Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,671 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband will be transferring to AZ for job reasons and given the location of his future workplace (I-17 and 101) in North Phoenix, we're looking for homes (to rent, for now) in the area.
I'm particularly interested in Anthem and the Happy Valley area, although I don't know much about those areas. We've lived in Chandler about 5 years ago for over 1 year, and we loved it but I know it's totally on the other side of town and it's not a possibility. I'm used to the heat and all that, and yes, I know it's a big city, with all its problems and blah blah blah... but since this is due to his job, it's not a matter of wanting to move, we ARE moving for sure, so please, keep the negative comments, I've read all sorts of them already and I know pretty much what expects us there.

I am a stay-at-home mom, with a 5-year old toddler, so being in a family-friendly and kid-friendly community/area, is pretty important to us. I know the public school system there isn't very good, but I've heard there are better areas and we're actually considering a private school for him, I'd love to get recommendations for a good private school as well.

If we were to live in those two areas I mentioned, how far would would it be, how long of a commute? I've seen at google maps that the Happy Valley area is about 9 miles from where he will be working and it says it's about 12 minutes, but I've also heard that I-17 is pretty bad, although it could be better now after the expansion and all... He might be working on the morning shift from 7 am - 3 pm or night shift from 1 pm - 10 pm.

Also, how's safety around Anthem or Happy Valley? Coming from Utah, from one of the safest cities to live, I know it's kinda hard to compare to a big city suburb, but there certainly are better and worse areas to live.

We'd like to stay close to shopping, groceries, and all that and it would be great to live in a community with pool, courts, trails and etc for my kid..
We're looking to stay within $1,500 per month in a 3 bd, 2 1/2 bth home. (that's what we pay right now for a 1,800 sq. ft townhome)

Well, I guess that's it, I'd really be thankful to get some tips and pointers on these areas and look forward to hearing from you all who live out there.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 03:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Anthem is a good pick and close enough to the work location. There are issues with the I-17 traffic however that’s something that will improve when road construction is completed, usually a long delay in north bound in the evening and south in the mornings.

The only thing I’ve heard that is negative about homes there has been foundations and walks cracking because of the quality of soil the homes were built on. This is something that should be looked into when making a purchase. Over the years improvements in home construction methods for this type of issue appear to have helped. Anthem isn’t the lonely location in the metro valley area with the poor soil issues and foundation building. Contractors have developed ways to stabilize the foundations and newer built homes don’t have the issue. I’m sorry I can’t remember the time period of construction that this issue occurred for home construction.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,662 times
Hey there,

The area he will be working in is really convenient to ALOT of areas. Pretty much anything along the 101 and the areas you are picking out are nice.

I think Anthem is a bit of a stretch down the I-17 and a little bottlenecked cause there aren't many ways in & outta there, but not ridiculous and might be worth the drive if you really want to live the mega master plan lifestyle. If commute is more important however, I would say to include any area in your search thats north of Loop 101 and west of 59th ave.

67th & Happy Valley has an area called Terramar thats real nice, and then a little further there is an area called Sonoran Mountain Ranch. Fletcher Heights @83/Deer Valley or Dove Valley Ranch @95/Deer Valley. Even Arrowhead Ranch, but north of the loop is a little more popular than the older southern part. Some people call the south part of Arrowhead, "Arrowhood" just to poke fun but its really not bad.

I could name a bunch of areas that are really nice to live in. Don't constrain yourself to Anthem. There are alot of good areas in easy driving distance to where he will work overall and Peoria Schools are highly rated, so don't worry that you are taking a step down in safety coming from Utah.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,099 times
Anthem is nice. One of the schools out there are better thn athe other. The schools East of I-17 aren't the best that the district has to offer. The better ones are West of 59th.

If I were you I would look into what cmist said. It's an easier drive and you would be very close to the NW Valleys shopping hub.

This is a link for most of the schools you were looking at. North Peoria also has some good ones. Just plug their name in greatschools and that should give you a pretty good idea. https://www.dvusd.org/pages_our_schools/attendance_maps_k-6.htm (broken link)

The only private school in our area is Community Church of Joy. I wasn't very impressed when we toured it. If you're big on the Christian thing it might be an option. There are also some Charter schools in the area.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:26 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabesmom View Post
Hello, my husband will be transferring to AZ for job reasons.....

Thanks!!
Where do you find these jobs? I and many many people like me have lost our jobs and unable to find one.....and we live here! Terrific, another person moving here and using more utilities, more state resources, causing more traffic and taking jobs from people who live here. Its getting very very old.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
The trip from Anthem is getting better. The freeway is being widened. Parts are open but it looks like some of it is several months away. I like Anthem because it is easier to get out of town to go up north if you live there. If that is not something that matters to you then there are closer places like Arrowhead to consider.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,662 times
In all likelihood you'll be going towards the city rather than away from it on most days, and for the unique occasions when you go out of town, add on the extra 20 minutes it might take in areas that are south of Anthem. Only live there if you love what you see in Anthem and not based on being 20 minutes closer to vacation spots.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Where do you find these jobs? I and many many people like me have lost our jobs and unable to find one.....and we live here! Terrific, another person moving here and using more utilities, more state resources, causing more traffic and taking jobs from people who live here. Its getting very very old.
It appears the poster's husband is being transferred within a company he already works for. Companies don't have to hire to fill positions, if it is more appropriate to transfer.

People moving here is a fact of life. You recite this same complaint every time someone comes here, particularly if they have a job. I suspect this person is probably replacing someone who left, maybe even left the state. So, that makes it even. People are moving in and out of any state all the time. You're leaving in a few months yourself. And, the OP's husband didn't take a job you could have had. No reason to be so unwelcoming.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,355 times
My husband works in the I-17/101 area and we live in Moon Valley near Thunderbird Rd. and 7th St. It is an older area but very nice and family oriented. We have more than a few elementary schools in the area that are rated "excelling" and there are lots of parks, bike paths, golf courses and hiking areas very close by. We also are close to several shopping areas. My husband says the drive from our house to his work is appoximately 10 minutes. So if you don't mind renting an older home in a neighborhood that is less cookie-cutter looking and has more trees and lawns, then it might be for you. Welcome and I hope your family enjoys your new home.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
My husband works in the I-17/101 area and we live in Moon Valley near Thunderbird Rd. and 7th St. It is an older area but very nice and family oriented. We have more than a few elementary schools in the area that are rated "excelling" and there are lots of parks, bike paths, golf courses and hiking areas very close by. We also are close to several shopping areas. My husband says the drive from our house to his work is appoximately 10 minutes. So if you don't mind renting an older home in a neighborhood that is less cookie-cutter looking and has more trees and lawns, then it might be for you. Welcome and I hope your family enjoys your new home.
Crystalys is right, I know that area well, as my sister lived there for a long time. That really is a nice area to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area