Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,243,298 times

Advertisements

Yeah - I don't see this idea as being all that radical ..... there are churches of all stripes out here

You do have the large mega-churches and then the mini-mega churches ..... you also have the offshoot local chapters of the mega churches

Then you go beyond that and you still have many more that operate out of schools, strip malls, etc

Doesn't mean you can't find your place in the landscape - but don't be shocked if there is someone down the street doing something very similar

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
A good preacher won't pull down the kind of money in Phoenix that they would in Dallas. But neither would those in most professions.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:20 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
I agree that Gilbert is probably not a good fit, and probably Chandler neither.
For the age group you state, then probably Tempe, Scottsdale, or the north Phoenix area around Shea in 85254 (Scottsdale address in Phoenix zip code 85254)

But that is only a "guess" on my part.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM

10 posts, read 16,318 times
Thanks to all for the replies... Misty I sent you a message...

DixieWrecked, if you see someone on the highway with a sign that says "Turn or Burn" you know we have arrived.... KIDDING! Have no desire to create more craziness, trust us.

Radical, or not... etc... bad description... try much more friendly to a growing 24-32 demographic... (which is the largest in Phoenix out of any US city)...

Again, appreciate the help.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM

162 posts, read 431,301 times
hmm, now I just had a thought about this demographic of yours. So what happens to your church when the 24-32s grow up? (let's see, that would take exactly 8 years to grow up from 24 past 32).

Seems to me that a healthy church is BALANCED. why do we need churches for different age ranges? that's NUTS! In my culture, most people don't put their parents in a nursing home when they get old... you usually have at least 3 generations under the same roof, if not 4. you have babies, toddlers, youngsters, adolescents, teenagers, young people, old people and really old people all together interracting, learning to respect each other. I think this idea about having a special church for an age group is from man. I see ZERO biblical precedents for this. Why would you do it?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM

162 posts, read 431,301 times
haha.... I can just imagine the apostle Paul on his missionary journey: "Folks, we're here to target the 24-32 year olds in your city because they're the most numerous and the rest of you are too young or too stubborn to bother with anyway"

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeChurch View Post
Thanks to all for the replies... Misty I sent you a message...

DixieWrecked, if you see someone on the highway with a sign that says "Turn or Burn" you know we have arrived.... KIDDING! Have no desire to create more craziness, trust us.

Radical, or not... etc... bad description... try much more friendly to a growing 24-32 demographic... (which is the largest in Phoenix out of any US city)...

Again, appreciate the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
hmm, now I just had a thought about this demographic of yours. So what happens to your church when the 24-32s grow up? (let's see, that would take exactly 8 years to grow up from 24 past 32).

Seems to me that a healthy church is BALANCED. why do we need churches for different age ranges? that's NUTS! In my culture, most people don't put their parents in a nursing home when they get old... you usually have at least 3 generations under the same roof, if not 4. you have babies, toddlers, youngsters, adolescents, teenagers, young people, old people and really old people all together interracting, learning to respect each other. I think this idea about having a special church for an age group is from man. I see ZERO biblical precedents for this. Why would you do it?
Quote:
haha.... I can just imagine the apostle Paul on his missionary journey: "Folks, we're here to target the 24-32 year olds in your city because they're the most numerous and the rest of you are too young or too stubborn to bother with anyway"

I agree with greendesert. It's a much richer experience to have a worship community with a wide age range. The narrow target demographic you mention repeatedly is concerning. My church is very involved with the ASU community, and one of the things the students and graduate students appreciate MOST about being a part of our church is that we do have a wide age range, from the students, young families and singles to a few members in their 90's. I've been involved with this church since I WAS a college student, and I appreciate the same thing. Do 24-32 year old professionals really want to be in a church with only people just like them? And, as greendesert will they stay after they are no longer in your target demographic? Is that even what you are looking for, or do you envision catering to some sort of fluid group of "yuppies" that changes all the time and moves in and out, and never establishes any kind of sense of community outside of Sunday morning?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly with this! Church marketing goes in cycles and trends, sadly, much like it does for cornflakes and toothpaste. Mega-churches were all the rage a few years ago, and now it's "edgy" worship designed to attract a "hip" crowd. I prefer my faith to be more basic and unfettered by marketing angles. A wide variety of ages, backgrounds, and experiences are what I think encourages a vibrant faith community. I'm also far more interested in faith-based ministries like Misty discussed, rather than the decor or demographics of a church. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 16,318 times
Quote:
Guys thanks for your comments and input. As we stated before, our target demographic is more a "description" than a limitation. Our culture will be most appealing to that demographic, but not limited to it and I am sure our reach will go beyond that.

Moderator cut: personal attackIf you read the book of Acts, 90% of Pauls missionary trips, speaking engagements in synagogues, and outreach in ministry was to Jews. He was a converted Jew and states over and over that he set out to reach the Jews because they were just like him. He even got in a fight with Peter about reaching out to the Jews vs. the Gentiles. Paul still preached to the Gentiles (book of Romans) but everything else was primarily aimed at Jews. Even when he was in Rome, the first thing Paul did was preach in the synagogue and call on the Jewish leadership. Paul didn't limit himself, but definitely stated who he was most passionate about, Romans 2:10, "...First for the Jew, then for the Gentile." So in essence, the apostle Paul stated exactly what your quote pokes fun at. He set out to reach the Jews, and reached a bunch of Gentiles too. We have set out to reach a younger demographic, but will reach a much older demographic too.

Last edited by Kimballette; 03-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: personal attack - not permitted on City-Data

Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
O/P appears to have received the information requested. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area