Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times

Advertisements

Having driven from Coast to Coast over the years, I'm convinced those "Unofficial Pace Cars" are just about everywhere and are a menace.

The best solution to avoid excess stress and aggravation is to never drive in the left lane and leave it open for the "poopers"!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM

584 posts, read 1,341,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need_some_sun View Post
We are moving the end of march to the sw valley from Minneapolis. My husband wants to know if people are generally aggressive and fast? Here In Minneapolis drivers like ti sit in the left lane and never move over fir faster cars. Does this happen there, hopefully not like here.
In general.........I would say people here drive a little fast but not aggressive like some other places like Dallas or LA. They normally do about 10 MPH above speed limit. I always follow the speed limit but never get any negative attitude, and of course i am in the right lane

I moved here to Goodyear not too long ago and am already in love the people here. Something you and your family will experience when living down here.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times
Snowbirds tend to be the major violators of this unwritten rule (driving slow in the left lane). I go as far to say that snowbirds are pretty oblivious to their surroundings and, at least in Surprise they do, cause a majority of the fatal accidents.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,478 times
My pet peeve is drivers who ignore speed limits and insist on putting their selfish need for speed ahead of my safety. I'd like to see speeders treated as though the were DUI, lots of points and time in jail for 2nd offense. No need to speed, to me, it's the height of anti-society behavior. It's really prevalent among the "Me Generation." You know those who think "it's all about me!"

Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
It is really bad. There was a thread in which one member admitted to being one of these slow left lane drivers. He or she simply did not understand the concept of etiquette and allowing faster drivers to pass on the left.

It doesn't matter if you are driving the speed limit, if someone wants to drive faster, you should allow them to pass. Most importantly that is the safe thing to do. Why would you try to possibly cause road rage in another drive and possible harm to yourself. There is no such thing as losing pride by switching lanes and allowing a faster driver to pass.

The drivers here are terrible because they are the least knowledgeable regarding traffic laws and etiquette. In L.A., the drivers are better; yes they are much more aggressive but at least people have enough sense to switch lanes to allow faster drivers to pass and they don't sit at traffic lights after they turn green.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,843,311 times
Maybe you all should move to Colorado; people drive like bats out of hell in the left lane...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

106 posts, read 361,821 times
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieWrecked View Post
The same can be said about those who drive slowly in the left lane, they are creating unneeded aggressiveness in other drivers, and they are the ones who should be jaild by your login.

You're not the king of the road, don't block the left lane if you don't plan on speeding, it's not your job to decide what speed the other drivers are going.
Agreed! Heck, sometimes left lane drivers drive under the speed limit. The worst is when you switch lanes to passen they speed up, won't let you pass, then slow down again.

Texting should be the thing you should be worried about over speeding.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM

537 posts, read 1,547,092 times
Your odds of having a head on collision are much greater in the left lane. When I do use the left lane I check my mirror on a regular basis for those tail gating and chomping at the bit to go faster. I get out of their way. I learned something useful in a driver's safety course I took. Always be looking for a place to go if something comes up, and leave room around your own car.....don't get boxed in. A safety zone. The most aggressive drivers I find are in north Scottsdale in the BMW's and Mercedes. It's all about me, me me, and get the hell out of my way!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Your odds of having a head on collision are much greater in the left lane. When I do use the left lane I check my mirror on a regular basis for those tail gating and chomping at the bit to go faster. I get out of their way. I learned something useful in a driver's safety course I took. Always be looking for a place to go if something comes up, and leave room around your own car.....don't get boxed in. A safety zone. The most aggressive drivers I find are in north Scottsdale in the BMW's and Mercedes. It's all about me, me me, and get the hell out of my way!

The danger is created by people having to switch lanes in traffic to get around slow drivers camped in the left lane. Very little danger in driving in a clear lane of traffic, it becomes dangerous when the maneuvering in and out of traffic starts.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,547,092 times
Read my post again. I'm not a slow driver and I yield to speeding fools every time. I have had oncoming drivers (especially at night) appear to be drifting out of their lanes and seemingly coming into mine. That's really scary. If my operating my vehicle in a somewhat legal fashion causes aggressiveness in you, then Oh well! That's on you. I have been driving for almost 50 years accident free. Otherwise, I might change my screen name to DesertspiritWrecked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area