Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 91,241 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I are considering moving to Arizona. We are trying to determine where (east of Phoenix or west of Phoenix) and then within those areas, which town - Scottsdale, Chandler, Glendale, Gilbert, Avondale. I don't know where to begin with researching the schools. It's a different layout than NJ (where I am now). I also discovered that you are not bound to the school district with which you reside (like NJ).

My oldest is currently in 5th, my second is in pre-k and another soon to follow. They both excel academically. I would like to keep it that way. Do the public schools have pre-k/preschool programs? Are they all day, half day or varying? Are there specific districts to look in or stay away from? I am looking for a good academic structure, varying choices in activities and basically just as many opportunities as possible for my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,046,851 times
I am from NY, so I understand your confusion over boundaries and the set up here. It is different. Try to get a home in Kyrene district....I teach in another that I will not name and I can tell you Kyrene is the best I have seen. I would recommned my class, but not my district, which is a sad, but true, statement. There are other good schools in some districts, but overall, I have had the most positive interaction with students/staff from Kyrene.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
There are other good districts, but I agree with the above poster. The reputation of Kyrene schools (which are in south Tempe, parts of SE Phoenix, and north Chandler) is excellent.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,797,157 times
Most of the Lunch Program numbers will shock the average person. People make a lot of fuss about a few section 8 units, but hey, what about the local school where 90%+ of the students are getting Lunch Subsidies. I've worked in these schools frequently, but I would think twice about my kid growing up around people reliant on Public Assistance, and the main criteria IS HAVING VIRTUALLY ZERO ASSETS.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Most of the Lunch Program numbers will shock the average person. People make a lot of fuss about a few section 8 units, but hey, what about the local school where 90%+ of the students are getting Lunch Subsidies. I've worked in these schools frequently, but I would think twice about my kid growing up around people reliant on Public Assistance, and the main criteria IS HAVING VIRTUALLY ZERO ASSETS.
What is the point of this post, in terms of asking the OP's question? You don't identify the schools where you've worked which you assume are substandard based on the number of lunch subsidies, (I don't think you have children yourself) and you don't have any other specific recommendations for the OP of districts that would be of better quality.

(and, BTW, in the lunch subsidy application which I have found online in the past (happens to be for Kyrene district) eligibility is based on income and family size, there's no information requested on "assets.) It may be different in other districts, but since this is a federal program, I doubt it. Back to topic.

Last edited by observer53; 02-09-2011 at 02:25 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Thank you. I will start researching that district. Does anyone have any suggestions on high school? I didn't see any listed on the district website (unless I overlooked it). Also, are there any decent districts near Peoria? My husband wanted to look into that area as well instead of Avondale.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,797,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
What is the point of this post, in terms of asking the OP's question? You don't identify the schools where you've worked which you assume are substandard based on the number of lunch subsidies, (I don't think you have children yourself) and you don't have any other specific recommendations for the OP of districts that would be of better quality.

(and, BTW, in the lunch subsidy application which I have found online in the past (happens to be for Kyrene district) eligibility is based on income and family size, there's no information requested on "assets.) It may be different in other districts, but since this is a federal program, I doubt it. Back to topic.
(near) Zero assets is a requirement of most Federal Public Assistance Programs. A large number of students in free lunch were automatically enrolled, when their mothers (or fathers) enrolled in the Food Stamp program, which specifically limits your assets, as does Sec 8 and Medicaid.

They asked a very general question, and I gave them a good guideline.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 AM

I'm not concerned as to how many children receive lunch money assistance. In NJ there are plenty of kids that do not receive welfare, food stamps or anything else but their children qualify for reduced or free lunch. Perhaps the requirements are different in AZ but in NJ the only information required on the lunch assistance form is how many people are in the households, their ages and the total income.

I'm interested in how good/involved the teachers are, student/teacher ratio, the curriculum taught - is it advanced or laidback?, what kind of activities they have, etc...I want my children to have the best opportunity to learn so they are more prepared for high school and college. I want them to have the ability to handle AP classes and the option to take them. I don't want them to be limited with their success or opportunity at the hand of the school district. Does this help? I'm not sure how else to specify what I am looking for.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,199,867 times
Check out these sites, they may help:

Arizona Schools - Arizona State School Ratings - Public and Private

Arizona Department of Education Home Page

Arizona/AZ Public Schools - Public School Review

Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,533,741 times
In Phoenix, it's not so much the "district" that is important as it is the individual schools your kids would attend. A little research goes a long ways.
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Best Schools in Phoenix - Find a Good School in Maricopa County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area