Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM

9 posts, read 25,978 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Seattle area and have been considering a move for sometime now. For a while we focused on Colorado, but for some reason my husband isn't too imressed. Arizona is on the radar, specifically Anthem.

I am a big fan of master planned communities and I happened to see Anthem on tv via the reality show, downsized. We have two very small kids and we are an active family, so Anthem looks as if it might be a good fit. When we visit we'll be sure to check out the other large MP communities is the greater Phoenix are, but for now I'm stuck on Anthem.

Anyway for my questions, so on the tv show the family appeared to do a lot outside, even in the summertime. The mother ran (okay, it might have been very early like 5am) and the kids would be outside playing throughout the day sometimes. I was under the impression that it was too hot to do anything during the summer, but maybe I was wrong.

During their summer break from school, the kids on the tv show would walk around posting flyers door to door and they looked a little hot, but they weren't dripping in sweat. Here in Seattle we don't have AC, so a couple weeks out of the year we suffer and I am dripping in sweat when the temp reaches 85 and above. I guess it's a humidity thing?

So can you be active outside during the summer months? What about playgrounds? Will there be times during the day that it will be too hot (or the equipment will be too hot) for the kids to play?

A few other questions, are there many car dealerships near Anthem? Maybe on the way towards Phoenix? Is there an auto row somewhere, or maybe more than one?

What about community colleges and hopsitals? I plan to go to nursing school down the road and I did a quick search and it looks like I'd be driving at least 45 min to get to a CC, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,186,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody12 View Post
We currently live in the Seattle area and have been considering a move for sometime now. For a while we focused on Colorado, but for some reason my husband isn't too imressed. Arizona is on the radar, specifically Anthem.

I am a big fan of master planned communities and I happened to see Anthem on tv via the reality show, downsized. We have two very small kids and we are an active family, so Anthem looks as if it might be a good fit. When we visit we'll be sure to check out the other large MP communities is the greater Phoenix are, but for now I'm stuck on Anthem.

Anyway for my questions, so on the tv show the family appeared to do a lot outside, even in the summertime. The mother ran (okay, it might have been very early like 5am) and the kids would be outside playing throughout the day sometimes. I was under the impression that it was too hot to do anything during the summer, but maybe I was wrong.

During their summer break from school, the kids on the tv show would walk around posting flyers door to door and they looked a little hot, but they weren't dripping in sweat. Here in Seattle we don't have AC, so a couple weeks out of the year we suffer and I am dripping in sweat when the temp reaches 85 and above. I guess it's a humidity thing?

So can you be active outside during the summer months? What about playgrounds? Will there be times during the day that it will be too hot (or the equipment will be too hot) for the kids to play?

A few other questions, are there many car dealerships near Anthem? Maybe on the way toward Phoenix? Is there an auto row somewhere, or maybe more than one?

What about community colleges and hopsitals? I plan to go to nursing school down the road and I did a quick search and it looks like I'd be driving at least 45 min to get to a CC, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wow, a lot of questions!

First, weather. It is HOT here in the summer. Can you do outdoor activities? Yes, just do them early in the AM or later in the evening. Mid day is a killer. No sweating, it's too dry. It will be a few degrees cooler in Anthem than other parts of the valley because it is higher in elevation and away from the heat island. Kids can go to the community pool.

Anthem is a wonderful community, great for raising a family. But, it is on the edge of the north valley so it is a commute to anywhere.

No car dealerships in the immediate area. Closest are a couple near I-17 and Bell Rd (12 miles), in Scottsdale near Scottsdale Rd and 101 (24 miles), near Arrowhead Mall (22 miles).

Closest community colleges are Glendale and Paradise Valley CC (30-45 min. depending on time of day). They may have some remote locations closer. I do not know much about the nursing program, but here is a link.

Maricopa Community Colleges District Nursing Program

Also, there are several private nursing programs from Apollo, Grand Canyon U and others. Do a search for Phoenix Nursing schools.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,152 times
I'll add that there are a number of master-planned communities around Phoenix that are just as nice (and sometimes nicer) than Anthem. I wouldn't focus just on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area