Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done about the coyote invasion?
Nothing. Coyotes were here first. 76 55.07%
The proper authorities should relocate them to the desert. 39 28.26%
Shoot them. 25 18.12%
Build an urban sanctuary for them. 6 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:12 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times

Advertisements

There are some who say resources should be used to relocate them further out away from populated areas. Well that has some good intentions and everything, but if there's nothing that stops them from coming back, you'll be faced with the same problem. The best thing to do is keep things that attract them, away - dogs, cats, and other pets - I know it's tough sometimes to keep them inside, but it's either that or clean up their remains the next day after the coyotes have a feast.

Don't keep garbage outside for too long, and if you take Fido out for a walk around the neighborhood, keep a gun with you just in case he runs off and encounters a coyote.

We had a problem with coyotes last year because our subdivision is next to a big park and I've seen them run through the neighborhood, but the Game & Fish Dept took care of that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 08:12 AM

27,371 posts, read 27,421,823 times
The reality is, wildlife was in many areas before the builders were. There will still be a few stragglers here and there, with the coyotes, snakes, jackrabbits, other desert creatures. The areas that are not so populated now can and/or will be soon, so, that might lead to relocating them again. And again.
I think there was a post somewhere but dont hold me for positive, that maybe its time to start thinking of building 'up' instead of sprawled out, because pretty soon this could turn into one big metro state, like MA or NY, rather than the desert its suppose to be? Just my 2c here.

Last edited by country pride; 05-02-2008 at 10:28 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 AM

165 posts, read 512,777 times
I don't live in Arizona yet but am tring to sell my home in MI to relocate to Northern AZ. I like seeing coyotes, I have had the good fortune to see two in my area. I have dogs but they do not live outside, and are only out when I'm home. Humans have already killed off so many species, and if given a chance would even bring coyotes onto the endangered list. These beautiful animals were here long before us, we are invading their space. I'm a tree hugging animal loving Vegetarian that would rather be surrounded by coyotes then the humans that want to kill them and any other animal that walks across their path...
Debbie

Old 08-05-2007, 08:40 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
....I think there was a post somewhere but dont hold me for positive, that maybe its time to start thinking of building 'up' instead of sprawled out, because pretty soon this could turn into one big metro state, like MA or NY, rather than the desert its suppose to be? Just my 2c here.
LA Woman, I'll pitch in another 25 cents for your view on "building upwards" - I agree! And I said it before, Phoenix is not the ideal location for a huge metropolis like New York or Chicago, and I don't think it'll ever get as big as either one of those cities.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 AM

21 posts, read 76,163 times
I hope people expect to see coyotes when they buy houses on the outskirts of town, and on new subdivisions built on desert land. That is their home after all....

Old 08-05-2007, 10:16 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie SE MI View Post
I don't live in Arizona yet but am tring to sell my home in MI to relocate to Northern AZ. I like seeing coyotes, I have had the good fortune to see two in my area. I have dogs but they do not live outside, and are only out when I'm home. Humans have already killed off so many species, and if given a chance would even bring coyotes onto the endangered list. These beautiful animals were here long before us, we are invading their space. I'm a tree hugging animal loving Vegetarian that would rather be surrounded by coyotes then the humans that want to kill them and any other animal that walks across their path...
Debbie
There are some excellent (and HILARIOUS) responses on this thread and I'm really happy there are so many of us who feel the same way. I was afraid to hear some possible responses after reading the OP. I especially love ponderosa, dazgaz, and aj's ideas.

Debbie, I'm the same way. I became a vegetarian just this year and never felt more moral in my life. Now I never feel any guilt when I eat a meal. So, to think about killing innocent wild animals just gets to me.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:27 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LA Woman, I'll pitch in another 25 cents for your view on "building upwards" - I agree! And I said it before, Phoenix is not the ideal location for a huge metropolis like New York or Chicago, and I don't think it'll ever get as big as either one of those cities.
WOW . . . 25 cents!

Mike, aka: THE BIG SPENDER!

Old 08-05-2007, 12:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
"Coyotes do not belong in an urban environment. These are desert creatures."

Once upon a time they were desert creatures, when there was nothing in the desert. Now, they live in all fifty states and in many major urban areas. Often, urban areas provide good habitats for coyotes, and urban areas have natural prey like mice, rats, and other little varmints. Unfortunately that once in a while involves small dogs and house cats. Furthermore, they roam out from 3 to 12 miles from their den, so if there is good food and water within that area, getting rid of them is obviously not easy. Consider how fast they can spread when each litter can spread miles.

Because of their adaptability they live in all fifty states and in many major cities. Wherever there is good eating and refuge (densely wooded or vegetated areas, or areas where they can conceal themselves) you'll find them. There are a lot of urban settings that are favorable for coyotes. Parks, canals, or anywhere that has a lot of food and water.

Interestingly, Scottsdale Airport lists the following information: "COYOTES OCCASIONALLY CROSSING RUNWAY 03/21 & TAXIWAYS"

Scottsdale Airport didn't just appear, neither did the airpark around it. However, the surrounding area provides plenty of water and undoubtedly enough natural prey and scavenging opportunities to keep the coyotes there.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM

27,371 posts, read 27,421,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2hover View Post
I hope people expect to see coyotes when they buy houses on the outskirts of town, and on new subdivisions built on desert land. That is their home after all....

Snakes, scorps, prarie dogs, centipedes, even a tarantula, so far Ive been introduced to all of them since we've started building in some remote areas.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
How 'bout a "happy medium" on this one, Valley?

As with the Mountain Lions / Bobcats down here, catch the Coyotes and relocate them far far out into the desert where they not just belong but will be much better off. If, by some chance, one returns then consider death by a humane means.
I agree, Bummer ... and that's how I voted (to move them to the desert). The only problem I can see with that idea is the fact that coyotes are transients. They'll likely come right back, even if they're moved far out into the desert.

So we have to ask: why are they coming into urban areas? It's not so much the theory that we built upon "their" land ... but more likely the drought conditions that send them to the Valley to hunt food & water. Think about it: they're spotted frequently in May & June (our two driest months). And after a drier than normal winter, there just isn't enough vegetation or water for them to survive on during the dry season.

Even so, I still say that they DO NOT belong in urban areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike
Don't keep garbage outside for too long, and if you take Fido out for a walk around the neighborhood, keep a gun with you just in case he runs off and encounters a coyote.
I probably couldn't bring myself to shoot a coyote ... unless I felt that one was going to attack me or my dog. Even so, gunning one down might land you in jail because I heard that shooting coyotes in the city limits is illegal.

Several years ago I bought I pellet gun to shoot these pesky woodpeckers that like to hang around my house ... pecking the side of the house, wooden objects, metallic light fixtures, you name it! But I was told that a city ordinance makes it illegal to shoot them, too. Thank your bleeding heart protectionists for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby
Debbie, I'm the same way. I became a vegetarian just this year and never felt more moral in my life. Now I never feel any guilt when I eat a meal. So, to think about killing innocent wild animals just gets to me.
I realize you have a right to your opinion, but some of you people really amaze me. You actually give the impression that wild animals are superior to humans and pets. Yes, they were here first, but so were rattlesnakes. Normally these desert creatures move away when new developments are built.

"Innocent wild animals"? I don't think so! Not when they congregate in urban areas and attack innocent people and their pets. Would you like to step outside your house and have a rattlesnake bite you on the ankle? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area