Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,006,380 times

Advertisements

At some point maybe I will be able to share the name of this company (if the mods say it's ok and it's clear I've been scammed), but I just want to put out a PSA to thoroughly check out any new pool service you might be considering.

I had a guy who used to require payment up front for the month who just happened to be honest and never had a problem with it. So when I came across this other company offering one month free with the service and was told I had to pay a month in advance, I didn't bat an eyelash. The guy seemed presentable, had business cards, etc, etc. He did do work that day and a good job. However, upon looking up his website off his invoice it doesn't exist. Turns out his business address is nothing more than a mail box at some postal store.

Today was pool day and he's been a no show despite my leaving him a message asking him when he'd be here. So I'll wait until it's dark and call again and ask for my money back. If I don't get it, I know where to go and what to do starting with the AZ BBB.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Consumer complaints are not permitted under the TOS, so you would not be permitted to disclose the name of the service. Buyer beware is always good general advice, though, thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Ok, then I cannot divulge the name to protect others, but same message. Ask for all info BEFORE handing over a dime and go on the Net before even hiring them. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
You CAN rate the company on Yelp San Francisco Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

You can even do so anonymously and people do read Yelp and often will research companies on Yelp before using them. Yelp is far busier than Kudzu. Kudzu has a lot of abuse and owners of the companies will rate themselves because Kudzu doesn't monitor IP addresses. Yelp is good about monitoring for that type of thing so that an owner can't flood his own business with multiple positive reviews.

Going back to the topic, one piece of advice before hiring a pool company is to make certain they leave a receipt every time they come to service your pool. This way, if they skip, you will know. The bad ones refuse to leave a receipt or proof that they came and will often skip and never get caught.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You CAN rate the company on Yelp San Francisco Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

You can even do so anonymously and people do read Yelp and often will research companies on Yelp before using them. Yelp is far busier than Kudzu. Kudzu has a lot of abuse and owners of the companies will rate themselves because Kudzu doesn't monitor IP addresses. Yelp is good about monitoring for that type of thing so that an owner can't flood his own business with multiple positive reviews.

Going back to the topic, one piece of advice before hiring a pool company is to make certain they leave a receipt every time they come to service your pool. This way, if they skip, you will know. The bad ones refuse to leave a receipt or proof that they came and will often skip and never get caught.
Thanks, Yelp is a good idea, but there is always rip-off report, complaints board, p*&ssed off consumer, etc. One thing is for sure. He'll come up in a google search.

I did get a receipt but that means nothing. I am sure that this type of scamster is thinking....hmmm, so I do half an hour work, charge between 70 and 90 dollars for it and who is going to follow up for 75% of that?

I mean, clearly small claims is out of the question, so all I can do is ruin his reputation, which actually may be better than getting my money back - at least for others.

Of course then, all he has to do is print new business cards, new invoices, make up a fake website, get a new po box, change his phone number for $20 and he's off and running to the next scam. And this is assuming he ever used his real name in the first place.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,166,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Ok, then I cannot divulge the name to protect others.
Actually, it's part of the Terms of Service every person who joins City-Data agrees to abide by.
This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Thanks, Yelp is a good idea, but there is always rip-off report, complaints board, p*&ssed off consumer, etc. One thing is for sure. He'll come up in a google search.
Yeah, do all of that plus file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. When you file with BBB, they give you 2 options. They can serve as an intermediary to resolve your issues or you can post information that they can keep on file. Choose the latter. They might have an A+ rating but people can see that a complaint was filed against them which raises red flags regardless of their grade.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM

There is one last thing you can do. You can contact Gary Harper on 3TV. He is in charge of consumer protection and exposing scams in the Valley. You can e-mail him with your story and see if they want to investigate. Your story sounds promising. They might do it. They could call his service and see if they do the same thing to him. The only thing is you have to agree to be on television.

3 On Your Side | azfamily.com Phoenix

Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, do all of that plus file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. When you file with BBB, they give you 2 options. They can serve as an intermediary to resolve your issues or you can post information that they can keep on file. Choose the latter. They might have an A+ rating but people can see that a complaint was filed against them which raises red flags regardless of their grade.
I already checked both his name and company name out on the BBB and nothing out there. I tell ya, I really let my guard down on this one. I guess it's because he came with such a nice, presentable "pool" appearance and immediately handed me two business cards. Then he was so fast and did such a great job on my pool I didn't think twice.

HOWEVER, and here is where I should have paid attention to my inner voice, I did look for his website on Saturday (day after I'd given him the check but in the p.m.). I did *67 his phone number to see how or who would answer and it was the same him with same business name so I feigned a wrong number. I have checked out the number and it's a landline, so I don't know what that means.

Bottom line, caveat emptor. Oh, and thanks for the tip. I shall choose the latter. Still, I have a feeling he'll be on to the next scam very soon.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
There is one last thing you can do. You can contact Gary Harper on 3TV. He is in charge of consumer protection and exposing scams in the Valley. You can e-mail him with your story and see if they want to investigate. Your story sounds promising. They might do it. They could call his service and see if they do the same thing to him. The only thing is you have to agree to be on television.

3 On Your Side | azfamily.com Phoenix
Gosh, I'd do it, but don't want to be on TV. I will email him and he can investigate and maybe someone else can report on it in lieu of me. Thanks, that is a great idea.

I mean, I consider myself to be fairly suspicious and guarded. Just think of all the people who live here (I'm thinking little old ladies without Internet access who think "but he looked like such a nice young man...) to rip off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area