Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 PM

52 posts, read 154,339 times

Advertisements

I am retirement.
I will go to Phoenix area for new home searching if my house sold. But not yet.
Which city is suitable for me?
Sun city or Scottsdale?
Sun city is low tax . Scottsdale south is sounds like more interesting. Price is not so expensive. I want to spend until 100k for my new home.
But there is no garage attached if low price property.
Do you hear car thief is there?
Which city is more safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 19,761 times
I live in South Scottsdale in a ranch-style house built in '59. It was reasonably priced, has a 2-car carport, which is typical for the area, nice yard, pool. Arizona does have extremely high auto-theft, but for the most part, I think your chances are more specific to the area you leave your car in, and what type of car it is. If you are smart about it, I think it cuts your changes dramatically. Look up crime stats for both Sun City and Scottsdale on this site and you'll see that most the auto theft happens elsewhere. Also, more and more of the houses in South Scottsdale have converted their carports to garages (we're going to do ours next year), so you might find one just for you.
Things I don't like about Scottsdale are few: high taxes, city leadership, and photo radar. The parks are nice, traffic is ok most the time, weather is great, spring training baseball, entertainment, and the people are nice.
Sun City is nice too, but has a completely different feel, so make sure you see both first.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I thought you wanted to live in the wide open spaces?

I agree with the above poster. They are both nice, but very different places. Most cars would be safe in your carport in south Scottsdale. If you want to be surrounded by other retirees, Sun City would be better. I'm not familiar with the prices, but you can do a search online on the homes for sale websites and see what comes up. You need to see both to really make a choice, as the above poster said.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 AM

52 posts, read 154,339 times
Thank you for response.
I might be Sun city is better to me. Tax is low and feels quieter than Scottsdale.
I will visit both city. My car is Toyota big size. I will change more small car after moving.

observer53 :
> the wide open spaces?
I still like. But I changed mind for gas charge and another reason. Someone mentioned some.

Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
Thank you for response.
I might be Sun city is better to me. Tax is low and feels quieter than Scottsdale.
I will visit both city. My car is Toyota big size. I will change more small car after moving.

observer53 :
> the wide open spaces?
I still like. But I changed mind for gas charge and another reason. Someone mentioned some.

Thanks again.
\

You are welcome. Good luck to you! I think you might like Sun City, but it's good to look at Scottsdale too. Looking forward to your reports after you visit!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Sun City is age-restricted and I'm pretty sure that ordinance is strictly enforced. It would probably be safer overall but I'd be bored there because there is little or no diversity. To each is own, depends on what you want.

Scottsdale is much larger, has more of a city feel but a good part of it is very superficial.

South part of Scottsdale is more middle-class and friendlier for seniors I believe, just stay away from old town or northern Scottsdale unless you're plastic and fake enough to mingle with the Barbies and Kens and the psuedo-millionaires.

Neither place is going to offer much in the way of open spaces I'm afraid.

Last edited by Java Jolt; 03-07-2011 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: add a thought

Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM

28 posts, read 70,244 times
My grandparents live in Westbrook, not quite in Sun City but right on the border. It's a beautiful area but can be ever so boring if you're under age 50! I concur about Scottsdale being more for the fashionista and elitist types.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsjacob View Post
I concur about Scottsdale being more for the fashionista and elitist types.
Maybe you are thinking of another place. South Scottsdale is a neighborhood of 50 year old block homes with carports. The people I know that live there do so to be close to their work.

Moderator cut: personal/unnecessary

Last edited by Kimballette; 03-19-2011 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: personal/unnecessary

Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM

13 posts, read 38,821 times
Sun city is cheaper and has older residents. There is a lot more to do in Scottsdale.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn321 View Post
Sun city is cheaper and has older residents. There is a lot more to do in Scottsdale.
Whether Sun City is cheaper than south Scottsdale may depend on exactly what type of housing you are comparing. The OP is retired, so having "older residents" may be just fine. And, Sun City has quite a few activities/amenities for the residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area