Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,752 times

Advertisements

Hi! Once I get into Arizona in 28 days and counting, I plan to gradually replace my furniture. (It was just easier to move what I already have for now than coordinating furniture delivery here and just hoping it arrived before the moving truck does lol!)

I know there are some furniture stores on Scottsdale by Kierland. Any recommendations for those stores or other stores within driving distance? Even a bit further out would be fine if you have some favorites as I am sure I could Google for directions.

I am looking for decent quality in mid-price range (ie I have no problem paying for quality furniture, but I dont want like the $10,000 armoires or the $200 Target variety...). I am not into contemporary furniture at all, but anything else is fair game.

Also, I definitely want some NICE outdoor furniture since I will have a patio (and unlike Ohio will be able to use it for more than 4 weeks a year). But I am not ecstatic about paying $2,000 for a single chair as much as I really liked it tho (I did venture into Robb & Stucky Patio lol!).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 04:59 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,163 times
Well, the ones up by Kierland are some of the more expensive stores. If you are looking to save some $$$ but want high end stuff you should look in the AZ Republic newspaper classified under the Estate sales, or Furniture headings. You can get some INCREDIBLE DEALS. Of course if you find this kind of bargain shopping tedious it's not for you. There are so many new home developments that have model homes that eventually sell all the nice furniture in the model. You can get stuff 1/2 price or less all the time. I haven't bought anything from a furniture store in years. The estate sales (the good ones are the ones you have to call first and make an apt.) sometimes have the most incredible stuff. Yes, it's not new. But I picked up a crocodile (yes, it's real) couch and love seat for $2,000. I know for a fact that it was purchased for $12,000 a few years prior. It was barely used. At the same house I got artwork and oriental rugs. Some rich old guy selling one of his houses and the contents. It is fun getting incredible deals on really, really, nice stuff. Oh, and if you like art...there is a great auction in old town Scottsdale. Just look in the paper under auctions. It is a great, fun way to spend a Sat/Sunday. Beware of the other auctions, like the one in Sun City. It's pretty much Goodwill stuff.

If I had to buy retail....guess I'd go to Roche Bobois, but it is extremely expensive. I think Robb and Stuckey is overpriced for what they sell. Kreiss is another very high end store in Scottsdale....kind of contemporary....very expensive. I think it is overpriced as well. If you like Danish Modern...there is a pretty nice store over by the Biltmore on Camelback Road. The name escapes me...but if you ask anyone that lives in Phx they will know it.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
Like the other poster said, the stores up there are pricey. There is an Ashleys though and they are much cheaper. The first time I went there I thought it was overpriced for the quality, but the last time I went there it seemed fine.

You can also try The Room Store if you'd like a living room set for $1500. It's decent furniture. I think I have bought two living rooms there in the last 12 years. There's one at Tatum and Thunderbird.

Patio furniture, I have no idea. We've never used any of our patios as they are a pain to clean (lots of dust/dirt). However, this fall I'd like to get a set and try our big patio and see how it goes.

I guess I gave you ideas for the cheaper stores, I don't know what "mid priced" would be. I hate spending lots of money on furniture. I guess I'm cheap. That will all change once I make more money.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:12 PM

24 posts, read 91,171 times
Ashley's and The Room Store have very cheap furniture. For quality furniture that doesn't break the bank try Crate and Barrel (located in Kierland Commons) and Pottery Barn (looked at the Biltmore and Chandler fashion Square). Very stylish and reasonably priced.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the recommendations! I am not experienced at all in the estate angle, but may give it a try and find a nice piece or 2.

I am familiar with Crate & Barrel-forgot they sold furniture! I have heard of Pottery Barn and will Google them. Ashleys and Room Store I will check those out too.

I also understand Macy's is now in the furniture business? I have been meaning to check out what they have/pricing etc.

sablebaby, my sister has an absolutely gorgeous like wrought iron "deep seating" (ie fluffy!) set with the outdoor sofa, chaises and everything. Like an outdoor living room. Actually I suspicion she bought it at Robb & Stuckey because a) it is by her house and she is lazy and b) they had some of the pieces in the showroom when I was there. I do think it most likely was overpriced for the quality tho because like the coffee table isn't very sturdy, the pieces arent quite as "heavy" as they appear, and the cushions dont seem all that "fluffy" or "nice fabric" to be worth what I know she paid. And right as soon as she bought it, some of the pieces on the bottom (dont know if they were decorative or the "floor protector" things) fell off and the coffee table shows every mark on it. I can tell you if I did drop that kind of money on outdoor furniture that stuff better last me at least 100 years and still look brand new lol!

Keep the ideas coming!

Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 AM

47 posts, read 198,935 times
We recently furnished our home in Glendale and almost exclusively used Levitz. They were not the cheapest, but we found the quality and service were excellent. I know there are a number of stores in the Valley, so a search on Google should help you locate them. Happy shopping!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,798 times
We found some nice pieces at Ashley's, including a quality leather couch for a reasonable price. Believe it or not, after going to Levitz, The Room store, Pruitt's, among others, we found exactly what we were looking for in a dual recliner and matching sofa at J.C. Penney.

For patio furniture you might also want to try Paddock Pools.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:48 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Ikea might be worth considering.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:40 AM

Manum Mike-I am not an Ikea kind of gal. HOWEVER, I do have to furnish my 19 year old son's bedroom and he has already told me he doesnt want the same kind of stuff I do in the rest of the house. So I may have him check out Ikea for his room! Excellent idea and I know Ikea wont break the bank and most likely has things appealing to him and he likes a bit more modern than I do. And he isnt really into the "furniture appreciation" age yet-->his current room is furnished in early Walmart (his choice) and he is perfectly content. My involvement in his room: just close the door. ;-)

Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazgaz View Post
We recently furnished our home in Glendale and almost exclusively used Levitz. They were not the cheapest, but we found the quality and service were excellent. I know there are a number of stores in the Valley, so a search on Google should help you locate them. Happy shopping!
Thanks for reminding me where I actually bought my furniture! Scratch my last post. I have no idea why I thought I bought everything at the room store. I bought my last two living room sets at Levitz. Duh!

ivana... let us know what you find when you get here, as I will be in the market for another living room set. I think it's time for a change. My furniture now is a deep purple, it's pretty cool. But I think I'll go with something simple next time, like a sectional or something and not 3 pieces crowding my room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area