Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 AM

57 posts, read 71,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
Trust me, crime is not just kept to one part of the city. It is random everywhere. I used to live in a so called "super low crime"part of town back in Ohio and I was a victim of a major crime.
I will not trust you on that because it is not random everywhere like it is in Phoenix at all! There is no other *city* in the civilised world that has pockets of bad neighbourhoods every 3-4 blocks scattered throughout.

I lived in a so-called *good* area where crystal-meth use, car theft and serial snipers were only moderate. Three blocks north were million dollar homes surrounded by ugly fortress walls, cacti, and ugly desert landscaping, while three blocks south was full-on criminal activity. It is like this throughout the metro area of Phoenix.

For two reasons, random crime is far more likely in Phoenix, and firstly because it is the 3rd highest city metro for crime in the US, and secondly because of these pockets means it is impossible to escape from it. If I drive for 40 minutes from one part of Phoenix to another, then I will go through many of them, but if I do the same in Atlanta, then I don't drive through any of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
Well all in all this stuff really doesnt matter anymore, because your not here anymore. Again, good luck to you.
It does matter, because if I can help people from making the mistake of their lives before moving to Phoenix, then I will! I would feel extremely guilty if I didn't, and it is what this forum is all about, and not inaccurately judging the character of the people that post here based on nothing.

Phoenix is the perfect example of the reason that a *city* (one massive suburb actually) should not be built in a desert. It has similar problems to New Orleans, and that city is the opposite reason that a city should not be built on swamplands below sea-level, surrounded by a massive lake and river.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sci1 View Post
I think liking the Phoenix area is a matter of personal tastes.
I totally agree! And as I have said many time, people that come from quality areas are going to hate it, while people coming from small town Idaho, the bad parts of LA, or Mexico are possibly going to love it!
Quote:
I didnt think I would like the scenery but i do, I love the combination of desert, mountains cactues and trees, yes my neighbors have lots of different trees, and the amount of things that bloom here amaze me more.
Trees? What bloody trees??? There are not any trees in Phoenix...it's a desert! Trees do not naturally grow in a desert environment, and the few trees in the area are the imported eucylptus from Australia and palms from Hawaii to give Phoenix the fake 'oasis' look that does nothing more than drain the precious resource of water.
Quote:
The fact that I can escape the heat by driving 1 1/2 hour north to go camping every weekend is awesome.
Part of living in a city is finding something to do within that city instead of escaping it every weekend in my opinion.
Quote:
Crime is important to me yes, andI chose to live in a safer area, but I have had crimes happen to me in towns that are suppose to be SAFE, my family has been victims to violent crimes as well as my bestfriend all in a safer metro area.
Oh for goodness sake, of course crime can occur anywhere, but what I don't understand is many people that post here fail to see the point that according to statistics, it is far more likely to experience crime in Phoenix than in all but three other cities in the US.
Quote:
I hate humidity so I had to leave the south. Good Luck Aussiegirl i am sure you will prefer where you are and I am glad you are happy now.
The humidity in Atlanta is high in summer, but of course, not a problem in other seasons. That said, the comfort level index which is a cross between temperature and humidity is still much lower in Atlanta than it is in Phoenix during the summer.

The humidity also adds moisture to the hair and skin while the skin damage rate in Phoenix is the highest in the US. Add Valley Fever and the extremely high pollution to the high crime stats, and the life expectancy in Phoenix must be quite low.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
I personally am an outdoor person so I would rather be camping with my family than hanging out in a club in the city. I come from quality, Portland Oregon. there are sage here, known to grow in desert conditions, Pala verde, mesquite, palo Brea, Desert Williow, Joshua tree and acacia. Mostof which are desert native, not just here but California desert as well as Mexico, my mom is a horticulturist so I get it from an expert. Just because it is a desert doesnt mean things do not grow, there are even oaises in the middle of deserts in Africa. Things find a way. I lived in humidity and while I did have wet skin my hair was always flat.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I personally am an outdoor person so I would rather be camping with my family than hanging out in a club in the city. I come from quality, Portland Oregon. there are sage here, known to grow in desert conditions, Pala verde, mesquite, palo Brea, Desert Williow, Joshua tree and acacia. Mostof which are desert native, not just here but California desert as well as Mexico, my mom is a horticulturist so I get it from an expert. Just because it is a desert doesnt mean things do not grow, there are even oaises in the middle of deserts in Africa. Things find a way. I lived in humidity and while I did have wet skin my hair was always flat.
Well that explains the minority that come from a quality city such as Portland that likes Phoenix. You are not a city person it seems and you don't want the attractions, entertainment and culture of urban life then, so no worries! If you would rather go camping each weekend, then the boring suburban lifestyle of Phoenix would suit you more than a city of course.

I still disagree though that trees grow in a desert environment, and the only trees in the Phoenix metro area are the imported trees that need watering. Shrubs and bushes may grow in the desert, but not trees. I have been to Africa, and I have not seen any oasis in the desert of that continent. Trees in Africa only grown in the wet areas.

