Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:16 PM

113 posts, read 524,875 times

Advertisements

Heres the latest statistics released by the FBI. Crime is way over-dramatized on this site, so heres some concrete evidence. It seems as of 2005, Houston, TX is the worst city for crime in the country. Take a look at Philadelphia, PA, just above Phoenix. Looks like they are a close second. Paste the URL:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14503476/

Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
In my opinion, this is not a very good measurement when trying to determine crime. This particular site only gives the number of offenses, not the actual rate. For example, NYC has probably the highest number of murders, but one of the lowest crime rates for a major city.

You need to calculate the crime rate (# of murders/population) to get a meaningful number. The following site gives a better picture where Phoenix is ranked 14 out of the major 45 cities in the US. Note Houston in place 17.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Old 08-30-2006, 03:48 PM

113 posts, read 524,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
In my opinion, this is not a very good measurement when trying to determine crime. This particular site only gives the number of offenses, not the actual rate. For example, NYC has probably the highest number of murders, but one of the lowest crime rates for a major city.

You need to calculate the crime rate (# of murders/population) to get a meaningful number. The following site gives a better picture where Phoenix is ranked 14 out of the major 45 cities in the US. Note Houston in place 17.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate
No, its not, but it gives a nice breakdown of each individual crime, rather than just one figure-- for example, a poster says that "Phoenix is the murder capitol of the world", which clearly its not, this site is proof. Many on this site say "Phoenix is the worst city in the nation for crime", when it actually isnt. The statistic you have shows 14th, not #1 like everyone here says. Also, just looking at the number of incidents tells alot.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:25 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
Yes, I definitely agree with you on that. It should definitely change the perception that Phoenix is the worst place in the country, even though out here further east we don't hear that so much.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:50 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
No, its not, but it gives a nice breakdown of each individual crime, rather than just one figure-- for example, a poster says that "Phoenix is the murder capitol of the world", which clearly its not, this site is proof. Many on this site say "Phoenix is the worst city in the nation for crime", when it actually isnt. The statistic you have shows 14th, not #1 like everyone here says. Also, just looking at the number of incidents tells alot.
The other problem with this breakdown is that, as I've pointed out in this debate before, the incidence of crime per capita in Phoenix is higher when taking into account crime rates in adjacent suburban communities, which is the opposite trend of most cities. Teh statistics you're referencing refer to just the city of Phoenix itself, not the whole valley. Consider that over 5 million people live in metro Phoenix, while just over 1.5 million live in the city of Phoenix proper, and it's obvious that the more accurately reflective way to measure crime in the valley is to measure it over the entire metro area. When you do that, as they've done over on Sperling's site, you get the 4th-highest crime rate per capita in the nation. Which is not surprising since they're figuring in the data from places like Mesa, Glendale, and Chandler, all of which have higher crime rates per capita than central Phoenix. Contrast that with a place like Detroit (and most other older, more traditional cities) which has a terrible crime rate in the inner city but very little comparable crime outside of it, and Detroit's crime rate according to FBI statistics drops way down.

And according to the latest FBI statistics, the state of Arizona has the highest crime rate per capita of any state in the union. I doubt logically that metro Phoenix would somehow coincidentally have nothing to do with that or is bringing it down any. You're either delusional or you're favorably biased because you've never had anything bad happen to you here and you don't see it on a daily basis. Trust me, it's real and it's bad.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:41 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Thank you for posting this information. I'm collecting research data in order to determine areas to investigate when we are ready to relocate. Very useful info there - thanks!

Old 09-17-2006, 02:36 PM

57 posts, read 71,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
Heres the latest statistics released by the FBI. Crime is way over-dramatized on this site, so heres some concrete evidence. It seems as of 2005, Houston, TX is the worst city for crime in the country. Take a look at Philadelphia, PA, just above Phoenix. Looks like they are a close second. Paste the URL:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14503476/
These stats aren't accurate because they don't include the entire metro area of Phoenix. When everywhere is included, then the Phoenix metropolitan area; the entire 37,000 square km's and 4 million plus population is one of the top few most dangerous metro centres per capita in the US.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:41 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
These stats aren't accurate because they don't include the entire metro area of Phoenix. When everywhere is included, then the Phoenix metropolitan area; the entire 37,000 square km's and 4 million plus population is one of the top few most dangerous metro centres per capita in the US.
Any link for this? I doubt it...

Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 AM

57 posts, read 71,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Any link for this? I doubt it...
Yes, it's all over the internet that the Pheonix metropolitan area is in the top few most dangerous in the US, but believe what you will, and live in denial if you choose.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 143,803 times
speedy is in a little dreamland in his head and doesnt ever say anything negative about phoenix area. I have also read all over the net that the phoenix area is the most dangerous area per capita in the united states. Just go to phoenix and watch the news and all the show is all the crime in the area. Start reading the phoenix area news papers online. Dont listen to speedy, Just read all his past posts and you will see all he does is pump up the area. All i can figure out if hes having a hard time dumping his investment properties like everyone else there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area