Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM

13 posts, read 29,856 times

Advertisements

Hey all
I see there are a lot of people being relocated to Arizona.

Anyhow, we're being transferred for my husbands job (based in Glendale)

I really love the amount of house you can get in Surprise. And I also found some really great ones in Goodyear - but I have a friend from Cave Creek who told me the Northwest Valley (in its entirety) is "Ghetto" and I shouldn't move there.

But, considering the location of my husbands job- I don't see anywhere else we can live other than the Northwest Valley.

Any suggestions/advice/guidance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,180,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirlAtHeart View Post
Hey all
I see there are a lot of people being relocated to Arizona.

Anyhow, we're being transferred for my husbands job (based in Glendale)

I really love the amount of house you can get in Surprise. And I also found some really great ones in Goodyear - but I have a friend from Cave Creek who told me the Northwest Valley (in its entirety) is "Ghetto" and I shouldn't move there.

But, considering the location of my husbands job- I don't see anywhere else we can live other than the Northwest Valley.

Any suggestions/advice/guidance?
Your friend in Cave Creek is completely incorrect. There are plenty of great areas in the NW valley. And there's nothing in the Phoenix area (NW or anywhere else) that could compare with "ghetto" in Chicago.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 PM

57 posts, read 181,491 times
Default ..

+1 Your friend is totally wrong. There are some less than awesome parts of the valley but I don't think that they could be more wrong in their assesment.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:55 PM

So, Surprise then is as nice as it seems? I mean because the houses I'm seeing online- holy moly- they are gorgeous!!

Are there things to do up there? I mean here in Chicago- I have a mall five minutes away- a movie theater around the corner, all the shopping I could ask for in the downtown area of my suburb... I have tons of restaurants, Whole Foods plus our regular grocery stores- Target and Walmart all also a five to ten minute drive from my house...

Do these suburbs have easy access to things? I mean, there are some suburbs out here that are pretty new as far as when the housing boom was at its height and then when the market tanked they are pretty much a group of gorgeous houses with nothing near them- and it's a twenty minute ride to the nearest grocery store.

Also- I know Surprise on the Map appears to only be two suburbs over from Glendale, but logistically is it doable to travel every day from Surprise to Glendale?

Thank you guys so much. I was having such a hard time marrying the information on Realtor.com and Zillow with what my friend was saying - I was like "I'm not seeing "ghetto" unless your definition of ghetto and mine are completely different"

Old 05-22-2011, 02:02 PM

11,522 posts, read 14,705,119 times
Most everywhere you live out here it will be a quick trip for groceries, post office, bank unless you are way out. And, the west valley is not ghetto. Total BS. Some people don't know what they're saying when words come out of their mouth.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM

584 posts, read 1,343,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirlAtHeart View Post
So, Surprise then is as nice as it seems? I mean because the houses I'm seeing online- holy moly- they are gorgeous!!

Are there things to do up there? I mean here in Chicago- I have a mall five minutes away- a movie theater around the corner, all the shopping I could ask for in the downtown area of my suburb... I have tons of restaurants, Whole Foods plus our regular grocery stores- Target and Walmart all also a five to ten minute drive from my house...

Do these suburbs have easy access to things? I mean, there are some suburbs out here that are pretty new as far as when the housing boom was at its height and then when the market tanked they are pretty much a group of gorgeous houses with nothing near them- and it's a twenty minute ride to the nearest grocery store.

Also- I know Surprise on the Map appears to only be two suburbs over from Glendale, but logistically is it doable to travel every day from Surprise to Glendale?

Thank you guys so much. I was having such a hard time marrying the information on Realtor.com and Zillow with what my friend was saying - I was like "I'm not seeing "ghetto" unless your definition of ghetto and mine are completely different"
Look into Goodyear.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,198,742 times
You need to search a few of the older threads as your question has appeared many times.

The Northwest Valley is fine and there are great spots in Surprise, Glendale, Peoria and Phoenix. Depending on where your husband is working you can estimate his commute.

I would recommend starting with the address of where he will be working and work my way out until you get too far. Keep in mind that Glendale is a large area. If he is going to be working north then look in the north area. If he is going to be working in S. Glendale look west.

While I like Surprise very much, if he is working in south or southeast Glendale the commute will be difficult (think about a commute from Aurora to Oak Lawn).

Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 PM

57 posts, read 181,491 times
Default exactly

I guess it really depends on where in Glendale. I had my heart set on Surprise when I bought our house but Goodyear offered a much better commute to downtown PHX.

Really I would find exactly where he will be and go from there.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM

98 posts, read 262,453 times
Your friend's mistaken. Surprise is an up and coming area. I'd get into Surprise BEFORE they start the massive business expansion off the 303 and Waddell (Prasada - Home). I expect home values to start creeping up once it's completed.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM

His company wants us IN surprise by January of 2012 (so roughly six months) - assuming we can sell our Chicago house that fast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area