Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,398 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am moving from Omaha, NE to Phoenix where I will be working near the Deer Valley airport. I am a 30 year old, single guy relocating for my job with a friend.

I am looking for a 2 bedroom / 1-2 bath within 15-25 minutes driving distance to my work and walking / minimal bus ride to an area with restaurants and/or hotels for my cook friend without a vehicle.

I would like to stay around 650 - 850 a month and if possible, be close to an area where I can meet new people.

We will be arriving 5/29 and I am thinking about a weekly / monthly rent place while we find a 12-month lease, but ideally I would like to move in ASAP to cut down on that cost.

We are also going to buy new furniture so any place to buy nice, affordable, but nothing fancy would be appreciated. No milk crates haha.

Thoughts?

Also, what should I expect for the following?

Electricity - month & deposit
Water / sewer / trash - month & deposit
Vehicle registration - 2008 Mitsubishi

Any other surprises?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,329,926 times
I dont know about rentals in north phoenix but there are some weekly/monthly hotels along I-17 in north phoenix- you will see them as you drive up and down I-17

Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,379,640 times
Type in "deer valley airport phoenix arizona" on Google maps; once the map is up type in "apartments around deer valley airport." The map will show you at least 10. Your budget is do-able in that area. There's a Residence Inn near the airport where you can stay while you look. For furniture see IKEA near the intersection of I10 and Ray Road in Chandler. Utility prices are discussed in great depth on other threads of Phoenix City-Data. Arizona car registrations are based on how old your car is and how expensive it was to start with. Depends which Mitsubishi model you have. Arizona DMV is online, too.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM

19,470 posts, read 28,040,135 times
Your biggest challenge is going to be the requirement for public transportation. This is a HUGE problem, So be careful to consider the bus lines - and look at the schedules - before you commit to anything long term. If you can tolerate a slightly longer commute, you could look to find something near the end of the light rail line. But, if your friend is a chef and works late nights, getting home via public transit us a big problem.

You are smart to do a weekly or monthly rental before signing a longer lease. Negotiate that directly with one of the hotels along I-17. Don't book it online.

IMO your first priority would be to get your friend a cheap beater car for his commute. Relying on public transport in Phoenix is gonna make him miserable. Waiting for a bus in 115 degree heat is not an enjoyable experience. Hell - walking two blocks to the bus stop will be uncomfortable.

Good luck - and welcome to Phoenix!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,980,030 times
7th Street & Bell Road area has a large number of apartment complexes, near shopping, restaurants, groceries, fast foods, Target etc, on bus routes going in all directions. It’s about four miles from the Deer Valley Airport area.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,092,909 times
for a temp stay there is budget inn suites, extended stay america, budget suites, a couple others that will be below $200 a week for a hotel. I learned when moving here, they nearly all charge for 5 night rate for the week.
Traffic here sucks during morning and afternoon rush hours (afternoons usually a little worse), and learn the busy side streets, (study up on mapquest), they are much quicker at times depending on where you are going.
I guarantee there are over 100 complexes within 20 minutes of the airport, and most advertise specials closer to 500-600 for a 2 bedroom. IMO the only additional cost is electricity. Your bill gets kind of high when its 120+ and you have your AC on almost constantly. Id just drive around until you find an area you like then go in and see whats available. Most places seem to be a little empty now that the snowbirds left. Last check Clist, for places and search North Phoenix.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:12 PM

72 posts, read 137,844 times
My friend is to move to Greenway/Cave Creek area. He said that there are many good apartment complex around that area.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,585,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talich View Post
My friend is to move to Greenway/Cave Creek area. He said that there are many good apartment complex around that area.
Depends on what your friend means by "around" Cave Creek and Greenway, and what he means by "good". That's very much a hit and miss area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area