Hair and skin is totally dry in Phoenix, while it is not in Atlanta at all. I have too much thick hair for it to go flat so I wouldn't know about that though.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
Well that explains the minority that come from a quality city such as Portland that likes Phoenix. You are not a city person it seems and you don't want the attractions, entertainment and culture of urban life then, so no worries! If you would rather go camping each weekend, then the boring suburban lifestyle of Phoenix would suit you more than a city of course.

I still disagree though that trees grow in a desert environment, and the only trees in the Phoenix metro area are the imported trees that need watering. Shrubs and bushes may grow in the desert, but not trees. Hair and skin is totally dry in Phoenix, while it is not in Atlanta at all. I have too much thick hair for it to go flat so I wouldn't know about that though.
It's funny when we came back from NC we noticed how the trees were dry and burned looking here. We never really noticed that before.

Yeah and I really have to take good care of my skin here in Phoenix because it does get very dry, I don't want premature aging

You crack me up AussieGirl, your post are hysterical. I can't say I haven't heard people say what you are saying before. I'm from NY and I didn't like it at all, so I did ok here in AZ, but it's time to fly.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:23 AM

Well you can disagree all you want to about the trees but it is a fact that trees grow in desert conditions just look on the internet, Deathvalley with temperatures reaching over 120 and with 1.85 inches of rainfall, have naturally growing trees, such as The Joshua tree, Coyote Willow, Cotton Wood, Mesquite, Smoke tree, juniper, the New Mexican Locust and thats in Death Valley. You dont like Phoenix and thats fine to each there own, not everyone will agree with you some will and thats ok too. I am actually finally following a long string of people I know that moved here, but I went to the SE first. I have very good moisturizer and wrinkle cream so I am good.

Last edited by Nea1; 09-27-2006 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Well you can disagree all you want to about the trees butitis a fact thattrees grow in desert conditions just look on the internet, Deathvalley with teprature reaching over 120 and with 1.85 inches of rainfall, have naturally growing trees, such as The Joshua tree, Coyote Willow, Cotton Wood, Mesquite, Smoke tree, juniper, the New Mexican Locust and thats in Death Valley. You dont like Phoenix and thats fine to each there own, not everyone will agree with you some will and thats ok too. I am actually finally following a long string of people I know that moved here, but I went to the SE first. I have very good moisturizer and wrinkle cream so I am good.
We have all different kinds of trees here, not those big lush green ones back east. I've been here a long time and really enjoyed it and a lot of people do. It's just time to do something different. I have to say I visited the Raleigh area and was not impressed in the least, I'd rather stay in Phoenix, but the Lake Norman area in Charlotte stole my heart

Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
We have all different kinds of trees here, not those big lush green ones back east. I've been here a long time and really enjoyed it and a lot of people do. It's just time to do something different. I have to say I visited the Raleigh area and was not impressed in the least, I'd rather stay in Phoenix, but the Lake Norman area in Charlotte stole my heart
Yea there are alot of trees here, beautiful in the fall, we didnt have alot of non evergreen trees in oregon, so it was a nice change, I dont like Raleigh I prefer Asheville area. I have been to AZ many times, different types of trees will be cool, I have seen so may different types, my mom is a horiculturist, might as well add to it!! Yea being in Oregon for 30 years I needed to do something different as well, then when we retire I am sure we will move on again.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 AM

113 posts, read 524,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
I will not trust you on that because it is not random everywhere like it is in Phoenix at all! There is no other *city* in the civilised world that has pockets of bad neighbourhoods every 3-4 blocks scattered throughout.
Random like in Phoenix. How is "random" anywhere different in phoenix than it is anywhere else?

Let me ask you this. How do you judge these so called bad neighboorhoods? Just by looking at them? How do you know soo much?

You also say there is nothing to do here. I have never had a problem with this one. Just what were you looking for that isnt here?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
It's funny when we came back from NC we noticed how the trees were dry and burned looking here. We never really noticed that before.
They definitely are! I've lived in Melbourne, Sydney, Seattle, Phoenix and now Atlanta, and Phoenix is the only *city* that the imported trees look like that.

I look out of my highrise condo here in Midtown Atlanta, and besides the cool buildings (which I'm sure will be decorated at Christmastime), I see trees! Heaps of them! Piedmont Park is full of them too and only a walk around the corner for me to get there!
Quote:
Yeah and I really have to take good care of my skin here in Phoenix because it does get very dry, I don't want premature aging
The sun and weather conditions actually age the skin more than years do, so that is a constant concern in the desert. I met many people that looked beyond their age there, so moisturise every day with a sunscreen!
Quote:
You crack me up AussieGirl, your post are hysterical. I can't say I haven't heard people say what you are saying before. I'm from NY and I didn't like it at all, so I did ok here in AZ, but it's time to fly.
I'm glad to hear that I'm entertaining! :-) I'm also smart, knowledgeable, and I have common sense and lateral thinking. I have only complained about Phoenix and nothing else, so to assume that I complain about other things was just an unsuccessful attempt to try to discredit my posts.

I was in Phoenix for close to 9 months, and I liked it for a week because I didn't know anything about it, and I always felt that I could discover something that I liked. It didn't happen though obviously, and I'm glad to have flown, and good luck to you too when you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area