Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:49 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilia View Post
We have a family member who is a senior citizen on Section 8 living in VA and her son just passed away after a long illness. We really need to relocate her to AZ to be with family that can look in on her. Can she take her section 8 voucher with her when she moves? Are there programs out there that will help defray the cost of her move?

Really would appreciate any advice you may have as she really needs to get out here now that she is completely alone.
Not sure about any help with moving costs...my guess is no. She will need to contact the person in her home state that is working with her( she most likely has a case worker). She can get a transfer but it should be done there first before she moves. But, to answer your question, yes it can be transfered. Of course there may be some specific variables, depending on her specific situation. Call her local office right away to get the process going! Good Luck, and Im sorry for your loss.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 10,579 times
Wink rights as a section 8 voucher holder

The apartment complex doesn't have a right to up your rent. In the publications and rules this considered as side money. The contract that the apartment compex has is with section 8. This will get them thrown out of the program. They are suppose to go through the request for an increase in rent. It has to get approved. As well as the law of the state. If you don't agree with the increase in rent the apartment complex has broken there contract/lease. Therefore you do not have to proceed on the lease. Let section 8 know about the situation. Write a letter instead of calling. physically go up to the office. I recommend you to go to legal aid to assit with the any futher action the complex will try to pursue. Trust me, this will not hold up in court. They have to give a tenant the option, if they do not agree with the increase that they can move out within thirty days of the notice of increase. what you might want to do is send the apartment complex a copy of the publication rules and regulations and circle the section were it states they can not do that. Also will explain what could happen. Trust me they don't want to lose this revenue right now. We as section 8 voucher holders have rights as anybody else. I hope you follow through on this, because you could be helping others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathema415 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a section 8 tenant in phoenix. I recently had to go through the yearly re-eval, no biggie. I received a paper back from housing stating what the total rent of the apartment was, the share that housing is going to pay, and the share of the rent I'm to pay. The paper says this contract is valid starting 11/07. It all looked good and I filed the paper away. On Fri. I got the new lease agreement from my apartment complex filled it out and signed it. All the numbers looked good on it. Then I came across the housing paper again and realized that my apartment complex is trying to raise my rent $45 over what the housing contract says. I asked the apartment manager if housing had approved the rent increase and he says it doesn't matter what housing says, they're raising my rent and I'll have to pay the additional $45 out of pocket. I put a call in to my rep at section 8 but haven't heard back yet.
My question is, can my complex do this? Aren't they bound by the contract they have with the section 8 program? Do I have any rights here?

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
i have section 8 they are talking about terminating it due to i did not report unemployment was not aware of this i reported my work income. they say that because i want to relocate and not stay put that the supervisor will have to decided. who can i call to help me

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM

197 posts, read 393,057 times
Somewhere, most of this should be spelled out in paperwork that is publicly available. It has to follow that, if not, contact someone above them.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Call Community Legal Services (602) 258-3434 -- I would think they could either help you or refer you to someone who can.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,628 times
I am a 17 year old girl. I am turning 18 this month, I need to get outta my house but am still in High School and need somewhere cheap to stay. I was wondering how I go about the section 8 living. I only work part time right now until Im 18 and Im only a server at a resturant, if you can help let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi29 View Post
I am a 17 year old girl. I am turning 18 this month, I need to get outta my house but am still in High School and need somewhere cheap to stay. I was wondering how I go about the section 8 living. I only work part time right now until Im 18 and Im only a server at a resturant, if you can help let me know. Thanks.
You are not going to qualify for Section 8 as a minor without children, would be my guess. Move in with a friend or relative.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
You can look on Craigs List for a roommate who has a place and is looking for someone to share it with. There are college students who have apts. and would like to find someone to share expenses. If you are 18, you are considered adult but am wondering where your parents are? Can't they help you in someway? Also contact the counselor at your high school. They should have resources to help you also. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,628 times
My parents are the problem. & I do not want a room-mate, and when you tell your high schoo counselor all they do it run to your parents and that only causes more issues for me. & I thought they had places where your rent is based on your income?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Brandi: If you are 18 and considered adult, I believe the HS counselors are bound by confidentiality and would not be able to "run to your parents". There must be some other issue that you are facing. In order to get help, you probably need to confide in someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area