Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 AM

500 posts, read 843,948 times

Advertisements

I am considering a trip to Phoenix to check out the place as potential location to move to, from LA....am I in for a major culture shock?

For example, it was a shock to move to San Diego or San Francisco from LA for me--there was just that drastic difference.
I had stayed in Albuquerque before as well... definitely felt like a very small and quiet place compared to LA.
Not to mention the shock from moving to NYC.
Now my asthma is getting the best of me and I am afraid I will be forced to leave LA and move, and I want to mentally prepare for the trip to Phoenix... What will surprise me as being quite different from LA?--if anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 AM

19,466 posts, read 27,995,188 times
If your asthma is allergy related, Phoenix may not solve the problem for you. Our pollen counts are quite high and cause many people to be miserable during certain times of year.

That said, yes, I think Phoenix will be a major culture shock to you in many, many ways. Have you considered Chicago or Boston?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,908,180 times
If you think theres a drastic difference between LA and SD or SF, then you should probably never leave LA.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,056,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If your asthma is allergy related, Phoenix may not solve the problem for you. Our pollen counts are quite high and cause many people to be miserable during certain times of year.

That said, yes, I think Phoenix will be a major culture shock to you in many, many ways. Have you considered Chicago or Boston?

Correct. If the pollen is bothering you in LA then the Phoenix valley will offer no help.

If you have good credit you might be able to purchase a home cheaper in the valley. Rents are reasonalble too.

But as the old addage states the lawns are greener somewhere else. And the Phoenix valley has few lawns.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM

39,155 posts, read 51,447,655 times
Phoenix looks just like an eastern suburb of LA. We have all the same home builders here and they build all the same models of homes. Same chain stores and restaurants. Everywhere you go you see illegals working in the restaurants and on landscaping crews. Half the stations on the dial play salsa, and the rest play west coast Hip Hop with a couple country thrown in. Few attend church. The freeways are crowded with commuters and public transport sucks. Downtown is tiny compared to the size of the city. Rivers are dry and what water you do see is in canals. The sun shines relentlessly. There are mountains visible in the distance through the haze. It's Republican like Orange County is Republican. There is probably no place on the planet that LOOKS more like LA than Phoenix. The largest group of migrants to Phoenix come from southern California. If you can't live there, Phoenix is the closest analog you are going to find.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 5,395 times
As far as asthma Arizona is much better considering the dry heat, compared to LA (I lived in both places with Asthma, Phoenix is far better for us). Having moved from LA a few years ago, I thought I was in for a culture-shock myself. With all of the fabulous and diverse places to go everyday in LA (restaurants open 24 hours, shopping, beaches, lush green landscapes, etc, etc) the quality of life for the money in Phoenix is a huge improvement. I lived in many areas in LA from Brentwood to the San Gabriel Valley. Here in Phoenix we have beautiful homes with pools that are AFFORDABLE, no TRAFFIC compared to LA (are you kidding me!! the 405 at 3pm is a parking lot. I'd take Phoenix area freeways any day because at least you are moving over a shorter distance). Scottsdale has all the same shopping and fine dining experiences compared to any hip, trendy places in LA, just a smaller number of chose from. We have friendlier people (but less diversity). People don't focus as much on their outer appearance in Phoenix, or what you own and what you drive. And LA is just an hour-flight away, so if you need to visit family and friends it's a quick trip back home. I highly recommend you visiting!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
If you think theres a drastic difference between LA and SD or SF, then you should probably never leave LA.
Why shouldn't I leave in LA? I lived in almost all major US cities and Europe.
I don't attach any negative connotation to "culture shock"; I had moved to the US from Europe.

Last edited by xani; 05-13-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM

The thing is that pollens aren't bothering me at all... it is the chemical stuff in the LA air that's causing a problem--never had an allergy to pollen (or cats) before, but I do to chemicals. LA has lots of car exhaust stuff and stuff from oil refineries floating around... Also, it's pretty much superfund sites piled on top of each other, and turns out these chemicals float out of the ground and into the homes sitting on top.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteStyle View Post
As far as asthma Arizona is much better considering the dry heat, compared to LA (I lived in both places with Asthma, Phoenix is far better for us). Having moved from LA a few years ago, I thought I was in for a culture-shock myself. With all of the fabulous and diverse places to go everyday in LA (restaurants open 24 hours, shopping, beaches, lush green landscapes, etc, etc) the quality of life for the money in Phoenix is a huge improvement. I lived in many areas in LA from Brentwood to the San Gabriel Valley. Here in Phoenix we have beautiful homes with pools that are AFFORDABLE, no TRAFFIC compared to LA (are you kidding me!! the 405 at 3pm is a parking lot. I'd take Phoenix area freeways any day because at least you are moving over a shorter distance). Scottsdale has all the same shopping and fine dining experiences compared to any hip, trendy places in LA, just a smaller number of chose from. We have friendlier people (but less diversity). People don't focus as much on their outer appearance in Phoenix, or what you own and what you drive. And LA is just an hour-flight away, so if you need to visit family and friends it's a quick trip back home. I highly recommend you visiting!
I know someone's daughter had to move to Phoenix cause her asthma was too bad in LA... and she's doing fine in Phoenix. Yes, I heard a lot of good things about Phoenix. I'm into nightlife and I do know that Phoenix has options for me. I only had been to Tuscon so far and the city's landscaping looked beautiful. In LA, even a day time (no peak hour) trip to see real estate is a nightmare--cause of huge distances and constant trouble on freeway, accidents, lane closures.
Last place I lived was SF Bay area (no hope to afford a home there, ever for me)--and it was a huge contrast in terms of zero traffic compared to LA.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Phoenix looks just like an eastern suburb of LA. We have all the same home builders here and they build all the same models of homes. Same chain stores and restaurants. Everywhere you go you see illegals working in the restaurants and on landscaping crews. Half the stations on the dial play salsa, and the rest play west coast Hip Hop with a couple country thrown in. Few attend church. The freeways are crowded with commuters and public transport sucks. Downtown is tiny compared to the size of the city. Rivers are dry and what water you do see is in canals. The sun shines relentlessly. There are mountains visible in the distance through the haze. It's Republican like Orange County is Republican. There is probably no place on the planet that LOOKS more like LA than Phoenix. The largest group of migrants to Phoenix come from southern California. If you can't live there, Phoenix is the closest analog you are going to find.
Right now, Im staying in Orange County, so I guess it won't be a big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area