Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 19,771 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's another photo ticket question...
I was going left at Scottsdale and Shea and I KNOW the left arrow was yellow when I entered the intersection. In fact, I remember being right in front of the camera on the far side of the intersection when it turned red and thinking, "Whew, that was closer than usual" but that I was ok. Then I saw the flash, and I thought, "What? I am almost OUT of the intersection already. Why did it flash?"

After almost a month waiting to see if they were going to send something, I got the ticket today. The picture (albeit hard to make out) shows the left turn light as red. Sounds crazy, but I didn't believe my eyes because I remember the incident so specifically and vividly. Swear to God, I don't run red lights. Even yellow I try to keep to a minimum.

Regardless of light color, the ticket also states I was going 48mph at the time. How is this possible? Could the camera have had a malfunction? And does this nullify the entire ticket if I go fight it in court?

I'm a responsible, honest, tax-paying citizen of Scottsdale, and if I had really run a red light, I'd admit fault and pay. But I don't believe it was red, and it's not possible to be going 48 while turning (especially with someone in front of me).

Advice or thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
If you feel you're right, then go and present your case to the court.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks Bill.
To clarify, my questions are:

Does anyone understand how the speed part of the camera system works in an interection, and is my ticket truely a malfunction?

If it is a malfunction, is having this enough to throw out the ticket?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Tell it to the judge. Sounds like you gunned it to make the yellow. You didn't. Man up as Sarah would say.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 PM

88 posts, read 273,176 times
Can you turn left going 48 MPH? Depends on what you're driving and your ability as a driver. Most SUV's, no. Most sports cars, yes. Can I turn left going 48 MPH? Not in the econobox I'm driving!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaeffie View Post
Thanks Bill.

Does anyone understand how the speed part of the camera system works in an interection, and is my ticket truely a malfunction?

Thanks.
Most cameras I've seen measure your speed by a series of wires/cables that are beneath the ground, they measure the time it takes your vehicle to cross over one - to another and gauge your speed that way. If you feel you have a case ( and it you might ), fight it.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 PM

You guys are so literal. I couldn't possibly go 48 while turning when there is clearly a line of cars in front of me and "gunning it" would have caused me to rear end the car in front of me. I'm trying to find someone out there with expertise or experience with Redflex tickets.

Another strange twist: in the picture, the lights are solid, red circles. In real life, both lights in the picture are red arrows. I went back to the intersection to check.

Could Redflex be forging tickets? Hmmmm

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Not unless you want a ticket. I've lived two miles from Scottsdale-Shea for eight years. Guess what? No. You were busted and will be charged accordingly.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
You guys are so literal. I couldn't possibly go 48 while turning when there is clearly a line of cars in front of me and "gunning it" would have caused me to rear end the car in front of me. I'm trying to find someone out there with expertise or experience with Redflex tickets.

Another strange twist: in the picture, the lights are solid, red circles. In real life, both lights in the picture are red arrows. I went back to the intersection to check.

Could Redflex be forging tickets? Hmmmm
And there are no redflex at Scottsdale and Shea. I ought to know, since I've been here eight years. There is a green arrow, then yellow, then red. You really need to spend more time in this area to get with the program.

If you want to turn left on a green at that intersection, be sure you're in the middle. Then you can get away with it. But as far as speeding through a 40 mph intersection like Scottsdale and Shea, forget it.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
Thanks Bill.

Thanks.
If your not passed the embedded line before red you get flashed. Unless it was a true malfunction you ran a red light. Zero chance you win. I would go to traffic school if available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area