Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieWrecked View Post
Everything north of Frank Lloyd Wright is going to be the nicer part of Scottsdale, everything to the south is older and overpriced housing.
A bit too much of an overgeneralization, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 PM

111 posts, read 208,714 times
I know. . . I'm sorry. Can you tell I'm having one of those days

I just want to move to a warm climate and see palm trees, and never, ever have to shovel again.

Thanks for listening and your suggestions everyone. {{{Hugs}}}

Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose3408 View Post
Thanks for the info. Actually, I have been to Phoenix and Scottsdale three times within the last 6 yrs. Here's my history, experience and thoughts:

PHOENIX -- Every time I've been to Phoenix, I felt the same; crazy busy, much like Chicago (which I hate) traffic is insane, crime, not the best in the way the area looks.

SCOTTSDALE -- I thought it felt a bit more comfortable than Phoenix and more appealing to the eye. I still did feel traffic was crazy! I guess that's the Wisconsintte in me. I like a more relaxed neighborhood, and where you don't need to get on a 4-lane highway to get anywhere.

During my last visit in Scottsdale, and on the last day of my stay, I saw a house I really liked for sale in McCormick Ranch. This was about 5 yrs ago. And "on a whim" I bought it! (I still can't believe I did that.) The Realtor convinced me I would lose it otherwise, even though it was more than I could afford. She convinced me to do an "interest only" loan.

Anyways, long story longer. . . I never moved out there and four months later, I decided it just didn't feel right, especially with the upgrades needed and the pool. I never owned a pool, and I quickly realized you need a pool man (second duh?) especially if I'm not living there, so I sold it. Made a profit though, but capital gains killed me.

So, yes, I'm being honest here, and admit I made some mistakes. I went through a divorce at the time, my youngest was now off to college and on his own, and there I was. I needed a change, and new life. And being that my best friend lived out there, it made me feel comfortable knowing that I already knew someone who lived there.

Fast forward to today -- I desperately need a change! My son is now married, and it's tough having to see my ex with his "hootchie-mama," and the life I could and should have had after a 20 yr marriage.

After our last "blizzard of 2011" here in Wisconsin, I said I've had enough, and don't ever want to shovel again. I hate the cold!

So, I know I want a warm climate, palm trees, decent shopping, obviously job opportunities, and most definitely a Trader Joe's; love that place!

After reading my pre-requisites, some of you may say California, but there is no way I can afford to live there.

I'm trying to find that right place, like everyone. Yes, I do think Scottsdale' traffic is crazy, home are somewhat piled onto one another, to be honest, they almost all look the same. Again, that's the Wisconsinitte in me talking. Here in Wisconsin, they all have character, and quite a bit of distance between the homes.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is a place like Kenosha, Wisconsin, a smaller town feel, but yet having all the amenities, without having to drive 20-30 minutes to get to the store(s).

I really appreciate your input so much!

I wasn't referring to you in my comment above about overgeneralization, but I'll still say you ARE overgeneralizing way too much about Phoenix when you say things about "the area".

That said, you are not going to find anything like Kenosha, WI in the Valley. If you must have Trader Joe's, look at Prescott. It's not built yet, but it's coming. Job market not great, though (depending on your field) and it does snow there at times in the winter. The rest of the year is quite nice.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Default Prescott

I considered Prescott, however, when I spoke with my friend in AZ her first response was, "why on earth would you move out there, there is nothing out there." And then of course there is the snow, which is what I do want to get away from.

And now I heard the Trader Joe's story in Prescott is pretty much just, that -- a story, they are considering opening a store in that location, but it's not definite.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,964 times
North Scottsdale is really nice and I live in zip code 85254 which is the city of Phoenix but with a Scottsdale mailing address. They call 85254 the magic zip code because you get the best of 3 worlds: a Scottsdale mailing address, paying lower property taxes in the city of Phoenix if you own a house within the zip code and you can send your kids to the Paradise Valley Unified School District for education. I love this area because I live only minutes from Desert Ridge/City North shopping areas, easy freeway access to the Loop 101 and 51, minutes from Paradise Valley Mall, Kierland Commons and the hustle and bustle of Scottsdale Road. Also, since this area allows you a Scottsdale Address, you can take advantage of the City of Scottsdale services like it's great libraries and since it's in North Scottsdale, I like how you can be far enough yet close enough to the tourist spots of downtown/old town Scottsdale area. I have an Uncle that lives in Far North Scottsdale like in the multi-million dollar home areas but I really consider his area Cave Creek/Carefree area since they neighbor that part of Far North Scottsdale. Most locals when they refer to North Scottsdale mean anything north of Shea, the Scottsdale airport area or all the neighborhoods that line Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard I think are what most people consider the North Scottsdale Area.

