Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM

91 posts, read 323,547 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying a plex in phoenix. We will live in one unit (pt only) and rent out the other(s). What neighborhoods would you recommend?

Our neighborhood criteria are:
1) We need to be within 45 minutes of Anthem. And within 45 minutes of Mesa.
2) We do not want to pay HOAs
3) Not gang or drug infested.
4) We need to feel safe walking around in morning or at night.
5) Inexpensive as possible

Can you please respond with suggested neighborhoods, including your description/take on said neighborhoods - what is good and not so good about them. And, roughly where are said neighborhoods located. Anywhere in phoenix metro area, including surrounding cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 PM

91 posts, read 323,547 times
I should add - I am particularly interested in learning about any clean/safe/inexpensive areas around the downtown area.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:11 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
I'm not sure it's going to be possible to meet your requirement of being within 45 minutes of both Anthem and Mesa. Especially if you mean central or east Mesa (Mesa is a pretty big place, you know).

I guess downtown Phoenix would be kinda in the middle but it won't be cheap. Unless it's in an unsafe neighborhood. North Phoenix might also be a possibility, but define what you mean by "inexpensive."

One more thought: duplex's are not too common here. Especially in the newer, better neighborhoods.

Between your location requirements and the desire for a duplex, I'd say your basic real estate search is deeply flawed.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not sure it's going to be possible to meet your requirement of being within 45 minutes of both Anthem and Mesa. Especially if you mean central or east Mesa (Mesa is a pretty big place, you know).

I guess downtown Phoenix would be kinda in the middle but it won't be cheap. Unless it's in an unsafe neighborhood. North Phoenix might also be a possibility, but define what you mean by "inexpensive."

One more thought: duplex's are not too common here. Especially in the newer, better neighborhoods.

Between your location requirements and the desire for a duplex, I'd say your basic real estate search is deeply flawed.
EXACTLY! Affordable in the NoVa market is 400,000, The Bay area 600,000--here we are in uncharted waters. You would probably be able to just buy two houses next door to each other, and definitely condominiums at a low price before you could find a Duplex. It's not Queens or Philadelphia by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,559 times
I am not sure about safety. All bets are off on that one. For safety I would say Gilbert per se. Crime rate is lowest in Gilbert. Or a very high end housing area with absolutely no section 8.

I lived in section 8 neighborhoods half my life, so I know how they destroy values and how the drugs were flowing. Coast to coast.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
Um, Gilbert is no where near 45 minutes from Anthem. I think North Scottsdale would be in the ballpark. North of the 101 and around Tatum Rd. No duplexes there either , though. If I were you, I would re think this plan.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,099 times
Moon Valley or on the West side of the Scottsdale airport? Older more established areas with good schools.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Moon Valley or on the West side of the Scottsdale airport? Older more established areas with good schools.
But no duplexes in that part of Scottsdale. The duplex part of the picture is going to be the most difficult to find in areas that meet the other criteria. Like PhxBarb, I think you may need to rethink this one. Two condos in the same complex? Perhaps, as khuntrevor suggests. But a duplex, probably not.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 12,090 times
Default Check out 85021

Affordable Central Phoenix neighborhood, featuring solidly built modest ranch homes. Good schools (Sunnyslope and Washington H.S.) CONVENIENT!!!! Close to I-17 and SR51, handy 15-minutes to Sky Harbor, parts of the area have gentrified some, others are ripe for it. Check out a rectangle bordered between 7th Avenue and 19th Avenue between Dunlap and Bethany. Light Rail station at 19th Avenue and Montebello scheduled to continue north to Peoria with stations at major intersections will keep this long-ignored part of the city well connected to downtown.

Don't rely solely on the naysayers that only recommend the east valley. Your buck goes farther here, and most of the homes range between 1,500 and 2,000 square feet with nice lots and shade trees.

As a long time resident I would encourage you to take a Sunday drive through these neighborhoods, zig-zagging through the interior. When you're ready, find a good realtor who specializes in Central Phoenix. Don't let anybody sell this area short. Check it out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area