Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,564 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Gilbert, AZ. We have adopted kids that are Asian. In MN, that's no big deal. It's quite common in fact. I am wanting to be sure that if we move our family, the kids will be well received and treated well. Are there many adoptive families in the area? How are mixed race families perceived?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,051 times
It's no big deal at all.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,312,051 times
I would recommend Chandler over Gilbert in your case. Like Gilbert, Chandler is an upscale community and is larger. Chandler has the highest percentage of Asians of any city in Arizona. Chandler is the 4th largest city in Arizona and nearly 10% of it is Asian and in some communities like Ocotillo, it's perceived to be higher. Chandler borders Gilbert and also has excellent schools. Gilbert is not known in particular to be racially diverse and that is certainly the impression that I've received. The city is also fairly conservative and is perceived by many to be a Mormon town due to it's large Mormon population and Mormon members on their city council which endorses conservative legislation. Chandler on the other hand has a Hindu temple, Buddhist temple, a Mosque and several Chinese Christian churches.

Nonetheless, I think your family will be fine in Gilbert. I've never detected any sense or form of racism there...not in the slightest. It is a very nice community but I think you would be happier in Chandler.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,880,463 times
Actually, the east valley (specifically Chandler, Gilbert, tempe and Mesa) is tge fastest growing Asian community in the country. You and your children will be most welcome and comfortable here. You will find many of the churches have outdoor signage in English AND Chinese, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, etc. You will find large Asian populations and businesses that serve those populations, while still welcoming those of us who are not Asian.

Your children will find it easy to continue to learn about the culture of the country of their birth, or simply be a naturalized American.

In regard to this specific situation, I do not agree that Chandler is better than Gilbert, or visa-versa. And think you and your kids would feel equally comfortable in ANY part if the east valley or the Valley of the Sun.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,564 times
Thanks so much, everyone! My husband has a possible job opportunity in the area and the happiness and comfort of our kids is our #1 priority. I really appreciate your input.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 AM

12 posts, read 19,241 times
We just moved here from Virginia. People friendly and down to earth. Have not seen anything that would make you feel uneasy. Everyone seems very comfortable with race diversity which I am happy to say I've seen a fair amount of.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,051 times
You'll probably want to choose the city and community that has the type home that's best suited for your life style and budget, that has good schools, and that's within a reasonable commute distance to work.

I like to suggest to all my clients that as they narrow down the communities, and a home within a community, that they drive around it during the day, and again at night to get a good feel for the community as a whole.

After seeing a few communities within a city, judging the community to see if it's right for you becomes faster. Soon you can just drive down the street and almost instantly give a thumbs up or down on the community.

As the choices get narrowed down further, then knock on a couple of neighbors doors. Let them know you're interested in buying the home in question and ask them to tell you about the community. People are usually more than happy to tell you about their community, and happy to see someone buying a home on their block.

After the ice is broken and the person is volunteering a lot of community information you can begin to ask some of the questions you have about the community, the neighbors, how many children the age of yours, etc., and they'll usually answer them all.

Knock on more than one door so you get more than one opinion on the community.

It does work, and that way you'll get a really good feel for the community and the people within the community.

When you move in, or shortly before, go knock on more neighbors doors in the block and introduce yourself as the new neighbor. People like that and you'll make friends in the community much faster that way. Then get involved in the community in some way. Ask the neighbors what activities the community has that you can become involved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area