Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm actually very curious about this post, since I had similar thoughts myself several years ago. When it comes to things like the urban heat island nighttime temperatures problem (this one does concern me a lot), traffic, pollution, I would agree, I don't see how these things could possibly get any better as Phoenix continues to grow. Every city has these problems though... but does Phoenix have it worse?

I'm guessing the climax of Phoenix's liveability in your view was probably some time before I was born-- so I never got to experience "what it once was."
I am one who pines for the Phoenix of the 70s. The thing is I don't want it to be a big city. That's the problem for me. But I appreciate that many people find it much more livable now than back then. There are more freeways and getting around is easier. The air, believe it or not, is cleaner in some respects. When I came to Phoenix, there was a pollution advisory for carbon monoxide almost every day. There has not been one of those in many, many years as auto emissions controls have come on. Downtown is more livable than it has ever been and it is getting better quickly not worse like many cities. Every year brings more things to do and see from wave parks to malls to tony restaurants to new chains. Population growth for all its negatives does also attract these things.

Phoenix is a city still on the rise and other than more people and more congestion that brings, there is no doubt in my mind that it is getting to be better city to live in than it used to be. The newness, the freshness is palpable in this town. Phoenix is the new kid on the block. For someone young who is looking forward rather than back, looking for a city kind of life rather than a town in the country and who is stimulated by change and growth, it's pretty hard to beat what Phoenix will offer over the next 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,900 times
Phoenix isn't as nice as it was when I first moved to the Valley in the mid 80s.
I have always been concerned about the dependance on real estate speculation and the mindless non stop growth.
I am well traveled been many places - nevertheless - this is where I choose to live with no desire to go anywhere else.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Honestly Vegas, you shouldn't move here. I remember when you were a regular on this forum and you were pretty critical and couldn't wait to leave. You liked aspects of the Valley but you always liked other cities more. I don't think there is anything wrong with disliking Phoenix but Phoenix is not for everyone. You either like it or you don't. I don't think there is any middle ground. If you are the type of person that has any type of hesitation moving here then you shouldn't move here. Most of the people that move here can't wait to move and have no doubts in their mind. They are aware of our cons but have already accepted those and see the positives as far outweighing the negatives. You're from Denver. You have a job there. Your family is there. You love to ski. That's your scene. I'm not saying you hate Phoenix, I know you like many parts of it but living here....that's another issue, I don't think you want to go back down that road because you will regret your decision and then bash Phoenix on this forum again and curse yourself for moving here

Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,900 times
What has been lost is the unusual small town style joie de vivre that once typified the Valley.
We have become a homogenized inland version of Orange County.
But I still would not chose to live elsewhere.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,418,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Here's another thing: we easily get our wires crossed between a place that we remember fondly and a time in our lives that we remember fondly. Most people have fond memories of their college days. We're largely insulated from many of the civic concerns that preoccupy the larger consciousness of the cities those colleges are located in. But hankering for the halcyon days of college won't necessarily carry through to a work life in the valley with freeway logjams, high crime and outrageous utility bills.
This is rather insightful and good advice. I often find that I confuse a place with a time as well. However, I graduated over ten years ago and I can say with certainty that I don't long for my college time or place! But there are other times and places I still mix up. Regardless, this conversation makes me wonder if I should've taken some more chances on places to live when I was younger and single, especially since I absolutely LOVE the Western/SouthWestern US and there is no place in the US I would rather reside. It's defintiely tougher to move with a family, although it can certainly be done.

Striking that blance between risk taking careful planning can be difficult, but they do not have to be mutually exclusive. Even though I would prefer to live in a different place overall, I am constantly amazed by the opportunities that I continue to have here in WI. So even though you may be calculating a move back to Phoenix, be careful not to miss the opportunities you have in Denver while you are there!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,329,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Honestly Vegas, you shouldn't move here. I remember when you were a regular on this forum and you were pretty critical and couldn't wait to leave. You liked aspects of the Valley but you always liked other cities more. I don't think there is anything wrong with disliking Phoenix but Phoenix is not for everyone. You either like it or you don't. I don't think there is any middle ground. If you are the type of person that has any type of hesitation moving here then you shouldn't move here. Most of the people that move here can't wait to move and have no doubts in their mind. They are aware of our cons but have already accepted those and see the positives as far outweighing the negatives. You're from Denver. You have a job there. Your family is there. You love to ski. That's your scene. I'm not saying you hate Phoenix, I know you like many parts of it but living here....that's another issue, I don't think you want to go back down that road because you will regret your decision and then bash Phoenix on this forum again and curse yourself for moving here
Adaptation-- it's one of the greatest human traits.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,922 times
Quote:
Don't cha miss the G.O.T. lol

Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,270,753 times
I moved here, left for Seattle, Moved back, left for Boise, Moved back here a 6 weeks ago...wow am I glad to be back. Walk out of a movie theater in Denver (or seattle) at night, any night of the year BRRRRRR, walk out of a theater in the Valley...its just like you were a baby and your momma wraps you up in a nice warm blanket and gives you a kiss... Boise was probably the only other place worth moving to in my life, but after crashing my car (my fault) in the icy weather, and walking in the snow to get my kid to school, I rushed down here to reclaim my old life. Come on home boy. Don't be late for the party.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 PM

235 posts, read 756,688 times
I just was just in Denver, so nice, I love the Capitol hill area. To be honest though, Phoenix is almost the same as Denver, in terms of chain stores, sprawl,entertainment options (although I do think Denver has more to do) The real differences are the weather, and one has a vibrant downtown. Personally, I would pick Denver, a lot more to do outdoors, a drive to the rockies is a guaranteed epic experience. Sounds like the question to be asking is, whether you prefer a snowy winter, or 110 degree summers.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
That's ridiculous. It's one thing to adapt when you are forced to moving to a place such as someone moving for a job or family. In that situation, it's understandable. Your situation is different. You have a choice. You shouldn't move to a place to challenge yourself. This isn't Survivor. That's how malcontents on this forum are created. They move to Phoenix thinking it will grow on them despite having reservations and those people always regret moving here. Then those people become city data malcontents who complain about living here but can't sell their house. Don't become one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area