Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 32,358 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a section 8 tenant in phoenix. I recently had to go through the yearly re-eval, no biggie. I received a paper back from housing stating what the total rent of the apartment was, the share that housing is going to pay, and the share of the rent I'm to pay. The paper says this contract is valid starting 11/07. It all looked good and I filed the paper away. On Fri. I got the new lease agreement from my apartment complex filled it out and signed it. All the numbers looked good on it. Then I came across the housing paper again and realized that my apartment complex is trying to raise my rent $45 over what the housing contract says. I asked the apartment manager if housing had approved the rent increase and he says it doesn't matter what housing says, they're raising my rent and I'll have to pay the additional $45 out of pocket. I put a call in to my rep at section 8 but haven't heard back yet.
My question is, can my complex do this? Aren't they bound by the contract they have with the section 8 program? Do I have any rights here?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,734 times
Default I am not sure but sounds wrong to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathema415 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a section 8 tenant in phoenix. I recently had to go through the yearly re-eval, no biggie. I received a paper back from housing stating what the total rent of the apartment was, the share that housing is going to pay, and the share of the rent I'm to pay. The paper says this contract is valid starting 11/07. It all looked good and I filed the paper away. On Fri. I got the new lease agreement from my apartment complex filled it out and signed it. All the numbers looked good on it. Then I came across the housing paper again and realized that my apartment complex is trying to raise my rent $45 over what the housing contract says. I asked the apartment manager if housing had approved the rent increase and he says it doesn't matter what housing says, they're raising my rent and I'll have to pay the additional $45 out of pocket. I put a call in to my rep at section 8 but haven't heard back yet.
My question is, can my complex do this? Aren't they bound by the contract they have with the section 8 program? Do I have any rights here?

Thanks.
I would think section 8 would have contract what the rent is to be because they pay a portion and you pay the rest, if landlords could do that, what would the point of section 8 be? Keep trying to reach thre section 8 office, something dosen't sound right to me.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM

All the reading I've done today indicates that the landlord must give 60 days notice to both me and the local housing authority. The housing authority then approves or denies the increase. If it's denied then I may be responsible for the increase, or the landlord can choose not to renew my lease.
The first I've heard about the increase was on Fri. Oct. 5th.
The lease amendment I received from housing does not indicate a rental increase and shows the portion I pay staying put. I'm assuming that's the amount I pay, not what the landlord decided on without going through the proper channels.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,734 times
Default sounds like the landlord is not timely with his notice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathema415 View Post
All the reading I've done today indicates that the landlord must give 60 days notice to both me and the local housing authority. The housing authority then approves or denies the increase. If it's denied then I may be responsible for the increase, or the landlord can choose not to renew my lease.
The first I've heard about the increase was on Fri. Oct. 5th.
The lease amendment I received from housing does not indicate a rental increase and shows the portion I pay staying put. I'm assuming that's the amount I pay, not what the landlord decided on without going through the proper channels.
well sounds like you might have 60 days at least before you have to pay the higher rent. hopefullly the section 8 office will be helpful. good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 21,598 times
I'm a section 8 landlord. Your landlord has notified you and the city (if he/she did it properly) of the rent increase. The city will either comply, deny the increase or enter into negotiations. If your landlord and city do not come to an agreement the landlord may no longer particiapte in the section 8 program and you will likely have to move. Before you hit the panic button and start packing, get a hold of your rep and keep trying. Chances are good the city and your landlord are negotiating a new contract. I don't know the correct answer about the increase in your portion. One of my tennants recently had her portion boosted 100 per month by the city, not by me but the city based on increased income. Sometimes but rarely it goes the other direction and city increases the amount paid to me and tennant portion decreases. Let me emphasize the need to contact your rep, don't rely on internet lawyers. Possibly the city has increased your portion because of increased income, change in family/marital status or numerous other reasons. Read all the rules and regs here http://phoenix.gov/ftpalias/HOUSING/s8ap.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 21,598 times
I failed to mention this in the prior post. Sounds to me like your landlord was rude in his answer. Make certain the city rep hears about it. Even if by some chance the landlord is correct, you have to pay it and the city failed to notify you, You deserve a more dignified and respectfull answer to your question.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks AZredneck for your answers.

The manager of the complex is at it again. I don't think he understands how this all works. In Nov. I was in the office paying the rent and he told me he sent notice to housing that he would increase my rent effective Dec. 1st. He didn't request, he just told them. I received no notice of this in writing from him. I check the mail every day and received nothing from housing, specifically a new tenancy addendum. Without a new addendum I can't pay more than what the old addendum states. According to the section 8 program which is administered by federal and state agencies the tenancy addendum is enforceable over anything in the lease.

So I go to pay my rent today and he informs me that I owe him $90 in late fees for Nov. and Dec. (the $45 increase in rent each month) and that he would be "serving me notice" of the fees soon.

I again tried to explain to him that the tenancy addendum states the contract rent on the HAP contract between the owner and the Public Housing Authority, my share and housings share.

He said that he knows I'm waiting for housing to increase their share but until that happens I have to pay the additional rent. He says there is no HAP contract (There has to be in order for my Section 8 voucher to be good in this or any complex) and that this issue has nothing to do between the owner and housing.

It's like he doesn't understand that they are under contract with housing as well. So I'll call my rep at housing yet again and get this taken care of.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 8,960 times
Default need advice about Section 8

We have a family member who is a senior citizen on Section 8 living in VA and her son just passed away after a long illness. We really need to relocate her to AZ to be with family that can look in on her. Can she take her section 8 voucher with her when she moves? Are there programs out there that will help defray the cost of her move?

Really would appreciate any advice you may have as she really needs to get out here now that she is completely alone.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,329 times
I am a landlord that has Section 8 rentals, I think the board will raise it every year but I dont think your landlord can do it without their approval. I will double check on this

Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM

101 posts, read 297,786 times
I manage aprtments and we have several section 8 residents. When we want to raise the rent or renew a lease, we must give Sect 8 at least 60 days notice. Then, they must approve any rent increase we request. It always takes them the full sixty days to respond. And, if the rent increase goes into effect before the tenant has been given at least thirty days notice from the Sect 8 office of the increase, Sect 8 will pay it to us and the tenant then pays the increase for the following months(the tenants portion). Your landlord needs to call the Sect 8 office and talk to a rep there to get the correct information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area