Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Where do you find these jobs? I and many many people like me have lost our jobs and unable to find one.....and we live here! Terrific, another person moving here and using more utilities, more state resources, causing more traffic and taking jobs from people who live here. Its getting very very old.
I agree, I can't find a job either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I agree, I can't find a job either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Where do you find these jobs? I and many many people like me have lost our jobs and unable to find one.....and we live here! Terrific, another person moving here and using more utilities, more state resources, causing more traffic and taking jobs from people who live here. Its getting very very old.
I'm sorry you two can't find work, I don't know why, or what your fields are (I think autumn's is child care), but the rudeness to a poster who is not responsible for your problems, and whose husband is taking a job by transfer because that's how his employer chooses to fill the position, not his fault, really isn't justified. He isn't taking a job from either of you. People are moving in and out of every metro area in the country. Fact of life. Krock's leaving, these folks can take krock's place.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-07-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,765 times
Right thats a fact of life and happens in every city regardless of economy. I am out of work but I can't be mad at someone moving into Cleveland to take a job that could better his or her family. Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-07-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 AM

426 posts, read 1,307,131 times
We've lived near I-17 and Carefree Highway (in Tramonto to be specific) since late July and really like it so far. My wife and I have a 2 1/2 year old and a six month old.

I did some digging on the Deer Valley School District and basically anyone that lives north of Carefree Highway will have their kids routed to the newer schools. I was shocked to see people that lives just on the other side of Carefree Highway send their kids to Goldwater High School which is a pretty good distance compared to what I'm used to back in Texas.

My wife and I drove down I-17 to 101 on Friday and southbound is making a lot of good progress with the construction. I would be surprised if all the southbound lanes from Carefree Highway to the 101 weren't finished in the next three months (based on the rate of progress over the last month or two).

It takes us just 10 or 15 minutes to get to Anthem, and that is if I take the back up way up North Valley Parkway. We're about 15 minutes from the shopping at Happy Valley and about 10 minutes from Cave Creek (they just passed the vote for a new Super WalMart).

Old 11-08-2009, 12:53 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,662 times
I know Im gonna get heat for this, but Moon Valley is more like this little jewel surrounded by riffraff. I love the way the neighborhoods are more unique, older homes on larger lots... But in all seriousness, there is a huge discrepancy between Moon Valley and all the neighborhoods that border it.

I mean its largely bordered by Cave Creek / Tbird on one side, a stones throw from Sunnyslope which is pretty awful, and then on the other end its 19th Ave & Tbird which isnt exactly nice either unless you're into smoke shops, horse races and drive-thru licquor marts. It really is a funky little zone.

If you live deep in the country club part, you are pretty far inside MV, but if you have small children its unlikely you are looking to join the aging country club crowd. Moon valley is a much more established/mature area and has less young families than the parts the OP was originally mentioning. Tramonto as mentioned in the post above is alot more similar to Anthem and the suburbs in north glendale/peoria for sure.

All that said, I still like moon valley and if I didnt have kids and the need to live somewhere that they are likely to find an abundance of friends, I might pick Moon valley over Peoria/Glendale. I do prefer the style of homes there much more than the newer subdivisions but dont agree that its the best demographics for someone that is looking to be surrounded by young families and more consistent areas within the school boundaries.

Last edited by cmist; 11-08-2009 at 01:22 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
I was shocked to see people that lives just on the other side of Carefree Highway send their kids to Goldwater High School which is a pretty good distance compared to what I'm used to back in Texas..
Actually going from I-17/Carefree highway to Goldwater High School is an unusual distance even for Phx. Thats not even typical for here. Seems like a huge boundary getting pulled into that one school if they are reaching all the way to Carefree highway from the 101!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Actually going from I-17/Carefree highway to Goldwater High School is an unusual distance even for Phx. Thats not even typical for here. Seems like a huge boundary getting pulled into that one school if they are reaching all the way to Carefree highway from the 101!
It is a pretty large attendance area. Here's the map:

https://www.dvusd.org/pages_our_schools/attendance_maps_9-12.htm (broken link)

Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 AM

223 posts, read 596,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm sorry you two can't find work, I don't know why, or what your fields are (I think autumn's is child care), but the rudeness to a poster who is not responsible for your problems, and whose husband is taking a job by transfer because that's how his employer chooses to fill the position, not his fault, really isn't justified. He isn't taking a job from either of you. People are moving in and out of every metro area in the country. Fact of life. Krock's leaving, these folks can take krock's place.
I agree. I was brought here by my company (initially against my wishes but now I'm getting to like it) because I was intimately familiar with the systems and services we needed to setup here. Once I setup those systems in Phoenix, we were able to relocate a bunch of job functions from New York, and thus, hire a bunch of people here instead of in NY - so my being brought here has indirectly enabled the company to hire several locals. Further - I've spent about $15k so far on furniture from local stores, which is presumably a benefit to the local economy. It's not as cut-and-dried as these negative posters seem to think.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Moon Valley is truly one of the best locations because it’s convenient to anything in any direction without trying to drive the freeway rush hour that turns into a parking lot. In most cases you can live here and within 20~30 minutes at work on surface streets. Bus transportation down 7th Street from Thunderbird to the downtown area is convenient and cost effective.

It’s hard to find a negative item about living in Moon Valley area and working most anyplace in the valley. Unlike living in the suburbs on the far east, southeast and west sides of town, this location office the best of all worlds within the Phoenix metro area.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Moon Valley is truly one of the best locations because it’s convenient to anything in any direction without trying to drive the freeway rush hour that turns into a parking lot. In most cases you can live here and within 20~30 minutes at work on surface streets. Bus transportation down 7th Street from Thunderbird to the downtown area is convenient and cost effective.

It’s hard to find a negative item about living in Moon Valley area and working most anyplace in the valley. Unlike living in the suburbs on the far east, southeast and west sides of town, this location office the best of all worlds within the Phoenix metro area.
Location is great, commuting is great, but the OP has small children and concerned about school districts. Moon Valley as I said is surrounded by demographics that are WAY WAY inferior to its own demographics. For that reason I dont think the schooling is as consistent as the North Peoria / North Glendale / Anthem areas that they originally inquired about.

Moon Valley is predominantly an established country club / golf thing too, and young families arent as likely to jive with the mature crowd. There is alot more consistency to the subdivisions up north even if its alot less architecturally stimulating, and the commute times are a little longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area