiple $5-10k judgements against them. Remember, you have the RIGHT to enjoy your property without nuisance just as they have the right to rent to whomever they please.
Notifying the property owner in writing is key and unfortunately, many will not step-up and do this simple first step...

Neighbors willing to be counted get action. I still don't understand why so many look the other way and refuse to get involved.

I know an elderly lady that owns and lives in one side of a duplex... and rents the other.

Her problems started when her tenant's son started hanging out with the wrong crowd... many of the neighbors said things to her and she tried twice to get the family to move.

Last time, the tenant arrived in Court and said the old lady was harassing her and her family and if things were bad... where are her witnesses or police reports... the Judge agreed and dismissed the case...

Each year the laws protecting tenants increase... in the old days... it was simply a matter of serving property notice and then following-up with eviction if the family failed to move.

Now, more and more jurisdictions require Landlords to show cause and be able to prove it...

Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Thanks, well I wrote too soon. The ghetto blaster was back on next door for an hour. One of the residents came out and I confronted him. He was not happy when I requested him to stop that "thump thump thumping" from next door. But he now knows it's annoying. I told him I'm hardly ever home so he should notice that no one bugs him with noises. People like that think they are kings of the world and no one else matters - like the oafs at Starbucks who stand squarely in the middle of the sugar/cream table and a line forms behind them.
Wow I really know what you mean. I almost everywhere I go in the southwest Valley this type of event is commonplace. I have decided to install bars to cover all of my windows, because it's only a matter of time before it's my turn.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Wow I really know what you mean. I almost everywhere I go in the southwest Valley this type of event is commonplace. I have decided to install bars to cover all of my windows, because it's only a matter of time before it's my turn.
Make sure they have fire releases... too many tragic incidences of people trapped.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Make sure they have fire releases... too many tragic incidences of people trapped.
Really good point Ultrarunner.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
If you've got to install burglar bars on your house then my question is who's in jail now, you or the crooks?
Think about it, looking through bars all the time just to see outside?

The minute I feel that I've got to install bars on my windows then it's time to leave, lose money or not! Nope, not me EVER!

Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you've got to install burglar bars on your house then my question is who's in jail now, you or the crooks?
Think about it, looking through bars all the time just to see outside?

The minute I feel that I've got to install bars on my windows then it's time to leave, lose money or not! Nope, not me EVER!
Not everyone has that option...

Others spend thousands on security systems, armed patrols or live in gated communities.

I visited Italy and all the grand old homes in the villages had elaborate wrought iron work on ground floor windows... same with the old town section of Salzburg when I lived there... never felt like a prison... maybe it was because of the beautiful overflowing floral displays amongst the bars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area