Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,357,859 times

Advertisements

I don't think it did miss this one. I think the cop didn't have it running. How/why would it miss a close-range, unobstructed Ka-band burst and then pick up several more in the next 10 miles along Carefree Hwy? And how have I not been nailed this way in the last four yrs. of running this device? When I've gotten nailed with it, it was with instant-on Ka-band and my detector immediately went to full bars and chirps.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 PM

4,146 posts, read 2,842,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I don't think it did miss this one. I think the cop didn't have it running. How/why would it miss a close-range, unobstructed Ka-band burst and then pick up several more in the next 10 miles along Carefree Hwy? And how have I not been nailed this way in the last four yrs. of running this device? When I've gotten nailed with it, it was with instant-on Ka-band and my detector immediately went to full bars and chirps.
You do know what "Instant On" is right? There is no warning.

as someone who's worked HP ( Highway Patrol ), if you believe you are in the right, fight it, take it to court, explain yourself. You might win. Just trust me on this - do not roll into court with all of the revenue, anti cop, bad cop, gimme the money BS you are seeing in this thread. Just go in there and tell the truth, let the cards fall where they may.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:42 PM

222 posts, read 389,904 times
Lets see, PA tickets, VA tickets, CA tickets, and now AZ. Do you see a pattern yet? Yep, I'm sure it was the cops doing.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
I'm gonna agree with the majority on here, Rick . . .

Request a court appearance, leave the "attitude" at home and give it your best shot but be prepared to pay the fine.

It has been proven countless times . . . Radar Detectors are worthless when it comes to Instant On Radar and Laser Guns unless they pick up the signal aimed at a vehicle ahead of you. I have a feeling you've just been super lucky in the past.

Good Luck

Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
Just one stupid question, if you don't speed...why do you need the detector and why are you so worried it didn't detect the one that got you, not to say you were speeding...but I don't think I would say in court my detector didn't pick it up....just sayin....

Old 02-12-2011, 07:27 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,789 times
Like I have been telling people in Arizona for years now, if you drive naked you will never get a speeding ticket.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Just one stupid question, if you don't speed...why do you need the detector and why are you so worried it didn't detect the one that got you, not to say you were speeding...but I don't think I would say in court my detector didn't pick it up....just sayin....
Great question, Granny.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM

I never said I don't speed. But I do it either in the middle of nowhere, like between Wickenburg and Kingman or with the flow of traffic, which is ALWAYS well above the posted limit, but technically, still breaking the law. A very few times I have been nailed because I'm the guy in the fast car, even when I've been passed like I was standing still (happened once when a fleet of bikes passed me in front of a speed camera on I-17). Often times we're all going well over the posted limit, but sometimes they get me. Why the hell should I only go 70 on I-10 in the middle of the desert? Why is 70 safe in CA but 75 is ok in AZ, both in the middle of nowhere?

I've had my detector also tell me to slow down in time for someone to pass me and then the cop pulled that car over instead of me. I travel a lot for work and don't always know the areas, so I like having a RD to let me know where the cops hang out. Hey, if they can watch me, I can watch them. I have no guilty conscience whatsoever about speeding because speed limits have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with raising revenue and catering to the lowest common denominator of drivers who hog the left lane, chat on their phone or text. If 80% of the cars are always going 10-15 mph over the limit, why is the limit so low? So they can write tickets when they want to do so. If they cared about making people slow down, they'd stand on the side of the road with their lights on, wearing orange vests. Instead, they hide and use instant-on to "catch" people.

Yes, I know instant-on gives little or no warning. But it still sets a detector off, even if it's too late. My detector didn't make a peep on thi latest one, which is why I think the cop didn't get me.

Anyway, I know how to handle this stuff in court and have only ever come away empty handed once. I'm pretty sure the worst that can happen is I still have to go to online traffic school. BTW, if I was really doing something dangerous, why can I buy my way out of the points and fine by going to some online driving school that costs more than the fine, but still goes to the state? Does anyone really think this has something to do with safety? If I didn't have the money to buy my way out of these points, should I have to take the points and pay the lower fine instead? Does anyone really think that's right?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM

523 posts, read 937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
The band the officer was using can have a bearing. There have been a few courts where the band made a difference in the accuracy of the measurement.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 PM

I didn't have X-band blocked on this detector, so as far as I know, I had everything available to me they have available to them. Though I've never heard of them using X-band in AZ. I think they only use it in NJ anymore. I've been hit with laser before and my detector picked it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area