Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palenaka View Post
Awesome! That's great news
I'm not an expert, but I believe the slightly above average rainfall plus general lack of new construction kept a lot of the dust down. If I remember correctly, harsher fines and more strict dust-control rules were implemented a few years back, but I could be wrong--I've read a lot of different things--and maybe that had an effect.
In any event, the air quality in Phoenix is often exaggerated and misunderstood. But it's still good to know 2010 was a "better" year in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
Not bad for me. Compared to the allergies that I used to get back east, I hardly have any. If I drive all day with the windows open, or sleep on the couch next to an open patio door, then I will have a little bit of a scratchy throat and red eyes, but that's about as far as it goes. I can feel a slight burn in my sinuses, but nothing that would prompt me to take any medication.

Phoenix is heaven compared to the misery I used to have to endure for months at a time.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM

21 posts, read 22,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
It could be helpful to wear some sort of mouth guard breathing mechanism if you have to go outside. I use one on a regular basis.
I have seen more and more people using these. With the frequency of the pollution warnings, it makes sense for people if they have to be outside for a long time.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Dry air is not good for allergies because it allows more dust, pollution, and other irritants to become more widespread. This winter has been horrible due to the lack of rain, low humidity, and all the wind. Lately, the afternoon humidity readings have been under 10%, and this is more typical for June than February! It's not a normal winter in many aspects ... so if you're allergic to dust and other irritants, then Phoenix is not the ideal location right now.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM

295 posts, read 553,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I came out here to look at some places to buy and have been plagued by a horrible cough the whole time. Is it the dryness in the air? Pollution? A cold?? Did I get pertussis? Allergies? Should I rethink my decision to move back here??? Oy vey...
It's a common thing for people who do not do enough research about the air quality problems in the Phoenix area. There are many possible sources in the air which could be the underlying cause. Do some research on Valley Fever.

What are some of the other symptoms you have?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 AM

523 posts, read 938,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Dry air is not good for allergies because it allows more dust, pollution, and other irritants to become more widespread. This winter has been horrible due to the lack of rain, low humidity, and all the wind. Lately, the afternoon humidity readings have been under 10%, and this is more typical for June than February! It's not a normal winter in many aspects ... so if you're allergic to dust and other irritants, then Phoenix is not the ideal location right now.
I have heard many people talking about the same thing. Many people's allergies act up, and the respiratory illnesses such as Valley fever take hold under such conditions. Necessary precautions can be helpful, such as wearing masks outdoors and only being outside when you have to be.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM

295 posts, read 553,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
The air problems just seem to get worse and worse here. I can see why so many have to leave to avoid the breathing issues.
More and more recognition has come to the air quality problems here. The more people join in to fight, the quicker we can stop this problem from getting worse.

Please join the fight to preserve our health. Resources are available throughout the Internet.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 PM

568 posts, read 1,207,645 times
I've never suffered much from allergies, fortunately. But last spring (my first year in my house) when my next door neighbor's Mulberry started blooming...OMG I couldn't stop coughing, sneezing, etc. It was so weird. Anyhow, it's a beautiful tree but it made me feel sympathy for all those who suffer! I've heard the Mulberry trees are especially allergenic, too.

Good luck to all of you who have allergies. I know it must be difficult, and from what I understand, the treatments(shots, etc.) are not always covered even if you're lucky enough to have medical insurance. And as I understand it, it's expensive!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieWrecked View Post
My allergies have been really bad this year, worse than ever before
That user name is hilarious

Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 AM

523 posts, read 938,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSnakesMan View Post
I have seen more and more people using these. With the frequency of the pollution warnings, it makes sense for people if they have to be outside for a long time.
People need to do what they have to do for this. As the air quality has worsened over the years, people adapt. The way in which the Pheonxi air gets worse poses serious problems for people's health according to the studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area