Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:43 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

The employees used fake identification papers to get these jobs. Ask yourself this, for all the anti-immigrant rhetoric proposed in this state, why have we not made it a law that forces all Arizona companies to use E-verify when hiring people. That would eliminate companies from hiring illegals with fake documents. Sorry but it's more hypocrisy from many in this state. Everyone wants to be aggressive about attacking illegal immigration (which I agree with) but people don't want to hold themselves accountable = total hypocrisy

If it were up to me, companies should be required to use E-verify to hire people and be prosecuted for failing to do so and/or hiring illegals. That would eliminate much of the illegal immigration problem in this state.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
P.F. Chang's uses E-Verify. I'm curious what more they could have done. They'd be begging for a lawsuit if they went much beyond the bare minimum federal requirement. What are they going to do? Tell a job applicant they don't look like an American for having a name like Bill Smith and kosher-looking documentation? We all know there are illegals working in lots of local businesses. I was just filling up at that Chevron on the corner of Northsight and Frank Lloyd Wright yesterday and watching all the illegals (positive most of them are) washing and detailing cars there. It's so obvious. What's the owner supposed to do if their docs check out? Call the cops and say he suspects they're illegals, but their docs look good? That's begging for a lawsuit.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,489 times
Maybe Arpaio could set up a clearing house for job applications to go through after E-Verify to have the final say on applicants. Are fingerprints done on low level jobs like these? Do employers care if thay can communicate with employees in English? I don't believe the politicians from either side of the aisle are trying to fix this. Who wants to pay higher prices for lunch at Pei Wei?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 PM

US DOJ has a lawsuit going on now against MCCC for retracting a job offer to a guy who couldn't produce his green card. I wonder if they'd go after private businesses for vetting their job applicants "too vigorously." My guess is E-Verify is just window dressing to make people think the gov't. is doing something and they'll go after anyone who wants to do more than take E-Verify's word for it on discrimination grounds.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41626.html

[mod cut-- post a link, not copyrighted material]

Last edited by Rick Lee; 03-06-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Did any white collar employers get a “free get out of jail card”?

No we don’t need undocumented unverified employees working in these restaurants, but the managers who hired them never get anything more than a hand slapped.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Did any white collar employers get a “free get out of jail card”?

No we don’t need undocumented unverified employees working in these restaurants, but the managers who hired them never get anything more than a hand slapped.
And how do you know the managers had any idea their employees were using stolen docs? I'd say having your restaurant closed down and all over the news is probably bad for business and some kind of punishment. I'd like to know if whoever did the hiring knew about the stolen docs. I wouldn't know how to tell if someone were an illegal if they handed me a DL and SS card that checked out with E-Verify.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
And how do you know the managers had any idea their employees were using stolen docs? I'd say having your restaurant closed down and all over the news is probably bad for business and some kind of punishment. I'd like to know if whoever did the hiring knew about the stolen docs. I wouldn't know how to tell if someone were an illegal if they handed me a DL and SS card that checked out with E-Verify.
I also wouldn’t know if ID’s were valid or not and know very little about the E-Verify system and how correct that information is. However the problem is I never hear of any businessmen going to jail for knowingly hiring workers,,,,, yet the workers are always taken off to jail. And on another side of the issue, just because you’re arrested doesn’t make you guilty of a crime. A person simply may not have ID or papers with them while working. It will be interesting to know what happens in the courtroom with some of the workers.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The employees used fake identification papers to get these jobs. Ask yourself this, for all the anti-immigrant rhetoric proposed in this state, why have we not made it a law that forces all Arizona companies to use E-verify when hiring people. That would eliminate companies from hiring illegals with fake documents. Sorry but it's more hypocrisy from many in this state. Everyone wants to be aggressive about attacking illegal immigration (which I agree with) but people don't want to hold themselves accountable = total hypocrisy

If it were up to me, companies should be required to use E-verify to hire people and be prosecuted for failing to do so and/or hiring illegals. That would eliminate much of the illegal immigration problem in this state.
Because "employers are stealing your jobs" does not have a good ring to it. I mention this all the time when I hear someone complain about Mexicans.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I also wouldn’t know if ID’s were valid or not and know very little about the E-Verify system and how correct that information is. However the problem is I never hear of any businessmen going to jail for knowingly hiring workers,,,,, yet the workers are always taken off to jail. And on another side of the issue, just because you’re arrested doesn’t make you guilty of a crime. A person simply may not have ID or papers with them while working. It will be interesting to know what happens in the courtroom with some of the workers.
The problem here is that E-Verify covers an employer's butt. Absent any other evidence he knows his employees are using bogus docs, he's risking a lawsuit by not accepting it when E-Verify says the docs check out. Of course, E-Verify can't tell anyone whether the docs are stolen from someone else, if it's not been previously reported and cross-referenced with E-Verify. Conversely, it's never legal to work here without proper docs. So if an employee can't produce it, it doesn't matter if he had it and the dog ate it. He can't work here. My wife is a green card holder and you can bet she had to produce it when PF Chang's hired her. In fact, when I heard MCSO deputies were at her office Friday, I jumped in the car and ran her passport and green card over to her. Doesn't matter that she has it at home in my safe. She's required by law to have it on her outside the home.

And since anyone using bogus docs to get a job knows 100% they are using bogus docs, I have a lot less sympathy for them getting arrested on the spot than I do for employers who very well may have no idea the docs they were handed are bogus and/or stolen.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
P.F. Chang's uses E-Verify. I'm curious what more they could have done. They'd be begging for a lawsuit if they went much beyond the bare minimum federal requirement. What are they going to do? Tell a job applicant they don't look like an American for having a name like Bill Smith and kosher-looking documentation? We all know there are illegals working in lots of local businesses. I was just filling up at that Chevron on the corner of Northsight and Frank Lloyd Wright yesterday and watching all the illegals (positive most of them are) washing and detailing cars there. It's so obvious. What's the owner supposed to do if their docs check out? Call the cops and say he suspects they're illegals, but their docs look good? That's begging for a lawsuit.
You make a good point. E-verify is at best a stopgap. We put the burden on employers and then don't give them the tools to do the job properly. What is needed - and opposed by the very groups who complain most loudly about illegals - is a biometric national ID. Put the card in the slot, finger on the pad and it is verified instantly. Some see this as intrusion on their sense of liberty. I think that it is something that we just have to live with in this day and age, as unfortunate as that may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: