Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered this since I was a kid, why in Scottsdale do they have the left-turn arrow AFTER the regular green light?

This seems to confused MANY drivers, since typically most pull out into the intersection when it's a green light, and then the light turns red for 3-5 seconds before the arrow comes on, many people seem to "freak out" when this occurs.

So I ask, why does Scottsdale do this?

For once I am not complaining, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,865 times
Who cares?

It's the yellow flashing arrows that freak me out.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Who cares?

It's the yellow flashing arrows that freak me out.
Obviously I do.

Yellow flashing means slow down, that's simple.

Edited for Niceness.

Last edited by KarmaPhx; 07-10-2009 at 04:50 AM..

Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Obviously I do, retard.

Yellow flashing means slow down, that's simple.
To provide a continuous flow of traffic. If you have a green turn arrow then you don't stop but keep moving. Thank god I've never had to deal with a confused driver at a green light. Don't think I'd drive near them for long in case they also forgot red means stop.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
To provide a continuous flow of traffic. If you have a green turn arrow then you don't stop but keep moving. Thank god I've never had to deal with a confused driver at a green light. Don't think I'd drive near them for long in case they also forgot red means stop.
The same could be said for the phoenix lights though, and in my opinion having the arrow first makes the most sense.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
The same could be said for the phoenix lights though, and in my opinion having the arrow first makes the most sense.
Which lights? I'm not sure what all the confusion is about. You got to move it, move it....MOVE IT... when light turns or is green. Sorry, just heard that song on a commercial and time for bed, getting delirious...LOL!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 AM

I am talking about the left-turn arrows, not just the green light, the actual arrow to turn.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
They have had the lagging left turn arrows for several years- - based on studies that indicated that those are safer, with fewer left turn accidents, and improve traffic flow. I've encountered them in other places, too, but I think they are still the only city in the Valley with them. I think other cities in the Valley have considered them; perhaps there are studes going both ways, like there are on so many issues.

I actually do like them, and am used to the fact that when I am in Scottsdale, the rules will be different.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I am talking about the left-turn arrows, not just the green light, the actual arrow to turn.
So is a green left-turn arrow, less green in comparison to the green light and thus a right-turn arrow even less green than that??? They look the same color to me so I usually drive through the light like I would any green light. Is there an extra step one must take when going through a green arrow that doesn't exist for just a green light? Is ADOT, Phoenix Streets and Transportation Department/Scottsdale Streets and Transportation trying to confuse us? Are we NOT supposed to drive through a green left-turn arrow? I get it Simon didn't say...it's all clear now...LOL, I am just having fun with this thread and I couldn't sleep and only an hour until I start my tortillas for breakfast...ugh! Let me start the coffee!

Um yeah, Scottsdale is the only city with the totally hip, delayed green-turn arrow; I mean like, heeeelllooooooooo! It's totally exclusive and like costs a fortune to program the lights to work that way. Sooo kewl!

LOL, its the sleep depravation and coffee talking! Plus I can totally picture a Scottsdale femme fatale saying that! LOL

Last edited by fcorrales80; 07-10-2009 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-10-2009, 08:01 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
"They have had the lagging left turn arrows for several years- - based on studies that indicated that those are safer, with fewer left turn accidents, and improve traffic flow. I've encountered them in other places, too, but I think they are still the only city in the Valley with them. I think other cities in the Valley have considered them; perhaps there are studes going both ways, like there are on so many issues."

Avondale used them, I think. Not sure if they still do.
Tucson has lagging left-turn arrows. In my opinion, traffic moves through the intersections much more efficiently. First, the straight-ahead traffic (which is the majority of traffic) doesn't have to wait for a handful of left-turn cars. Second, in most situations, the left-turn cars don't have to wait for a green-arrow, because the straight-ahead traffic generally clears before the arrow is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area