Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Observer53, I am surprised you have not heard more about this. Arizona lost more jobs than even Michigan this past recession unfortunately.

Tough times in Michigan, but Arizona may have it worse
The article you cite as "proof" is dated November 25, 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 AM

523 posts, read 938,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
The article you cite as "proof" is dated November 25, 2009.
Thanks for your thoughts Kimballette. An item of discussion Observer53 was talking about was who lost the most jobs of any area this past recession. The article was simply a source to show how the Phoenix area has lost more jobs than any other area, even over Michigan. Observer53 had an inquiry about it.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,744 times
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts Kimballette. An item of discussion Observer53 was talking about was who lost the most jobs of any area this past recession. The article was simply a source to show how the Phoenix area has lost more jobs than any other area, even over Michigan. Observer53 had an inquiry about it.
Yes, Enic. I've read the entire thread. You were called out on not providing specific data to support your statements. And since this is a public forum and not a chat room, I pointed out that you cited an article that's over a year old.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Yes, Enic. I've read the entire thread. You were called out on not providing specific data to support your statements. And since this is a public forum and not a chat room, I pointed out that you cited an article that's over a year old.
Thanks for your thoughts Kimballette. I thought most people were already aware of some of the facts, but I can go ahead and reference them in the future.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM

295 posts, read 553,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
TY for that I know many (even in my own family do) but my parents for example worked themselves into the ground my dad got Social Security disability, for a few years until he died. He was a coal miner, worked at Footmineral, (sp?), Bartlett Tree Co. sometimes 2-3 jobs at once. My mom raised 5 kids and had a long line of jobs being poor and in the Deep South she worked in cotton, tobacco, babysat, you name it. My siblings work and are proud. One is even a professor, my mom made her go to school even though she was 19, married, pregnant and lived with her husband in a different residence. My mom made her go until she graduated, she's so thankful now.

I have brain damage and seizures but still I've worked myself off SSI at times by being a janitor and such but sometimes the symptoms get so bad I can't anymore. But I was raised to work even as a kid I helped with neighbors reap their garden (we got to keep some/all that we picked), helped old people with work around their house, etc. We got what they were able to afford it went straight to the parents to survive.

I wish I could work full time (I've done it successfully at times, even 60 - 80 hours/wk) I get so depressed when I can't at least work/volunteer part time. I think people should be made to work at least pt for benefits if they can work at all. (let the docs. decide that). But I also think able-bodied people when they see people trying shouldn't assume we're faking, not everyone in a wheelchair has to use it ft for ex. (my mom is an example) and not all dogs you see are seeing eye dogs some are for hearing. Some are only legally blind but 1) There's so little information available to the able persons 2) There's so many fakers giving us all a bad name.

We never take food stamps unless we need them. We get $32 right now in Section 8 and my mom's Social Security takes a lot of it for meds but we make it. My mom taught us to be thankful for everything and not to feel entitled. I don't have any gaming systems. I have a $400 pc that is a really good one. I have a TV and mom has one. They're small ones for camping. Mines a tv/vcr combo, and she has a dvd player in her room. But we don't live large as they call it. My mom taught us taxpayers, inc. my siblings pay for all of those "freebies" I wish everyone realized that.

I also wish I could blame people for their prejudice but I feel like we're the minority of the people on Section 8, etc. But I don't know about other areas but here you have to have a squeak clean police record. I live in a small city in TN wanting to move though). They actually take your fingerprints and right well they should. Any criminal, inc. people faking it to work on the side, belong in jail. OK rant over.
I can understand a lot of what you are saying. I appreciate that you are trying to keep your costs down, and only using the stamps if you really need them. It is sad but with the joblessness problem in the Phoenix metro, public assistance is at an all time high, which is why so many areas are turning Section 8.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,152 times
Quote:
Observer53, I am surprised you have not heard more about this. Arizona lost more jobs than even Michigan this past recession unfortunately.

Tough times in Michigan, but Arizona may have it worse
Arizona lost a whole lot of jobs, but it has also gained a whole bunch of jobs. In fact, over the last 18 months, it has gained more jobs than almost anywhere in the U.S. (something that has been posted on this forum over and over), and that trend is predicted to continue. Yes, Arizona was hit hard by the national economy--just about harder than anywhere--but it is now a beacon of recovery, leading the way in job growth.
That's certainly good news and something to be happy about. There's no need to keep reciting out-of-date data just because it's gloomy. The rain is just about over and sunny skies await. The glass is no longer half-empty, but more than half-full. Cheer up and enjoy it.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Ritch,

While I wish what you were saying is true, it is unfortunately not the case.

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

Arizona has one of the highest U-6 umployment rates in the country. I haven't seen any news comparing jobs from the past 18 months versus other states.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Ritch,

While I wish what you were saying is true, it is unfortunately not the case.

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

Arizona has one of the highest U-6 umployment rates in the country. I haven't seen any news comparing jobs from the past 18 months versus other states.
What I'm saying is not true? You are the one who has earned the reputation of posting misleading, out-of-date, half-truth and/or sometimes down-right-lies.
Now you're saying my post is not true? Which part? I can prove my post true. The facts have been posted over-and-over. What part of my post is untrue?

U-6 is questionable at best. If a teenager working at Starbucks is part-time employed but wishes to be full-time, he is U-6 unemployed. If a stay-at-home mom used to have a job and now doesn't and is not even looking, she is U-6 unemployed. U-6 has a purpose, but it's not determining what the unemployment rate is for an area.
Our unemployment rate is below the national unemployment rate and falling, at 8.5%.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM

For example, from October '09 through November '10, there was a 26,900 net job growth in Phoenix metro. You can find that here: Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area
And here Phoenix 3rd in September job gains | Phoenix Business Journal you see that, from September '09 to September '10, Phoenix was third in job growth, with a net gain of 21,200. That was a 1.46% gain.
And here Best and Worst Cities for Jobs in 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate you see Yahoo! Real Estate predicting that Phoenix will have the fourth largest job growth this winter.

So what part of my post was untrue?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Ritchie,

Thanks for your comments. The Bureau of Labor Statistics would not be doing the U-6 measurement if it wasn't important. Economists say this is the "real" unemployment level.

Here is a good local article on Phoenix and its troublesome jobless picture:

Arizona's official unemployment rate not the full picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area