I'm originally from the South Bay area of Los Angeles and from my stand point, traffic is nothing compared to Southern California since I've been living in Arizona. I don't think anybody can really complain about traffic unless they lived and grew up in a huge metropolis like Los Angeles. As far as my point of view traffic when dropped down to 40 mph on local Phoenix metro freeways is nothing. So, overall, I'd consider living in North Scottsdale/North Phoenix area. You have a lot of good suggestions as well from other people that have commented earlier. Good Luck!

Oh yeah! Trader Joe's is like 5 minutes away from the Kierland area and it's at the Promenade Plaza on Frank Lloyd Wright. So, consider zip codes 85254 and 85255 if you plan to move here.

Last edited by AZ480; 02-18-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Hello AZ480

Thank you for your input and info. I greatly appreciate. I really love everyone help on the AZ forum. You guys/girls are great!

I think you're right about the traffic. My son lives in Diego, and when I went to visit him a few years ago, it was my first visit to CA and what a wake-up call that was for the li'l Midwest girl! Just to get to the mall (which had an "outdoor" escalator" which blew me away) and any shopping we had to get on a 4-lane highway. My first thought was, "how do people live like this!" I have to admit, CA was much worse than AZ.

In regards to areas, my friend l ives in the 85259 zip code area.

I will be coming out there in April and presently looking at a place to stay. Considered hotels/resorts, but I was thinking if I could find a really nice condo or casita, and really liked the place, I would considered it my long-term stay should I decided to relocate.

Ideally, I would love to find someone who has a big house, with a casita or guest house they are willing to rent out. I like the idea of living with someone, yet in separate quarters, and they are also there to advise and direct me, and enjoy a few glasses of wine sitting out on the patio, now and then.

I have a beautiful 3-bedroom here in Wisconsin, and already a buyer. Oh, the pressure.

I'm a 55 yr young very active female, who enjoys hiking, long fast walks, biking, and is also very neat and meticulous. Gee, this sounds like a description for a dating site!

If anyone knows of anyone who is interested in renting out their guest house, I would be VERY interested.

Right now the two places I looked at are:
Choice #1 - condo at the "Signature Scottsdale" on Frank Lloyd Wright and Raintree.

Choice #2 - condo at "Kierland Scottsdale" at the "Allison's Condo complex."

What are thoughts AZ480 on the above mentioned #1 & #2?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
You sound like you are kind of at that transition age as a lot of us here...what draws you to Scottsdale? Speaking of job opportunities,what do you plan on doing as jobs are rather skinny at the moment for a lot of people? Do you have something lined up? Transfer opportunity? I am thinking other areas may give you more bang for the buck, especially after selling your house in WI, hang onto the profit...On the other hand, personally coming from primarily MN, I think you will like it. It does get hot in the summer, but no different than hibernating in the winter and you cannot shovel the heat or scrape it off your windshield...No bundling up and crunch, crunching in -0 crap, and you will no doubt like winters down here.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,752 times
I am not sure what part of Phoenix you were in that reminded you of Chicago and looked not the best but I can probably guarantee you were nowhere near Toscana and Desert Ridge. In fact I further guarantee that if I took down all the signs and plunked you in the middle of a street you could not tell whether you were in Phoenix or Scottsdale in many places.

Again generally anywhere in the areas we have all mentioned is nice.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 PM

50 posts, read 170,035 times
I think I saw this/your same thread earlier. You can't go wrong with Kierland or the Desert Ridge area, as ivanabacowboy stated. (The Signature is a conversion, btw)

Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,964 times
Well, I'm partial to choice #2 Kierland since that is in the 85254 zip code and I live like less than 5 minutes from the Kierland Residential and shopping areas. Choice #1 isn't so bad but Frank Lloyd Wright and Raintree is high is traffic since the Loop 101 has exits for both those streets but either choice is great, you are still in one of the best parts of North Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area